Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default .22 rf prices here to stay ?

I've already got a boatload of 22 of various flavors here at my house, but I am always looking to add another brick or two when I can since I tend to shoot a lot of it, and lately I've been trying to stick to CCI std velocity. Works well in my suppressed firearms, is accurate, and is relatively clean burning compared to some of the bulk packed stuff.

Problem is whenever I see it available it's always at least $40-$50 a brick and it's been that way for a long time now and they show no sign of getting to something more reasonable/affordable. Even Wolf match extra is going for 75 bucks/500 over on SG Ammo, and thats rimfire ammunition I always associated as being budget ammo.

The prices are what I consider steep, but at the moment are affordable to me given the choice of not having anything to shoot, but are they here to stay ? The past couple of years 22 rf of any type was hard to find and prices were high, now it's more prevalent and prices are still high and show no signs of getting better. Is this the new normal for 22?

(Chester County)

Default Re: .22 rf prices here to stay ?

Quote Originally Posted by glocke12 View Post
    I've already got a boatload of 22 of various flavors here at my house, but I am always looking to add another brick or two when I can

The prices are what I consider steep, but at the moment are affordable to me given the choice of not having anything to shoot, but are they here to stay ? The past couple of years 22 rf of any type was hard to find and prices were high, now it's more prevalent and prices are still high and show no signs of getting better. Is this the new normal for 22?
    Yes, if people continue to hoard like you and pay these exorbitant prices, why should they charge less? The market charges what the market will bare.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot321 View Post
    Yes, if people continue to hoard like you and pay these exorbitant prices, why should they charge less? The market charges what the market will bare.
    Precisely!

And since it was announced many ammo makers are adding production capacity , they are hoping high prices pay for this expansion.

Now if people stopped buying , and demand drops , the makers will likely drop prices to keep production going.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

FFS, who said anything about hoarding? I've maintained an inventory of roughly 6k to 7k rounds since well before the shortage occurred (thinking back it's been since the early 2000's that I've maintained that level. Thats when I started shooting a lot more 22 rf since it was convenient for me to do so. Whenever I stopped at a was-mart or gun store I'd just throw a brick into my cart) , and when I am able to I top it off to maintain that level since I shoot roughly 500-1000 rounds a month. If I didn't top it off and maintained that level of shooting I'd be out of ammo in six months or less.

Hoarding implies continually buying and sitting on it, which is something I am certainly not doing.
    Last edited by glocke12; June 12th, 2016 at 07:20 AM.

(Chester County)

FFS, who said anything about hoarding?
    Your quote

I've already got a boatload of 22 of various flavors here at my house, but I am always looking to add another brick or two when I can
    I've maintained an inventory of roughly 6k to 7k rounds since well before the shortage occurred (thinking back it's been since the early 2000's that I've maintained that level. Thats when I started shooting a lot more 22 rf since it was convenient for me to do so. Whenever I stopped at a was-mart or gun store I'd just throw a brick into my cart) , and when I am able to I top it off to maintain that level since I shoot roughly 500-1000 rounds a month. If I didn't top it off and maintained that level of shooting I'd be out of ammo in six months or less.
    Hey, buy all you want, but if you pay current prices, don't complain about why people charge what they can.

(Chester County)

Hoarding implies continually buying and sitting on it, which is something I am certainly not doing.
    As was mentioned, the panic buying and limited supply drove prices up. Although, much of the buying WAS from individuals stockpiling... doesn't sound like that was you. Production has long caught up with demand though and supplies are plentiful, which would normally translate into reduced prices (puzzling, but perhaps the current prices are the new normal).

I expect the madness to start all over again if Clinton is elected... and my AR will be worth more.

Quote Originally Posted by JAKIII View Post
    As was mentioned, the panic buying and limited supply drove prices up. Although, much of the buying WAS from individuals stockpiling... doesn't sound like that was you. Production has long caught up with demand though and supplies are plentiful, which would normally translate into reduced prices (puzzling, but perhaps the current prices are the new normal).

I expect the madness to start all over again if Clinton is elected... and my AR will be worth more.
    Bolded...as do I. I've got plans to spend another 1k on ammo of various calibers before the summer is out precisely for that reason. Hopefully it won't be too late at that point. I was hoping to see 22 rf come down a bit in price, but I suspect these prices are here to stay.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    Precisely!
    Hey guys, exactly how many rounds should we be able to have on hand? We can't live by your rules if we don't know what they are.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by stainless View Post
    Hey guys, exactly how many rounds should we be able to have on hand? We can't live by your rules if we don't know what they are.
    As I said in my next post, BUY ALL YOU WANT, but don't complain about high prices if you are paying them.

(Mifflin County)

If someone is shooting on a regular basis and replenishing their stockpile , I don't call it hoarding ! Just being smart with our current anti-gun crowd .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast