Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Can Landlords Ban Guns?

In Pennsylvania, if you are renting your residence from a landlord, can he legally forbid you from having a gun on the property you are renting?

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Can Landlords Ban Guns?

If it's not in the contract/lease, then I'd have to think his wishes are meaningless.

(Montgomery County)

Check out this recent thread

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...ry-rights.html

IANAL, but the short answer is "Yes"

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by XACEX View Post
    In Pennsylvania, if you are renting your residence from a landlord, can he legally forbid you from having a gun on the property you are renting?
    I think a landlord can ban anything he wants as long as it doesn't go astray of the discrimination laws, and it's in the lease.
    Every person takes his own risks. I personally would go with the old " what he don't know won't hurt him "deal. Are you going to worry about your safety, or a silly rule? Your call.
    " The Seeds of Oppression Will One Day Bear The Fruit of Rebellion."

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by tes151 View Post
    I think a landlord can ban anything he wants as long as it doesn't go astray of the discrimination laws, and it's in the lease.
    Every person takes his own risks. I personally would go with the old " what he don't know won't hurt him "deal. Are you going to worry about your safety, or a silly rule? Your call.
    If a landlord refuses to rent to a gun owner wouldn't that be discrimination? By the same token, wouldn't is be discrimination for a business to ask me to leave for having my pistol?

I know I am grasping at straws here, but this has been on my mind for some time now.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by tes151 View Post
    I second the whole "What he doesn't know won't hurt him" rule!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ReconLdr View Post
    If a landlord refuses to rent to a gun owner wouldn't that be discrimination? By the same token, wouldn't is be discrimination for a business to ask me to leave for having my pistol?

I know I am grasping at straws here, but this has been on my mind for some time now.
    no, as "gun owner" is not a "protected class" of person like a person with a disability, a minority, ethnic group, or other such group covered by Equal Opportunity, or ADA.

they can ban gun owning, fish owning, velvet elvis owning, motorcycle owning people...with no repercussions.

cant say "no blacks, no handicapped" etc.

no guns is perfectly allowable... and though i'd never agree to live there, i believe its the right of the landowner to say what can and cant be done on and in their property.

you have the right not to live there.

the private owners personal property rights of stores/homes and other property supersedes your rights, which is how it should be.
    Last edited by JayBell; November 27th, 2009 at 08:12 PM.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Allegheny County)

If the lease that you signed when renting the place has a no firearms/weapons clause, then yes, you cannot have guns in the place. He's not "banning" guns, but not allowing them on the premises. However, if your lease does not state this you can have all the guns you want in the place.

If this is in the lease then I only halfway agree with the "what they don't know won't hurt them" crowd. You gave your word when you signed the document, and I'm not one to go back on my word.

The place where I live has such a firearms clause, but I took it up with my landlord before signing it. She is pro RKBA, and has the clause in there as a blanket to protect her and to discourage idiots who may have illegal weapons. I asked her to amend the lease contract to clarify that legally owned weapons are allowed prior to my signing it, and she happily obliged, and I have a signed copy of the amended document, including an extra signature next to said amendment.
    Sec. 21. The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

Sec. 25. To guard against transgressions of the high powers which we have delegated, we declare that everything in this article is excepted out of the general powers of government and shall forever remain inviolate.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell View Post
    no, as "gun owner" is not a "protected class" of person like a person with a disability, a minority, ethnic group, or other such group covered by Equal Opportunity, or ADA.

they can ban gun owning, fish owning, velvet elvis owning, motorcycle owning people...with no repercussions.

cant say "no blacks, no handicapped" etc.

no guns is perfectly allowable... and though i'd never agree to live there, i believe its the right of the landowner to say what can and cant be done on and in their property.

you have the right not to live there.

the private owners personal property rights of stores/homes and other property supersedes your rights, which is how it should be.
    I know banning gun owners wouldn't be discrimination "legally". But denying a tenant on that criteria alone would meet the definition:

Discrimination is a sociological term referring to the treatment taken toward or against a person of a certain group that is taken in consideration based on class or category.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Lackawanna County)

Our new landlord said he would be dissappointed if he came by and didnt see racks of guns on the walls
    Millions for defense, Not one cent for tribute!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast