Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Savage 170

(York County)

Default Savage 170

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Savage 170? I always wanted one when I was a kid. I may have a chance to get one, in the more rare .35 Remington, tomorrow. I am also going to look at a Savage 24 in .22 Mag/.410. There are about 70 or so firearms a guy is getting rid of, these two interest me the most.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Archie Gates: No unnecessary shots, Conrad, 'cause we know what they do.
    Conrad Vig: Make infected pockets full of bile, sir.
    Archie Gates: That's right, Conrad, that's what they do.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Savage 170

I don't know much about them but I do love Savages, esspecially the older models. That .22mag/.410 is something that I have been looking for also. If it happens to hang around and you do not purchase it let me know how I could get a hold of it if you don't mind.

Mark

(York County)

Hi Mark...I most likley would have grabbed the .22 mag/.410.....would have. I just found out the guy doesn't want to sell now. I understand that, still disappointing. Oh well.

(Delaware County)

I was looking at a Baikal made Remington Spartan SPR94 that is .22LR/.410 and it looked pretty nice. The iron sights were a bit different but overall it was a nice gun. Brand new too. I have seen them across the net and they are selling for over $300+shipping+transfer which is a pain but the one i saw in person last night was $299. Not a bad price but it would more than mose likely just end up as a novelty item and not get much time in the woods. Unless I fell in love with it that is.

I have also read in reviews that they shoot a lot nicer than the old savages which are known to shoot low with the scattergun but spot on with the single projectile. Who knows, maybe I'll pick it up when I get some spare change.

(York County)

Hi Feddog... I am partial to the Savage 24's because I when I was a kid I hunted with my Dad and an "Uncle". We hunted squirrels with a dog. Uncle Snap always carried a Savage 24 .22 Mag/.20 Ga. My Dad always had his Ithica Model 37 with a left hand safety. I had a crappy 16 gauge Model 12 Winchester with a poly choke that I couldn't hit anything with.

My Mom and I went went halfs one Xmas on a 24 for my Dad. He hunted with that from then on. Dad is in a home now, he is bad enough that we can't take care of him at home. Today, with a heavy heart I put his 24 in my safe. My Mom had given me the 24 about a month ago. I brought it home and cleaned the bores, wiped it down and sat it in the corner. I don't think I will ever hunt with it. It just doesn't seem right.

I really don't hunt squirrels anymore. About the only small game I hunt now are pheasants with my Benielli....I can even hit them. Anyway, I like the idea of a .22 Mag/.410 for just woods loafing. I was hoping to get a Savage, but I will keep an eye out for a Spartan...it might be cool. I was even looking on Remington's web site a few days ago, I couldn't find the Spartans. I wonder if they stopped carrying them?

(Delaware County)

Here's a link to a page of the remington spartan gunworks catalog, page for the spr94.

http://www.remington-spartan.com/cat...partan_94.aspx

You can also search for Baikal b/c that is who makes the spartan line for remington.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by padowser View Post
    Uncle Snap always carried a Savage 24 .22 Mag/.20 Ga.
    I was gonna start a thread, but searched and found this, so I'll bump it.

I was at Cabela's last Saturday and was poking through their used firearms. I didn't really like the prices, but for some reason the Savage 24 caught my eye. It had the straight stalk, so I wasn't perfectly mated with an "impulse buy", but I now want one.

Funny this is, I have all of the best hunting gear/firearms one could hope for. Yet, I go back to old school favorites like my Rem 760c and firearms like the Savage 24. I guess they just feel like "hunting" in a Norm Rockwellian sort of way. Like snow on Xmas... ya know?

The one they had was stamped for .22lr/20ga. I think this would be great for squirrels and a lot of fun. I wish it was .22mag/12ga. though... I bet the thing would kick like a mule though. It was so, so short and light. I really liked it though.

I searched here and saw that one was sold in the classified section. I wonder how the new owner uses it and what they think. I'd be willing to trade some pesos for one if another is for sale out there... btw.

Anyone have anything to offer about the Savage 24 that wasn't covered above? The insights would be much appreciates... Thanks!
    F*S=k