Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default NcStar Spotting Scope

I was looking at an NCStar spotting scope that is 15-40 x50mm. Has anyone used an NCStar spotting scope. Would this be sufficient to see where i am hitting from 100 yds. The scope is $23.50 with $4.65 s&h. Is it worth it.

(Northumberland County)

Default Re: NcStar Spotting Scope

For that low of a price, it probably is... Don't expect it to last forever though, I haven't had good luck with other NCstar products, I have found that there are other brands of optics on the cheap that are much more rugged and reliable...

(Montgomery County)

I went back and forth on this decision for a while. Sportsmansguide or Cheaperthandirt had a Bushnell Spacemaster 15-45x50 for sale a while back ($60).

This thing is great and I can see.22 holes at 100 yards with no problem. So magnification wise you are dead on. But again I dont know about that scope. I also wanted to get a weather proof (or 'armored') one as they usually withstand a bit more abuse.

Good luck!

(Chester County)

george

can you tell me if you can see 223 caliber holes at 300 yards with a 15-45. I want to get a spotting scope but I am not sure of magnification. I was thinking of 20-60. Leupold has the kits as well as burris. I think the leupold is around 500.

http://www.swfa.com/pc-6198-346-leup...scope-kit.aspx

http://www.swfa.com/pc-3396-346-leup...otter-kit.aspx

I was leaning towards this one cause of the price. Any thoughts? Good bad ugly?

http://www.swfa.com/pc-6488-1224-bur...k-spotter.aspx

(Montgomery County)

I had a NcStar once, and it was a P.O.S., so was the cheap BSA spotting scope I got from the Sportsman's Guide. Eventually I found a good deal on a Leupold at Cabella's Bargin Cave. Did I mention how much I hate Leupold? The first time I looked through one I realized how crappy my old scopes were in comparison, and I was forced to buy new scopes for all of my rifles.
    - May the forCZe be with you.

(Lebanon County)

I'd stay away from a new scope in that price range. If you pay for a cheap scope you get a cheap scope.
    Several years ago I bought a spotting scope at K-Mart in the $30.00 - $40.00 price range, I don't remember the brand but it wasn't worth a darn, I couldn't see holes in the black at 100 yards. The scopes I have on my rifles are better than that. I took it back the same day for a refund. The following weekend I bought a different brand in the same price range from Boscovs, same situation, took it back the same day. I read some reviews and decided on a Simmons 12-35 X 50 for around $60.00?, bought it from MidwayUSA. It was a lot better than the others I tried, but still not what I thought I need. I was spoiled on the Bushnell that my dad has. I think it's 24X. I don't know how old it is, but he's had it as long as I can remember. It is crystal clear and easy to see any holes in your targets. He uses it to spot while shooting silhouettes to 1000 yards and woodchucks even further than that. Just a few weeks ago I found an old Bushnell Competitor 20X with a 40mm objective lens at the flea market for $15.00. It looks just like my dad's but a bit smaller. I bought it without hesitation. Wow! What a difference. I promptly put my Simmons up for sale. The following week I happened to see an old Bushnell SentryII 48X with a 50mm objective lens on eBay, I bought it for $50.00. (I got $43.00 for the Simmons, that was a pretty cheap upgrade).
    What a beauty of a scope it is! The 48X is almost too much scope for 100 yards, the 20X is better suited for that distance. Check the auction sites, you might get lucky and find an older Bushnell there for an affordable price.