Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: dog attack

(Philadelphia County)

Default dog attack

A few blocks from where I live in Philly a dog was off its leash attacked another dog. It wouldn't let go and came very close to killing the dog. The University of Pennsylvania veterinary emergency room was able to save the dog. I've seen the dog... his head was nearly taken off. It was an absolutely viscous attack.

The owner of the attacking dog tried to free the dogs and couldn't. It finally took a police officer to use his nightstick to pry the dog's jaw off of the other dog.

There is a real possibility that I could have been a witness to this had a left my house earlier that day. I can't say for certain what I would have done if I saw this and had my gun.

So, the question... what do you think you would have done? I don't know that I could have watched this and not shot the attacking dog.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: dog attack

Very strong kick to the ribcage of the attacking dog. If that doesn't work...

The attacking dog gets put down with a 40 caliber needle to the head. Period.
    Last edited by ViperGTS19801; December 16th, 2011 at 04:07 PM.

(Mercer County)

Ummmm, kicked it...

(Lancaster County)

Damnit, yet another attack from a ferocious Bichon Frise?
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    Very strong kick to the ribcage of the attacking dog. If that doesn't work...

The attacking dog gets put down with a 40 caliber needle to the head. Period.
    After seeing what the dog did to the greyhound it attacked, I don't think I would have attempted to kick it. I probably would have just shot it.

I'm having a hard time imaging myself pulling out my gun and shooting this dog in front of its owner. I think I would have though. Like I said, it almost took the dog's head off.

(Cumberland County)

Cool Re: dog attack

not trying to disagree about capping the offending dog. i have to wonder if this action would be justifiable in the eyes of the law. after all it is not like the dog was attacking you. you are also not coming to the defense of another person. rural areas may view this type of shooting differently than say philly. seems like a possible damned if you do or damned if you do not. another judgement call i would have to make on the fly at the time.

Human being attacked-no doubt, that's going to be a dead dog as quickly as can be safely done...but a dog that's not mine being attacked, and I'm not behind or near it? Not. Sure as heck I'm not going to launch a kick at it and risk becoming the target.

Where will the round stop? It would be a desperate situation if it's a person under attack and worth the risk to stop the attack, but as badly as I'd feel about the greyhound, I'm not taking that shot.

Take care
    Dave

(Bucks County)

It is legal to shoot a dog that is chasing game.

I gave a quick look at a book (pa laws relating to firearms) they give you at Doylestown when i renewed my license. I know it's in there,I just can't find it at the moment.if no one post it, I'll post it when i find it
    I'm sure someone here will be able to tell you were you would stand legally if you did put the dog down

but I do know what you mean,I think I'd have to ask the guy, unless he was one on those guys that has a dog for the status.(don't give a *uck about the animal)

if i couldn't shoot him i'd probly get my *ss chewed up too.I just wouldn't be able to stand by and do nothing..

was the attacker loose or the greyhound?

§ 2381. Dogs pursuing, injuring or killing game or wildlife

Except as otherwise provided in this title or by commission regulation, it is unlawful for any person controlling or harboring a dog to permit the dog to chase, pursue, follow upon the track of, injure or kill any game or wildlife at any time.

according to this site it looks like it would be legal.
    http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/stuspa3ps459_502.htm

I wouldn't think this would apply
    Last edited by 51158; December 16th, 2011 at 06:28 PM. Reason: found the statute

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by red dog View Post
    not trying to disagree about capping the offending dog. i have to wonder if this action would be justifiable in the eyes of the law. after all it is not like the dog was attacking you. you are also not coming to the defense of another person. rural areas may view this type of shooting differently than say philly. seems like a possible damned if you do or damned if you do not. another judgement call i would have to make on the fly at the time.
    Here is what the law says about it:

§ 459-501. Killing dogs; dogs as nuisances

(a) Legal to kill certain dogs.--Any person may kill any dog which he sees in the act of pursuing or wounding or killing any domestic animal, wounding or killing other dogs, cats or household pets, or pursuing, wounding or attacking human beings, whether or not such a dog bears the license tag required by the provisions of this act. There shall be no liability on such persons in damages or otherwise for such killing.

(b) Private nuisance.--Any dog that enters any field or enclosure where domestic animals are confined, provided that the enclosure is adequate for the purpose intended, shall constitute a private nuisance, and the owner or tenant of such field, or their agent or servant, may detain such dog and turn it over to the local police authority or State dog warden or employee of the department. While so detained, the dog shall be treated in a humane manner.

(c) Licensed dogs not included.--Licensed dogs, when accompanied by their owner or handler, shall not be included under the provisions of this section unless caught in the act of pursuing, wounding or killing any domestic animal, wounding or killing any dogs, cats or household pets, or pursuing, wounding or attacking human beings.
    Everything I have read says it would be completely legal. I'll memorize the statute so I can tell the owner that the bullet I put in his dog's head was legal.

Quote Originally Posted by 51158 View Post
    but I do know what you mean,I think I'd have to ask the guy, unless he was one on those guys that has a dog for the status.(don't give a *uck about the animal)

if i couldn't shoot him i'd probly get my *ss chewed up too.I just wouldn't be able to stand by and do nothing..

was the attacker loose or the greyhound?
    The attacking dog wasn't on a leash. I've waited as long as I can... let's watch the thread go to hell...

It was an unleashed, pregnant pit bull that attacked the greyhound. When it attacked the dog the owner put the leash on and tried pulling the pit bull off the greyhound causing more damage. Someone who watched this happen from the window of their house said they can't get the owner's screams for help out of their head.

I'm glad I wasn't there to have to decide what to do. Apparently the owner of the pit bull was completely distraught, very cooperative, and is doing what he can to help pay the $8k in vet bills. A pregnant dog off a leash is incredibly hazardous. (Any dog off a leash, really, but a pregnant dog especially.)

Quote Originally Posted by teriaki View Post
    So, the question... what do you think you would have done? I don't know that I could have watched this and not shot the attacking dog.
    Other peoples pets fighting in Philadelphia? Not my problem.

Jan
    So long and thanks for all the fish.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast