Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Question Is it worth searching for ammo?

I have off from work tomorrow and was seeing if it was worth it going to local shops for ammo, without being disappointed of "sold out" and "excessive pricing", or can I still find reasonably priced ammo at places like surplus city and tanners? in basic search of 40, 9, 38spl, 357mag,

Default Re: Is it worth searching for ammo?

Quote Originally Posted by Snuff View Post
    I have off from work tomorrow and was seeing if it was worth it going to local shops for ammo, without being disappointed of "sold out" and "excessive pricing", or can I still find reasonably priced ammo at places like surplus city and tanners? in basic search of 40, 9, 38spl, 357mag,
    the few shops I hit up seems to still have lots of `my` type of ammo; 9mm luger and 38. special. not too sure about everything else, but shelves seemed to have lots of dif kinds.

I've been looking for reasonably priced(.40 or less) .45 ACP for days and no luck.
    I have 500rds but it would be nice to have some more. I'm not going to pay .50 .60 a round. I can wait.

(Allegheny County)

Definitely worth looking around, especially on a Tuesday, when shipments are coming in but everybody else is at work.

Over the weekend out my way, Gander Mountain had plenty of everything but 9mm. Wal-Mart had nothing but .380 and .45. A local gun shop had box upon box of 9mm just in, but no .380.

Maybe you'll get lucky and get to hoard a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Snuff View Post
    I was in Tanners today and their ammo selection was slim at best.. Plenty of 22lr, some .40, sold out of .45auto
    Last edited by AlphaChase; February 18th, 2013 at 09:23 PM.

(Luzerne County)

use the phone... saves gas

Tuesdays are awesome. Go early, before the associates put away their freight. I usually buy the stuff right off their cart still in the freight boxes. I've gotten really lucky my last 10 or so tries, however, the brands are not your favorite, and the prices are not either, and most places are putting strict limits on boxes. I got lucky the other day on a box of 350 (a small ammo box of 7 boxes of 50 rounds) of Blazer 9mm (counted as one box toward their 3 box limit!), but turned down the Blazer 40SW. They also had two cases of 10 boxes of UMC 223, which I DO like, but since I was already getting *one* box with the 9mm I had to only get 2 boxes of UMC 223.

So go on a weekday, go early, and find the guys who work there, become friendly, and take intel from them. Find out when they get freight. Find out when they will be getting shipments, have them look in the computer. Use their willingness to be big shots against them. Then use that information to get your ammo. Or even better, tell us

Quote Originally Posted by redturbo0 View Post
    use the phone... saves gas
    def sound advice. I always call before taking the high gas price drive these days.

(Bucks County)

Every time I have been in Surplus in the past 3 weeks or so they have bulk .40, 9mm, .45 and 7.62x54r...I would call them up. .40 was $300 +tax per 1000 for Speer FMJ

Hokkmike Guest

Went to a gun show last Saturday. Was surprised to see Tula 7.62x39 ammo in significant quantities for under $7 a box. Also, my LGS has boxes of 7.62x39, 7.62x54R, and .223 at reasonable prices. So, my answer to your question would be a qualified "yes".

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast