Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default AR and AK pistols and PA carry law. Please help

I am moving up to PA and plan on getting my concealed weapons license. PA is a shall issue state so I dont see any problems here, It does not clearly define what is off limits for carrying and is very vague. Can I carry an AK 47 pistol? They are considered a pistol and not a rifle. I am also looking at ar15 pistols. It defines Philly as a city of first class but does that mean I cant have it locked in my trunk? Also vague as to school property like colleges or if you can keep ammo in your vehicle when in either of the above. Where can I get info to clear this up? Im also considering a Florida non residential license which is valid in a bunch of places. Anyone go through that course?

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: AR and AK pistols and PA carry law. Please help

I don't mean to be disrespectful, but I question the sanity behind your inquiry.

LOL K THX BYE.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Jefferson County)

Did you even read any of the stickies? Just about ever possible question is pre-answered in the stickies at this site.

If fits the legal dimensions of a "firearm" under PA law, IE: a handgun with barrel less than 15", a rifle with a barrel less than 16", a shotgun with a barrel less than 18", or a rifle or shotgun that has an overall length less than 26" is a "firearm" - which you would need a license to carry concealed or in a vehicle, or in a City of the First Class.

Oh, BTW. While outside of a vehicle. You can carry openly or concealed a loaded long gun(if your garments can conceal it lol) WITHOUT a license.

Ignore mystical rules about Philly, except for the one about needing a license to carry, because its true(need a license to open or concealed carry in Philly). It dont have to be in the trunk.

(Northampton County)

Lordiego- Whats with questioning my sanity? I am like to be prepared for anything. Some people think a shotgun is over kill for home defense. Where can I get these rules set in stone in case I get pulled over? Its kind of sad that the law is not clear on limits. I think this mini ar is better than a hand gun for a car weapon since body armor is so easy to get.

(Philadelphia County)

Again, not to disrespect, but coming into a gun forum and your first post being..

"hi, I want to carry an AR or AK rifle/pistol... something or other about college campuses and ammo for either one..."

sounds shady to the extreme, and is behavior generally reserved for noobs, trolls, people trying to prove an anti-talking point; or worse, psychotic maniacs of ill intent.

sorry I couldn't be of actual help and best of luck in your endeavors (so long as they be legit)
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Northampton County)

I wanted to do it legally thats why I posted. I dont want to come off wrong and didnt have the time to look throught the forum and was affraid I would encounter alot of opinions like the philly rumors. I dont think a man carrying a desert eagle is over gunned or one carrying a single shot 22 is under gunned. I think there are different guns for different people and I wanted to see what the fine print will allow. The last thing I want is to be doing it wrong and get charged with something that I could have avoided. I just think for my car gun I would love the extra fire power for how things are these days and how anyone can buy body armor on ebay for 50.00. Sorry to come off in the wrong way.

(York County)

Can you? Yes
    Should you? Not in my opinion.
    Although they're both cool firearms, they're too big and bulky for concealed carry. Also, if you did have to use a firearm in self defense, carrying an AR or AK pistol would probably hurt you in a criminal or civil case.
    In any case, you'd probably lose the firearm.

It would probably not help the RKBA and civil rights movements as well.

Carrying a firearm is a right. With rights comes responsibilities..think of those responsibilities when making your handgun selection.

(Butler County)

Yea id say carrying an ak/ar style pistol, though may be legal, will most definitely eventually, land you in jail, even if on bogus charges ESPECIALLY IN PHILLY. I know of them being carried in special security situations, but as a daily carry? Just asking for trouble.

I think you'll find few here will willingly hand out answers on this one. If you want to know how to do it legally than you need to take the time to learn the laws for yourself, all of them, not just the ones you think apply to you.

All the information you need is here on this site.

If you plan to keep this in your vehicle, than you need a better plan than securing it in your trunk for when your away from your vehicle. And in philly.. its a major bad idea to leave any firearm in a vehicle period.

The fact that you asked the questions you did, makes me think you put no research into this yourself. If you want to do this, you need to know the law better than anyone. Handing you the answers arent going to cut it on this one. Sorry

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaState View Post
    Lordiego- Whats with questioning my sanity? I am like to be prepared for anything. Some people think a shotgun is over kill for home defense. Where can I get these rules set in stone in case I get pulled over? Its kind of sad that the law is not clear on limits. I think this mini ar is better than a hand gun for a car weapon since body armor is so easy to get.
    You should explore the the entire forum. There are sections and resources in the stickered area as well as the home page.

(Jefferson County)

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast