Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default My Sigma after a S&W tune-up...

In the first 425 rounds, 7 light primer strikes, 2 stovepipes and a trigger that felt mushy. I sent it back to S&W. They returned it with a new recoil rod and spring, said they modified the barrel and trigger. The feed ramp was polished and the throat opened up, not sure what they did with the trigger. Yesterday I put 273 mixed JHP and FMJ down the pipe with no malfs. The trigger is still long and hard (that's a good thing, right?) but the mushy feel is gone and you know when it is about to break. My neighbor is retired NYPD and he said it was the best DAO he has ever fired. It has an all together differant feel to it now. Before you sell, modify or change springs I would let S&W do the voodoo they do so well. Ten days turn around and they pay shipping!

(Blair County)

Default Re: My Sigma after a S&W tune-up...

S&W has amazing customer service. I was never really a fan of there guns until I dealt with their customer service. I would never hesitate to buy a gun labeled either S&W or walther. They have fixed stuff that was well out of warranty for me.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by ZO6Vettever View Post
    The trigger is still long and hard (that's a good thing, right?)
    I think their trigger is good thing for gun that meant for carrying.
    I've always believed super short/light trigger, like that of tuned 1911 aren't the best for CCW.

I know many people dogs on Sigma's, but every sigma I've shot were more then a great shooters. Its no bullseye gun, but it worked, and it worked well.

They are very affordable too.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Lackawanna County)

S&W is great. i sent my Sigma in not too long ago, and had a similar experience: http://forum.pafoa.org/pistols-41/32...tml#post424209

(Lehigh County)

I've heard that the Sigma is the most under rated modern automatic pistol. IIRC, it's a Glock clone. ??
    Veritas Vos Liberat

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by LastManOut View Post
    I've heard that the Sigma is the most under rated modern automatic pistol. IIRC, it's a Glock clone. ??
    It was so much of a "glock clone" infact that Glock brought a lawsuit against S&W because the glock and sigma were nearly 100% identical. S&W literally copied the entire design with virtually no differences, except S&W used cheap parts that broke often. After an injunction was approved and S&W suffering the bad end of the lawsuit they were forced to redesign their S&W Sigma and the product became even worse than before.

In my experience, everyone I know with a Sigma sold theirs fast or traded it in. It's generally a crap weapon in overall feel and performance. Don't feel offended but when it comes to weapons that cant even obtain standard quality and performance I'm adamant in letting people know. It's your life on the line. You must have gotten lucky on this one. If it works for you and you feel confident then stick with it.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post
    In my experience, everyone I know with a Sigma sold theirs fast or traded it in. It's generally a crap weapon in overall feel and performance. Don't feel offended but when it comes to weapons that cant even obtain standard quality and performance I'm adamant in letting people know. It's your life on the line. You must have gotten lucky on this one. If it works for you and you feel confident then stick with it.
    Well, quick search online shows that there are enough PDs in this nation that are issued with them. they must be somewhat reliable to pass test to become issued weapon, don't you think?

Monrovia Police Department, California (SW40)
    Kansas City Police Department, Missouri (SW40F or S&W Model 4026 - officer's choice )
    Cumberland County Police Department, New Jersey (SW40)
    Tennessee Highway Patrol (SW40 or S&W Model 4026 - Officer's choice)
    Decatur Police Department Tennessee (SW40)
    Agusta County Sheriff Office, Virginia (SW40)
    Staunton Police Department, Virginia (SW40)

Just to name a several that I can find..

If its good enough for these officer's, I think its good enough IMO.

But vast majority of PD in US are issued with G-22, G-17, some sigs
    Last edited by Mity2; December 22nd, 2008 at 03:57 PM.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mity2 View Post
    Well, quick search online shows that there are enough PDs in this nation that are issued with them. they must be somewhat reliable to pass test to become issued weapon, don't you think?
    Are these police departments using SW Sigmas? it just says SW40.

It was probably a biased selection from those who are in charge of making these decisions. Gun shops around here dont even have them in stock, one owner told me outright he's will never stock them in his shop. That SW Sigma has been out for around 10+ years I believe and it's a pretty good indicator of their quality/demand by how many you see in stock, which in this case is none.

(Monroe County)

I know i have said my fair share of poor things about my sigma. It was my first gun and i purchased it used. It is a good entry level gun as far as price point and accuracy. I had problems with feeding and mag drops. In the last year i got into IDPA and need to replace it as it was inadequite. I sold it as i did not see a use for it because i did not trust it as a carry gun. I bought it for $250 about 4 years ago and put about 2K through and got 4200 cash for it from a store. I was happy and I do regret selling for some silly reason. Over rating: OK gun but nowhere near my M&P pro.