Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Firearm Appraisal

A friend asked me this question yesterday. He is interested in understanding the value of some older firearms and asked if I know any appraisers. The firearms were passed down from his father and another family member has asked about buying them. The questioner would like to set a fair price. So my question: Does anyone know of a reputable firearm appraisal service, preferably in Western PA?

(Berks County)

Default Re: Firearm Appraisal

I believe the NRA has this service. You could ask a dealer for what they would pay and then double the offer to figure their selling price.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    You could ask a dealer for what they would pay and then double the offer to figure their selling price.
    Wow, really? That doesnt float at the store I work. We'd be too embarrassed to lowball someone then rape people on resale, especially since we know most everyone in the area by first name.

Some stores will offer what they can based on the expected resale of the firearm. If that doesnt work, some also offer consignment services.

Also, just because a gun is old, doesnt mean its value rises. Some brands like Iver Johnson dont bring much if any value other than sentimental/family heirloom. If anyone offers you a quote on the phone, dont go to them. These things have to be seen first hand. Also most places will charge you for an outright appraisal. Some wont if you are looking to sell the gun to the store or use it as trade-in. If the collection is extensive, some will offer to drive up for the appraisal. A fee would be charged for travel.
    Hold the Line...

(Chester County)

Tell your friend to post them here on the forum. With the huge number of members we have, you can crowd source the appraisal.
    I'm only here for the wood c-rings.

(Elk County)

PM sent.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Centre County)

Pick up a copy of the Blue Book of Gun Values, that's a good starting place. (Or be cheap and go to a book store that sells it with the make and model of the gun(s) and use it in the store to jot down notes.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Bucks County)

Register on Gunbroker and you can search for COMPLETED auctions (the ones that actually sold with a bid) . I only search firearms without a reserve and ignore the thousands of pipe dream prices.

You will likely get less if sold locally but if there is more than one sold you will get an idea. It only takes two people with more money than they know what to do with (or shit) to overestimate a price.

(Indiana County)

The problem with Gunbroker completed auctions and the Blue Book is that the current owner needs to know exactly what they have for these to work as pricing guides if the firearm is not a typical hunting rifle or shotgun.

I recently heard of another Remington Model 12 for sale by a friend of a friend and he incorrectly identified the model as I discovered when I went to look at it.
    It ended up he had a more costly Model 12E and not just a plain old 12A that he had it priced as.