Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default LEO Cheapshot ??

Saw this on the front page this morning. Was this statement a warning to road ragers or a cheap shot against CCW holders by the LEO?

http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/ne...7-1359192.html

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: LEO Cheapshot ??

Quote Originally Posted by PocketProtector View Post
    Saw this on the front page this morning. Was this statement a warning to road ragers or a cheap shot against CCW holders by the LEO?

http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/ne...7-1359192.html
    I read it as a simple statement of fact; don't go looking for trouble you are not prepared to handle.

(Allegheny County)

I find it to be a little of both.

The warning is that "you never know..."

The cheap shot is that it makes it sound like people with permits are likely to be involved in "road rage". (because they have a gun)
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Erie County)

Interesting the quote is the last line in the article. Sounds like the author is the one trying to talk about guns not the officer. (Yes you heard me right)

They should raise the speed limit, that would solve the problem If I wanted to go 5mph then I'd walk, and if I wanted to go 15mph I'd ride a horse

(Lebanon County)

You never know who you're running up against. Half of the people in Bucks County have gun permits.

- Buckingham police Sgt. J.R. Landis
    And of course that's the statement that the media chooses to drawt attention to the story. Makes it sound like you need to be afraid of permit holders, it's actually quite the opposite. There are too many people who are armed with all sorts of weapons, lug wrenches, bats, flashlights, brass knuckles, automobiles, knives... and the list goes on. The permit holders are obviously the ones more apt to obey the law, it's the others you have to worry about. I think it was an insensitive statement that wasn't well thought out, inadvertently pissing off the very people who should be getting respect and not mentioning the real threat.
    What he should have said is something along the lines of "You never know who has what sort of weapon and how willing they might be to use it".
    But then we have to remember that guns are the real threat, not people.

(Perry County)

I don't think it was intended as a cheap shot. I think he was just stating a fact. The only problem I have is with the way he worded his statement. By wording it in such a way, he insinuates that a person who legally carries a gun becomes a menace if you provoke them. What he should have said is "...because you never know who may be carrying a gun."

According to him, the old phrase "Instant asshole, just add alcohol" can be made to be "Instant danger, just add a handgun."
    Dave G.

"Gun control has not worked in D.C. The only people who have guns are criminals. We have the strictest gun laws in the nation and one of the highest murder rates. It's quicker to pull your Smith & Wesson than to dial 911 if you're being robbed."

-Lieutenant Lowell Duckett, Special Assistant to DC Police Chief; President, Black Police Caucus, The Washington Post, March 22, 1996

FN Herstal FNP-9M 9mm compact
    Taurus model 85 .38 special

(Bucks County)

Knowing the rag this was printed in, there is no doubt that the papers intent was to make people think that it's the permit holders who are to be feared.
    As for the LEO, why did he single out permit holders rather than just someone with a gun?.....strange.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    The permit holders are obviously the ones more apt to obey the law, it's the others you have to worry about.
    I did not know that.

(Bucks County)

It is a testament however, that according to this LEO, even though HALF the people in Bucks County have gun permits.....it's not the OK Corral.
    Where are all the shootouts that the antis tell us to fear??
    Oh yeah....they're in the HOOD where NO ONE has a permit !!!!!

(Potter County)

how about LEO's doing their job and enforcing traffic laws (what a unique thought)

this is one of many reasons we left mt laurel nj. the police there gave a free for all to traffic offenders (no traffic enforcemant that i could see at all) to do what ever they wish on twp roads !! making life miserable for those of us who obayed the traffic laws

so the LEO's blaim "road rage" on others rather than themselves who are part of the problem

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast