Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Gun 'BuyBack' - Long Island Cops Run Out Of Cash

"Mark DeAngelis heard that Suffolk County was giving people $200 gift cards to turn in illegal handguns last weekend, so he looked behind a rafter in a warehouse he rents and found a revolver he stashed there 20 years ago, he said.

He called Suffolk's Third Precinct in Bay Shore, confirmed that they were still doing the program and then drove there and turned over the gun, he said.

But after he handed the gun to the officer, he said he got bad news: There was no money left.

"He basically said, 'You just gave me an illegal handgun. We're out of money. Do you have a problem with that?'" said DeAngelis, 43, of Patchogue, who said he bought the gun to get it out of the hands of a man he considered dangerous."

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/cr...,6473155.story
    As a former Long Islander (not something I am particularly proud of being), things work there like this: All handguns have been "criminalized". If you have not gotten a license (which is a major, royal pain-in-the-butt to get) first, and did not get the specific handgun "registered" to *your* specific pistol license (through the Pistol Licensing Section either in Yaphank or Riverhead in Suffolk County), then any handgun you may have on your person or among your property or possessions anywhere is considered an "illegal" handgun. The gun might still be in the original box still unopened, but because you are not licensed and/or the gun is not registered to *your* license, it is an 'illegal' gun there.

Across the country (most popularly in places where firearms have been "outlawed"), they run these so-called "BuyBack" programs. Typically, the people who bring in the guns are honest citizens who either "steal" them from "criminals" (friends or family) they know personally or they are overly "remorseful" criminals who obtained them illegally (who tend to have never used them). Either way, the guns turned in are usually pieces of 'junk' that probably wouldn't fetch more than $50.00 at a pawn shop.

I've yet to see any statistics that prove that "Gun BuyBack" programs lower any crime rates. I've yet to see any evidence whatsoever that these programs do anything other than grab headlines and, maybe, put a feather in some politician's cap.
    Last edited by Bruce; December 24th, 2008 at 03:53 PM.
    Cogito, ergo armatus sum.
    ...Say that to my face.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Gun 'BuyBack' - Long Island Cops Run Out Of Cash

If they tried to arrest him for leaving with his revolver, wouldn't that be entrapment?

ETA, I don't see why he didn't give his name to the cops. He had no issue giving it to the media.

(Monroe County)

This is my favorite line:

"If they hand us an illegal handgun and we have no money, we can't give back the gun," he said.

I guess the idea of putting out a "CLOSED" sign or "Sorry out of money" sign wouldn't work would it? What would be awesome is if someone tried turning in a POS that they had laying around, that was legal and they said sorry you can't have it back... then they sued the police for it.

200.00... wow thats a lot of cash. I'm tempted to go buy 40 or 50 C&R pistols for 70 bucks each, hand them all in and make some serious profit!
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    200.00... wow thats a lot of cash. I'm tempted to go buy 40 or 50 C&R pistols for 70 bucks each, hand them all in and make some serious profit!
    Hmm... Could you transport them from Pa. to Suffolk, Long Island legally with your C&R License?

If so, that would indeed be profitable!

However, and unfortunately, (as the title implies)... the cops are out of money. Maybe that's what was happening?
    Cogito, ergo armatus sum.
    ...Say that to my face.

(Cumberland County)

Seriously. What a great way to confiscate guns and sell to the BG. Want to know where the gangbangers are getting their guns. Duh. Where is the proof the "cops" had the money and where is the proof what the cops did with the guns?

Yup. I'm callin you out. Prove you had the money and prove what you did with the guns you confiscated. I'll wait NY.

I am glad I no longer reside within the confines of New York State.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Hmm... Could you transport them from Pa. to Suffolk, Long Island legally with your C&R License?

If so, that would indeed be profitable!

However, and unfortunately, (as the title implies)... the cops are out of money. Maybe that's what was happening?
    even better! remember - ILLEGAL firearm buy back! They are illegal once they cross the line... no issue

I am curious what would have happened if someone got stopped while taking an illegal gun to a buyback.. would they get in trouble?

Supposedly over 94 people returned guns... I think its just a matter of getting the right amount of money to make it worth everyone's time. 50.00 isn't worth the gas or hassle... 100... yeah maybe... 200, hell yeah!

shit 200.00 is more then a HiPoint costs brand new! you can get Bryco/Jennings for less then 100.00 brand new... No wonder so many people went... they wanted to upgrade!
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

bait n switch... walmart would get sued... maybe LIPD should too...
    This Space For Rent

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Seventy4Blazer View Post
    bait n switch... walmart would get sued... maybe LIPD should too...
    I'm sure they put something on the ad like "while supply of gift cards last".

I'm still shocked over the 200.00 per gun... if I was a new yorker I'd be up in arms. thats a LOT of tax payer money being handed out for a lot of guns that aren't even worth 100.00 I'm sure. Also I'm sure a lot of those guns have crime attached to them and the people handing them in are getting 200.00 to have the evidence destroyed.

Handing in illegal weapons should not be a profitable venture. 50.00 covers the cost of gas, and inconvience for takign it in... 200.00 is profit.
    Last edited by Dredly; December 26th, 2008 at 10:23 AM.