Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Crawford County)

Default Shipping muzzleloader

I am in the process of selling a muzzleloader via arms list to a gentlemen in AK ( I know right?). I have proof of age and verbal agreement that he would not be prohibited. My question comes to actual transfer of it to him. My (limited) understanding of things is that a muzzleloader does not qualify as a "firearm" by definition and therefore does not need to go through a FFL on the buyers end, meaning I could ship it directly to him.

Is this all correct? If not, someone please cite sources stating otherwise.

Thanks,

Micah
    Male RN

Longneck (Formerly Northern Lancaster County), Delaware

Default Re: Shipping muzzleloader

A few years ago, I sold an early Parker Hale 1853 Enfield 3-band musket on Gunbroker.

After receiving payment and a copy of his DL (a VA resident), I shipped it to the address listed on the DL with signature required for delivery.

I first went to a UPS Store, but they wouldn’t handle it. So, I had to go to a UPS distribution center to ship it. I informed them that it was a black powder muzzleloader, and off it went.

This is from Gunbroker’s website:
    'Antique' firearms need not be shipped to a licensed dealer. These can be shipped directly to the buyer. An antique firearm is a firearm built in or before 1898, or a replica thereof. The exact ATF definition of an antique firearm is:
    Antique firearm. (a) Any firearm (including any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured in or before 1898; and (b) any replica of any firearm described in paragraph (a) of this definition if such replica (1) is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition, or (2) uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.

On a side note: I had this Parker Hale because I was a Civil War re-enactor for many years – until I got too old for the physical end of it. I first contacted 2 CW re-enactment groups and offered it to them for $450. No one was interested. I listed it on Gunbroker and it sold for $875………good for me!