Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Colisimo's closing?

I read this absurd editorial in the Phila Inquirer today. (Here's the link: http://www.philly.com/inquirer/opini..._a_prayer.html )

I wonder what the real story is? Wonder if someone wanting that location for a Hershey museum had anything to do with it? Or just good old political correctness?

Here are some excerpts (bold type added)

Dozens of faith-based activists who had no more authority than the moral force of their cause deserve much of the credit for shutting down one of Philadelphia's worst sources of handguns used in crimes.

Members of Heeding God's Call began regular protests in January outside gun dealer James Colosimo's store at 10th and Spring Garden Streets. That ramped up public pressure on federal authorities, who long had reason to suspect illegal gun sales originated at Colosimo's.

Without acknowledging a link to the protests, the U.S. Attorney's Office on Tuesday accused Colosimo's of selling 10 guns to people who employees "knew or had reason to believe" were illegal straw buyers fronting for gun traffickers.

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) also announced plans to revoke Colosimo's federal firearms license - a move that, Colosimo's attorney said Wednesday, would result in the gun shop's closing.

Colosimo denies he knowingly sold weapons to illegal buyers. He chalked up the fact that he had sold so many guns used in crimes to his high-volume business. The ATF charges contradict that claim.

What's important now is that a major source for guns in crimes has been shuttered. As Bryan Miller, executive director of Cease Fire New Jersey, said, "Law-abiding citizens should rejoice."

They long had reason to suspect... and did what? Were the straw buyers tracked down and prosecuted?
    worst sources of handguns used in crimes
    ... major source for guns in crimes ... how many crimes, how many from his store?
    10 guns...
    from his high volume business ... how many were sold illegally/mistakenly? Again, I crave numbers.
    rejoice ... that it's harder for honest citizens to get a gun? Because the bad guys will just take their business elsewhere.

Whew. I'm (almost) speechless. Can't wait to hear the real story. I'm aching to know how many gun crimes were committed in Phila last year and how many of those guns were bought illegally from Colisimo's? At least the justice system won't be bothered with this one, the Inquirer has convicted him already.

Ham radio: when all else fails.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Colisimo's closing?

So did this shop close? I have to stop in Philly to p/u my niece at Temple U today and wanted to stop to see if they had any deals with their closing.

(Philadelphia County)

another member here said, and I agree, that their normal prices were so bad that any great deals they have from liquidating will only bring prices down to just a little bit ABOVE normal retail. I won't miss the place, better shops will get the business.

I think it's interesting to note that the straw man capital of the world (as it is being made out to be) was somewhat of a cop hangout.

Also, those heed gods call people were are stupid morons.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by sttaffy View Post
    another member here said, and I agree, that their normal prices were so bad that any great deals they have from liquidating will only bring prices down to just a little bit ABOVE normal retail. I won't miss the place, better shops will get the business.

I think it's interesting to note that the straw man capital of the world (as it is being made out to be) was somewhat of a cop hangout.

Also, those heed gods call people were are stupid morons.
    Yeah, Colosimos was definitely overpriced, but you could haggle them down. Still, they sucked-- but I'm still pissed the anti-gunners brought so much pressure to bear that they got it shut down. Expect protests at SPAG next.
    "When law becomes despotic, morals are relaxed, and vice versa."-- Honore de Balzac, The Wild Ass's Skin...huh, huh..Balzac...Wild Ass...huh, huh