Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Talking My Silly question for the day

I like to ask silly questions. I take it on my self to provide comedy relief for the masses. With that in mind here is a silly yet serious one about CCW:

What would happen if you carried a handgun in your Jacket Pocket, you are mugged, and instead of trying to yank the heater out and point it at your neighborhood dirtbag, you just shoot him through your jacket? I ask because it seems to me that most muggings take place when you are condition white, they are damned near instantaneous, and pulling your gun out while a hoodlum has his already pointed at you seems a good way to get yourself ventilated. In response to this thought I thought about carrying a revolver in my pocket, hand on the grip. But I don't know what will happen:

Will your clothes catch on fire? Will it blow a little hole in your pocket or a gigantic one? Will this affect ballistics? Will a semi-automatic pistol jam because the casing can't eject? Will you burn your hand? Will aliens land?

Inquiring minds want to know - so fess up you guys.
    NEED should never enter into a discussion about RIGHTS

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: My Silly question for the day

Many of your questions are not answerable in yes or no terms. That said let's take a look.

Will your clothes catch on fire? Very unlikely, but not impossible. The "heat" is extremely short lived. Obviously many factors. Flammability of clothing, lint, flash of ammo/weapon, etc.

Will it blow a little hole in your pocket or a gigantic one?
    Depends. Thicker or insulated items will probably open up more due to the depth of the material.
    Thinner garments most likely pretty small. Again, the obvious variables come into play.

Will this affect ballistics? Most likely to SOME degree. However, at the range we are discussion it will be irrelevant. And once again, the variables including type of clothing come into play.

Will a semi-automatic pistol jam because the casing can't eject? Possible. If the inside of your pocket is constricting enough, yes.

Will you burn your hand? With a somewhat normal grip, I doubt it.

Will aliens land? Duh! They already did

All that said I would be cautious of ND due to the firearm not being secured in a holster. At the very least do not put ANYTHING else in that pocket (keys, gun, condoms , etc)

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    At the very least do not put ANYTHING else in that pocket (keys, gun, condoms , etc)
    Everyone knows you should NEVER keep Guns and Condoms in the same pocket!

Gun oil is petroleum based and will degrade the latex condom

(Susquehanna County)

Talking Re: My Silly question for the day

Quote Originally Posted by lildobe View Post
    Everyone knows you should NEVER keep Guns and Condoms in the same pocket!

Gun oil is petroleum based and will degrade the latex condom
    Dam pass that on to the Army Condoms are user to keep dirt out on the barrel

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by OneLungMcClung View Post
    I like to ask silly questions. I take it on my self to provide comedy relief for the masses. With that in mind here is a silly yet serious one about CCW:

What would happen if you carried a handgun in your Jacket Pocket, you are mugged, and instead of trying to yank the heater out and point it at your neighborhood dirtbag, you just shoot him through your jacket? I ask because it seems to me that most muggings take place when you are condition white, they are damned near instantaneous, and pulling your gun out while a hoodlum has his already pointed at you seems a good way to get yourself ventilated. In response to this thought I thought about carrying a revolver in my pocket, hand on the grip. But I don't know what will happen:

Will your clothes catch on fire? Will it blow a little hole in your pocket or a gigantic one? Will this affect ballistics? Will a semi-automatic pistol jam because the casing can't eject? Will you burn your hand? Will aliens land?

Well depends on the jacket and the gun. Get one of those nylon jackets it'll probably melt a little hole. Cotton and wool maybe smolder, Down filled, that has a low flash point so it might burn and melt. The shrouded hammer revolver would be good to go with the next round for a follow up, an exposed hammer might hang on the cloth, and an auto may/ probably would jam since it couldn't eject the empty.

On a side note, the bad guy, even if not hit from any of them would probably need a change of pants.

(Pike County)

Good reason for me to have my S&W 442!

(Westmoreland County)

It's a valid technique.

Will your clothes catch on fire?
    Escaping gases are very hot though I doubt your clothing would catch fire.

Will it blow a little hole in your pocket or a gigantic one?
    Probably a small one.

Will this affect ballistics?
    The effect will be insignificant.

Will a semi-automatic pistol jam because the casing can't eject?
    Most likely which is why a hammerless revolver is a better choice.

Will you burn your hand?
    No.

Try it on a square range. Buy a cheap coat / jacket and experiment. Wear a glove on your firing hand and EXERCISE CARE.

(Venango County)

Will aliens land?
    "Elvis didn't die...He just went home"

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

(Erie County)

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/theboxotruth.htm

Did you try looking there? They seem to have near everything, I didn't look though, just posted the link.

I read an article on this some years back, either SWAT or FIREPOWER magazine. They conducted tests. I believe the same folks also fired guns in an aquarium just to see what happened; but I digress...

As I recall, the hot gases can burn your hand, set fire to some materials, and your chance for a second shot depends heavily on your choice of weapon. Autoloaders will not cycle, the slide gets too much friction from the pocket material. Wheel guns with exposed hammers will probably catch on the fabric as well, perhaps on the first shot, creating a very awkward situation vis a vis yourself and the bad guy, especially if you've just said something macho like "Eat hot lead, punk!(CLICK)"

Your best bet is a shrouded hammer 5-shot revolver, and a glove.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast