Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default FB Post that offers a free range trip to Public School Teachers?

What would you think of a Facebook post that offered a range trip to any public school teachers, as a guest - to learn gun safety, get familiar with, and try your guns out? What you'd do with any first-timer.

How do you think that would be received?

EDIT: This would be for gun noobies. Also, this is presumed to be a FB post visible to your FB friends only.
    Last edited by tommy610; January 3rd, 2013 at 05:59 PM.
    Tommy610, NRA Member, Romans 12:18

(Adams County)

Default Re: FB Post that offers a free range trip to Public School Teachers?

I think its a great idea, but don't limit it to teachers, invite all first-time or "new" gun people to come. The more we show and teach the non-gun crowd the better off we are.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by tommy610 View Post
    What would you think of a Facebook post that offered a range trip to any public school teachers, as a guest - to learn gun safety, get familiar with, and try your guns out? What you'd do with any first-timer.

How do you think that would be received?

EDIT: This would be for gun noobies. Also, this is presumed to be a FB post visible to your FB friends only.
    Well it's not like we'll ever get to the point of allowing willing teachers to carry to school anyway. I say do it but be ready to defriend your liberal friends who will show their ugly colors when you mention teachers and guns in the same post.

I have had a few teachers (friends, parents of friends, etc) agree that giving the teachers the right to carry wouldn't be a bad idea. After all, we already must trust these people to the fullest. My personal opinion is any teacher that is willing should be allowed to have a gun around granted there are established parameters for training and safe storage of the firearm stricter than those of the state or locality. Like a set of rules and regulations specific to teachers' guns in the schools.

Good luck with your FB post.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by jpkotor View Post
    Well it's not like we'll ever get to the point of allowing willing teachers to carry to school anyway. I say do it but be ready to defriend your liberal friends who will show their ugly colors when you mention teachers and guns in the same post.

I have had a few teachers (friends, parents of friends, etc) agree that giving the teachers the right to carry wouldn't be a bad idea. After all, we already must trust these people to the fullest. My personal opinion is any teacher that is willing should be allowed to have a gun around granted there are established parameters for training and safe storage of the firearm stricter than those of the state or locality. Like a set of rules and regulations specific to teachers' guns in the schools.

Good luck with your FB post.
    Why not?

In Utah teachers with a permit have been able to carry at school for a long time. At least one school district in Texas also allows teachers with a permit to carry.
    If you don't know who your state legislators are go here:
    http://www.legis.state.pa.us/index.cfm
    put your zip plus 4 in the box in the upper right hand corner.

(Bucks County)

Great idea....every Noob I ever took.....LOVED it and bought their own. Including previous "antis".
    Maybe "free" range trips ONLY to certified antis.
    Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

Hokkmike Guest

Let me qualify my answer first. I taught in a HS where many of the teachers have a LTCF (of course we didn't in school after the 70's) and the kids talk and own guns. In fact, we have SHOOTING team!! Rifles and shotguns.

So now, I will agree that we ought to offer free range time to a first timer of any persuasion. The difference between enjoying guns and being unduly afraid of them is using them.

(Philadelphia County)

Cool Re: FB Post that offers a free range trip to Public School Teachers?

Quote Originally Posted by truecrimson View Post
    Why not?

In Utah teachers with a permit have been able to carry at school for a long time. At least one school district in Texas also allows teachers with a permit to carry.
    I don't want to make any assumptions as to where you're from or where you've grown up but just from my own experience..

I've met people willing to go the teachers-with-guns route. Mostly in PA. PA is gun friendly. TX is very gun friendly. I guess if we limit this discussion to "can we make this happen in PA" then maybe, I was kind of answering on a federal level since the gun debate is currently being waged on the federal level.

I grew up in California. And the overwhelming majority of liberal mouth-breathers (as my friend has called them) would prefer complete disarmament. They live in a different world, not recognizing any of the sources of the problem and blame guns entirely. They think the CA AWB and the lack of CCW ("may" issue) is keeping them safe, even though crime in CA is higher than PA and TX. You can't be be pro-gun without coming across the "not even police should have guns"-type anti-gun idiot. People will argue to their last breath that if you "make everyone turn in their guns" and "the police didn't carry guns" all the sudden gun violence would come to an end.

CA alone is a huge portion of representatives, and there's enough other idiots like them. We're fighting an uphill battle now. I don't meant to be pessimistic but this can't go well for us in the next couple decades. I'm banking on a secession... :P

(York County)

I'm a teacher, can I still shoot for free?

(Beaver County)

I think more ranges and clubs should have more Open Public shoots to allow a tour of the club/range and to give a quick familiarization with firearms and safety in general. The more the public is exposed, the better off we are.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by jpkotor View Post
    I don't want to make any assumptions as to where you're from or where you've grown up but just from my own experience..

I've met people willing to go the teachers-with-guns route. Mostly in PA. PA is gun friendly. TX is very gun friendly. I guess if we limit this discussion to "can we make this happen in PA" then maybe, I was kind of answering on a federal level since the gun debate is currently being waged on the federal level.

I grew up in California. And the overwhelming majority of liberal mouth-breathers (as my friend has called them) would prefer complete disarmament. They live in a different world, not recognizing any of the sources of the problem and blame guns entirely. They think the CA AWB and the lack of CCW ("may" issue) is keeping them safe, even though crime in CA is higher than PA and TX. You can't be be pro-gun without coming across the "not even police should have guns"-type anti-gun idiot. People will argue to their last breath that if you "make everyone turn in their guns" and "the police didn't carry guns" all the sudden gun violence would come to an end.

CA alone is a huge portion of representatives, and there's enough other idiots like them. We're fighting an uphill battle now. I don't meant to be pessimistic but this can't go well for us in the next couple decades. I'm banking on a secession... :P
    The important thing to keep in mind, though, is that gun laws are much easier to pass on a state level, whether pro-gun or anti-gun. So if we want to cause a change, we'd be better off attacking it on the state level.
    Safety is a good tool for tyrants; no one can be against safety.

Μολὼν λαβέ