Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Soldier stationed in PRNJ denied CCW permit; Can't "prove" serious threat against him

Nothing new here, just another exposition of the un-Constitutional idiocy of New Jersey gun laws...

From nj1015.com:

When it comes to firearms, Lt. Col. Terry S. Russell has more knowledge and training than most people in New Jersey. The 27-year U.S. Army soldier holds a senior position at the Picatinny Arsenal in Wharton.

But neither his expertise — nor the fact that he works at a military site that has been under threat of terrorist attacks — were enough for the state to grant him a concealed-carry permit.
    In denying his application for a concealed-carry permit, Oceanport Police Chief Daniel W. Barcus said Russell was unable to demonstrate “justifiable need” because there had been no specific attacks or threats made directly on him.

To legally carry concealed firearms in New Jersey, residents have to apply to their local police for a permit demonstrating such a need. But critics of the state’s strict gun laws say this results in very few people other than acting and retired law enforcement officials getting approval for such permits.

Last month, state acting Attorney General Robert Lougy loosened the restrictions in order to allow permits for residents who can prove “serious threats” against them. This and other changes came after a 39-year-old Camden County woman was gunned down in her driveway by her ex-boyfriend. Carol Bowne had been awaiting on approval for a gun permit.
    After police Russell’s application, he appealed to Superior Court. Monmouth County Prosecutor Christopher J. Gramiccioni stood by the denial, saying in a Jan. 29, 2015, letter to Judge Joseph Oxley that the soldier had failed to demonstrate “justifiable need” to have a carry permit.
    Full story here...
    "Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Gman106
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face." - Mike Tyson
    "Get the hell out of my way." - John Galt

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Soldier stationed in PRNJ denied CCW permit; Can't "prove" serious threat against

Why should he be treated differently than any other resident of NJ?

Default Re: Soldier stationed in PRNJ denied CCW permit; Can't "prove" serious threat against

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    Why should he be treated differently than any other resident of NJ?
    Maybe because Inspire Magazine (ISIS publication) and ISIS leadership have repeatedly directed followers in the US to seek out and kill US service members in their homes, while traveling, and at work. United Cyber Caliphate (a very effective ISIS hacker group) has been posting photos, home addresses, and personal information such as phone numbers and family details of our service members to extremist linked social media for over a year.

Until ISIS treats all American citizens to this same level of attention, yes the gentleman in the article should be given some special treatment. He should get the same special treatment of anyone that can demonstrate a similar threat.

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post
    Maybe because Inspire Magazine (ISIS publication) and ISIS leadership have repeatedly directed followers in the US to seek out and kill US service members in their homes, while traveling, and at work. United Cyber Caliphate (a very effective ISIS hacker group) has been posting photos, home addresses, and personal information such as phone numbers and family details of our service members to extremist linked social media for over a year.

Until ISIS treats all American citizens to this same level of attention, yes the gentleman in the article should be given some special treatment. He should get the same special treatment of anyone that can demonstrate a similar threat.
    I know right, because ISIS as no history whatsoever of targeting civilians.

(Delaware County)

The point is not that the soldier is special—although the argument can me made that military are special and should not be subject to state carry laws, the point is exposing the draconian, illegal gun laws in New Jersey.
    "Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Gman106
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face." - Mike Tyson
    "Get the hell out of my way." - John Galt

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gman106 View Post
    The point is not that the soldier is special—although the argument can me made that military are special and should not be subject to state carry laws, the point is exposing the draconian, illegal gun laws in New Jersey.
    Exactly, the laws of NJ suck for everyone that lives or visits, not just soldiers stationed there.

(Chester County)

Didn't a DC court just strike down the "good cause" requirement for a ltcf in DC? Someone in NJ should challenge it on those grounds too.
    "The Constitution is the guide which I will not abandon.” - George Washington

WHERE ARE THE LAWYERS FLOODING THE PRNJ WITH LAWSUITS?????

If he would have said he was GAY,TRANS or MUSLIM there would a line of attorneys from here to the tip of FL with 8 semi's of blank paper ready to go.
    People always ask me why i never smile.
    I TELL THEM IT'S BECAUSE MY CORPSE IS STILL BREATHING AND THEY DON'T FUCKING GET IT!

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by philadelphia patriot View Post
    Didn't a DC court just strike down the "good cause" requirement for a ltcf in DC? Someone in NJ should challenge it on those grounds too.
    That was an existing case with an existing judge. It just got revisited after DC screwed up.

We will get no relief from the courts. Obama put hundreds of federal judges in that are anti-gun, using Harry Reid's tactic of changing Senate rules to confirm nominations. We've already had several 2A cases lost to Obama appointees. With Scalia gone and Hillary coming, there will be no final redress, either. Just revocation of the 2nd Amendment.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5230&dateline=1441069  448

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    I know right, because ISIS as no history whatsoever of targeting civilians.
    Actually that statement makes you wrong also. Yes, I know you were being sarcastic and yes they have targeted civilians. In the case of the following link several thousand New Yorkers had their personal information exposed and the group urged they be targeted. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0b49df6ab6c1b

However, we are talking about NJ, not NY. With the exception of NJ Transit Authority and Asbury Park cops, I can find no announcements that NJ citizens have been targeted in the same manner (online lists). Remington788 asked what made the military different and I am offering an answer. The fact is there are military personnel in NJ that have been listed in these social media target lists. Just because they are military isn't the issue, it is the steps ISIS has taken.

http://www.fios1news.com/newjersey/t...6#.V0OtbOjmqM8

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast