Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (York County)

Default LTCF Prohibited Offenses

Ive looked a bit and cant really find the answer to this question. What kind of offenses would get a LTCF application denied? I passed the PICS background check when I purchased my firearm, so i should be ok, but just want to be sure.

Basically the only offenses i have are traffic offenses (speeding warning, tail light out, expired emissions/inspection), what happened though was for the inspection problem i forgot about the ticket and didnt pay it. As a result of this there was a bench warrant issued for me and my license was suspended. Well one night i was out going to the store and got pulled over, i was issued a ticket for driving on a suspended license, arrested for the warrants, and taken into central booking for a few hours until i had someone come pay.

As of now i have no outstanding tickets or warrents and im clean of any other crimes. Would this arrest keep me from being approved for a LTCF?

Thanks in advance

(Delaware County)

Default Re: LTCF Prohibited Offenses

I asked a similar question a while back, "Are the requirements to buy a handgun and obtain an LTCF the same, if not how are they different?"

The answer

..... the LTCF is harder, it includes all of the purchase requirements and adds the drug conviction and character /reputation provision.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Thrillz View Post
    Ive looked a bit and cant really find the answer to this question. What kind of offenses would get a LTCF application denied? I passed the PICS background check when I purchased my firearm, so i should be ok, but just want to be sure.

Basically the only offenses i have are traffic offenses (speeding warning, tail light out, expired emissions/inspection), what happened though was for the inspection problem i forgot about the ticket and didnt pay it. As a result of this there was a bench warrant issued for me and my license was suspended. Well one night i was out going to the store and got pulled over, i was issued a ticket for driving on a suspended license, arrested for the warrants, and taken into central booking for a few hours until i had someone come pay.

As of now i have no outstanding tickets or warrents and im clean of any other crimes.
    Would this arrest keep me from being approved for a LTCF?

Thanks in advance

Basically, no.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Butler County)

Doesn't appear you should have a problem unless the sheriff decides to use the character clause against you. Doubt he/she would and think you would win on appeal.

(York County)

Much thanks for the fast responses. Im not sure if it makes a difference but im applying in York county. I do have a couple more questions ill ask below. Basically right now i dont plan on actually carrying my firearm on me as ive just started shooting in the last month and i want to be 100% confident in my abilities before i carry. I dont want to take the chance on hitting an innocent person if i do have to defend my life with a firearm.

Anyway a few more questions (all pertaining to York county):

Where can i fill out/submit an application? More specifically can i do it in person at the courthouse in York city?

Will they take my photo at the courthouse for the license or do i have to provide my own?

How important/necessary are references and employment contact info and is allowable to use family for personal references? I ask this because at the moment i am unemployed so i wouldnt be able to supply an employer contact info, and i also do not know people in this state well enough to put them down as a reference.

And finally (off topic for CC), say hypothetically speaking, i chose to open carry my firearm. With the legalities of this i know that its legal to OC in public places, but upon entering your vehicle the firearm is considered concealed. If i dont have a LTCF, is there anything i can do to "unconceal" the firearm? Like put it on the front dash in plain site?

Thanks again for the answers and taking time to respond. Its greatly appreciated

(York County)

Much thanks for the fast responses. Im not sure if it makes a difference but im applying in York county. I do have a couple more questions ill ask below. Basically right now i dont plan on actually carrying my firearm on me as ive just started shooting in the last month and i want to be 100% confident in my abilities before i carry. I dont want to take the chance on hitting an innocent person if i do have to defend my life with a firearm.

Anyway a few more questions (all pertaining to York county):

Where can i fill out/submit an application? More specifically can i do it in person at the courthouse in York city?
    Yes,in fact you must. That's the new(er) one on N. George St. The Sheriff's office is on the 1st floor, to the right of the elevators.

Will they take my photo at the courthouse for the license or do i have to provide my own?
    They will take your photo.

How important/necessary are references and employment contact info and is allowable to use family for personal references? I ask this because at the moment i am unemployed so i wouldnt be able to supply an employer contact info, and i also do not know people in this state well enough to put them down as a reference.
    I used one reference from York County, and one from Maryland. The deputy told me to my face that it didn't matter and processed my app without ever contacting either reference.

I also left the employment section completely blank. It is leftover from years ago and is no longer necessary. You do not have to have a job to exercise your 2A rights!

And finally (off topic for CC), say hypothetically speaking, i chose to open carry my firearm. With the legalities of this i know that its legal to OC in public places, but upon entering your vehicle the firearm is considered concealed. If i dont have a LTCF, is there anything i can do to "unconceal" the firearm? Like put it on the front dash in plain site?
    When getting into a vehicle with a firearm it is NOT "considered concealed" by anyone who knows what they are talking about. You have to have your LTCF (or permit license from any other state) to carry in any vehicle if you are traveling to places other the listed exceptions, IE, the range, gun smith hunting, etc.

Without the LTCF you are severely limited in the places you can transport legally. Get the LTCF.

Thanks again for the answers and taking time to respond. Its greatly appreciated
    When you go downtown, allow up to an hour (likely much less) they will usually process while you wait, and you should be on your way with your new LTCF in hand in under 30 minutes. I was back in my car in under 20 minutes, and I was 3rd in line!

(Butler County)

You can download the application on the sheriff's web page. You will have to appear in person for the picture.

References can't be family members

Unemployed doesn't matter.

You cannot transport in your car to OC.

See link for app and instructions:
    http://www.yorksheriff.org/concealed.html

(York County)

Thanks a bunch guys! I really appreciate the fast answers. Looks like ill be going to get my permit tomorrow

(York County)

Thanks a bunch guys! I really appreciate the fast answers. Looks like ill be going to get my permit tomorrow

Good. We'll be expecting a full report!

(York County)

Absolutely! Ill update this when i get home from the courthouse and let you know how it went. And if theres enough time ill be heading out to the range right after that to put another 100 rounds through

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast