Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Getting a Handgun in NJ

I have a buddy who has never been into guns. Now with the economic turmoil & Obama getting into office he decided that he wants one. He started doing some research & tells me that in NJ you need a licenses to purchase a handgun and another license to own a handgun. He went on to say that since the PD is backed up it will take 6 months for these licenses. Finally as we were talking, he mentioned that 20 years back or so he had a class 3 misdemeanor. Will that give them reason to deny either license?

Default Re: Getting a Handgun in NJ

Quote Originally Posted by MMH View Post
    I have a buddy who has never been into guns. Now with the economic turmoil & Obama getting into office he decided that he wants one. He started doing some research & tells me that in NJ you need a licenses to purchase a handgun and another license to own a handgun. He went on to say that since the PD is backed up it will take 6 months for these licenses. Finally as we were talking, he mentioned that 20 years back or so he had a class 3 misdemeanor. Will that give them reason to deny either license?
    He will need to go to his local Police station and ask for an application for a firearms ID card, which should come with information you will need such as refrences, finger prints (which you have to make an appointment for) at the same time you file for your F.I.D. ask for a handgun permit and do that at the same time you do your F.I.D. it's like 2 bucks for each handgun permit. Every handgun you purchase will need a seperate permit (2.00 each) Example: with an application you could request 4 handguns=$8.00. All the information you need is available at your local police station. Welcome to the New Jermany world of guns. You'll find we don't even come close to the Freedoms our neighbors in Pa. enjoy. Their biggest decission of the day is if they feel like conceal carrying or open carrying today...hmmm tough choice huh? Make sure your friend takes a NRA approved basic handgun course, for his safety and others. By doing so or competing in 3 NRA approved competitions he would be eligible to apply for the Florida non-resident conceal carry permit. You can't carry here in New Jermany but you would be able to carry in 29 other States, Pa. being one of them. Remember as a gun owner you represent all gun owners so stay legal, and be smart. I hope this helps you and your friend. oh on the 20 year thing if it was that long ago it shouldn't come into play as long as he stayed out of trouble.
    Last edited by Tequila Sunrise; January 4th, 2009 at 12:30 PM. Reason: adding on

(Lancaster County)

When I was in NJ I never applied for a handgun but I know it all started and ended with the chief of police in your town. I know the guys at gun stores are assholes and think they are great because they can touch the guns in their displays and you cant. Once I was just looking at pistols at a place called Ramsey Outdoor Store and the asshole asked me if I have a firearms purchaser card. When I told him no he said I might as well keep walking. When I moved here and bought my first gun from Trout Run Sports I thought there was a three day waiting period. The gun I bought was used and had no box or anything. When the salesman handed me the gun and three mags and said have a nice day I was shocked. Happy but shocked. My wife sometimes wants to move back to NJ to be closer to family and friends. I lovingly tell her "we cant".

(Lancaster County)

Ya need a license to purchase, and a license to own? Sheesh. Do you need an additional permit to put bullets in it?

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Sunrise View Post
    SNIPPED

Make sure your friend takes a NRA approved basic handgun course, for his safety and others. By doing so or competing in 3 NRA approved competitions he would be eligible to apply for the Florida non-resident conceal carry permit.

SNIPPED
    When I applied 2 years ago, you only needed some kind of proof of competing once.

CMP may require 3 NRA approved competitions, without military service, but I don't think Florida Fish & Game* does.

My Mom has a condo in Ocean City, for some reason. The laws on non-residents bringing guns into NJ are a little fuzzy, so I just don't go. I think it's illegal to stop and pee on your way from point A to point B with a firearm in the car.

* - the branch of FL gov't that issues carry permits, IIRC
    Removed NRA Life Member pic. LaPierre and Chris Cox are ruining NRA.

Quote Originally Posted by Suburban View Post
    When I applied 2 years ago, you only needed some kind of proof of competing once.

CMP may require 3 NRA approved competitions, without military service, but I don't think Florida Fish & Game* does.

My Mom has a condo in Ocean City, for some reason. The laws on non-residents bringing guns into NJ are a little fuzzy, so I just don't go. I think it's illegal to stop and pee on your way from point A to point B with a firearm in the car.

* - the branch of FL gov't that issues carry permits, IIRC
    You might be right there. NRA competitors classification card or similar, notarized statement from a club, training facility or school,dd-214,NRA training, card showing completion of hunters ed. course.
    In NJ it ain't easy being cheesy! I know we suck but hey.......well not we "THEY" suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Sunrise View Post
    You might be right there. NRA competitors classification card or similar, notarized statement from a club, training facility or school,dd-214,NRA training, card showing completion of hunters ed. course.
    In NJ it ain't easy being cheesy! I know we suck but hey.......well not we "THEY" suck.
    on you going to your moms condo. I believe if you transport your gun and it's your place of residence you should be ok. check federal transport information for traveling into NJ. you can't leave the condo with a gun though that I know for sure, but you can have it there. (IANAL)

(Pike County)

MMH, just as a side note, the Firearms ID card and Permit to Purchase a Handgun only allow you to buy the gun, take it home, and take it to the range and gunsmith locked up. You can not carry with this paperwork.
    As a bit of a hint, if you ask for more that 2 purchase permits at one time most popo get very interested in the why.
    If your friend lives in a jurisdiction with no local PD, then the State Police handle the paperwork.
    Most departments will let you apply for the FID and the Handgun Purchase permit at the same time.
    The first time it takes a while, I have seen ones that took a year.
    When I lived in the PRNJ I had Purchase Permits go through in as fast a 2 weeks and as long as 4 months.
    A friend that I taught to shoot got his permits next day, as his Father was a lawyer in the town, and the popo took care of him.
    I think that they are getting lots of apps due to the political cumming later in the month.
    As to the record, have him contact a NJ lawyer that speciallizes in firearms, Evan Nappen is one of the best. http://www.evannappen.com/
    Last edited by gf45acp; January 4th, 2009 at 04:50 PM. Reason: sp

Quote Originally Posted by gf45acp View Post
    MMH, just as a side note, the Firearms ID card and Permit to Purchase a Handgun only allow you to buy the gun, take it home, and take it to the range and gunsmith locked up. You can not carry with this paperwork.
    As a bit of a hint, if you ask for more that 2 purchase permits at one time most popo get very interested in the why.
    If your friend lives in a jurisdiction with no local PD, then the State Police handle the paperwork.
    Most departments will let you apply for the FID and the Handgun Purchase permit at the same time.
    The first time it takes a while, I have seen ones that took a year.
    When I lived in the PRNJ I had Purchase Permits go through in as fast a 2 weeks and as long as 4 months.
    A friend that I taught to shoot got his permits next day, as his Father was a lawyer in the town, and the popo took care of him.
    I think that they are getting lots of apps due to the political cumming later in the month.
    As to the record, have him contact a NJ lawyer that speciallizes in firearms, Evan Nappen is one of the best. http://www.evannappen.com/
    I personally have gotten 4 permits at once with no problem and I know a few other people who have done the same or more without a problem. Permits sometimes take 30 days or more (I've heard some horror stories) I have gotten permits as fast as 1 1/2 weeks put one in before I went on vacation last year and when I got home there was a message on the answering machine telling me they were ready. I also was on the other end of that quickness prior to that I think they took close to a month and a half. Legally they are suppose to have them by 30 days. Evan Nappen is truly one of the best gun lawyers. Shook his hand at a hunting and fishing expo here in NJ. Just to thank him for what he does for gun rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    Ya need a license to purchase, and a license to own? Sheesh. Do you need an additional permit to put bullets in it?
    Don't give them any ideas!

But yes it is THAT bad over there.

Personally I think your buddy is screwed, NJ police will look for any excuse they can not to issue a permit.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast