Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default HB 608 - Child Safety Locks

If I'm not mistaken, doesn't PA already have a requirement for this? Or is it Federal mandated?

I bought a revolver at a local auction house, and was charged a very nominal fee for a cruddy gun lock. I told the gent I have plenty at the house; he said it was a requirement.

HB 608 - Childproof Locks was introduced today in the State House.

???? Huh????

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: HB 608 - Child Safety Locks

It seems everytime you do a firearm transfer, you get one of those child locks.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Erie County)

Maybe I'm having Deja vu but I remember seeing this before, but besides the lock it was also had a "safe gun" part to it. Stating that any pistol sold in the state had to be approved by the PSP and would have to be engraved with something like "safe for personal use" or some shit like that.

I think I remember reading it in the thread where all the bills were junked together. I know it was 608 though, it was something in the early 100s if that. But it did have the gun locks part too in it. strange....

(Delaware County)

I beleive if the firearm is new the manufactor puts a lock in with the case.
    But I don't know if you buy a used gun if you need to buy a lock to complete the purchase or the dealer is to give you one.

(Perry County)

My new FNP-9M came with a lock, which I will keep in the event that I ever (which I don't think will happen) sell it. I have another one I got at the Sheriff's office. I'll use that if I ever buy a used gun and they want to charge me for one.

Dave G.
    Dave G.

"Gun control has not worked in D.C. The only people who have guns are criminals. We have the strictest gun laws in the nation and one of the highest murder rates. It's quicker to pull your Smith & Wesson than to dial 911 if you're being robbed."

-Lieutenant Lowell Duckett, Special Assistant to DC Police Chief; President, Black Police Caucus, The Washington Post, March 22, 1996

FN Herstal FNP-9M 9mm compact
    Taurus model 85 .38 special

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by dmg1969 View Post
    I have another one I got at the Sheriff's office. I'll use that if I ever buy a used gun and they want to charge me for one.

Dave G.
    I was going to ask that question:
    Is it legal and/or allowable to provide your own lock when making a purchase?
    The reason I ask is because I already have more locks than I think I need.
    If you lock your new gun in your safe, you don't really need to keep the cheap lock on the trigger. (Do you?)
    What are the chances of taking all of your guns out at the same time and needing an individual lock for each one?

(Perry County)

Oh, believe me...I don't use the locks on my guns! I have no kids...it's just me and my wife in the home. I would never put a lock on one of my guns. What good is a locked gun if you need it to protect yourself?

And I would not see how someone could force you to BUY a gun lock from them if YOU provide your own.

Dave G.
    Dave G.

"Gun control has not worked in D.C. The only people who have guns are criminals. We have the strictest gun laws in the nation and one of the highest murder rates. It's quicker to pull your Smith & Wesson than to dial 911 if you're being robbed."

-Lieutenant Lowell Duckett, Special Assistant to DC Police Chief; President, Black Police Caucus, The Washington Post, March 22, 1996

FN Herstal FNP-9M 9mm compact
    Taurus model 85 .38 special

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by dmg1969 View Post
    What good is a locked gun if you need it to protect yourself?
    Dave G.
    I agree wholeheartedly. I do have young'ns in the house, so the guns I don't have "at the ready" are under lock and key. Those that are "at the ready" are easily accessible by someone who knows where to look, and no, they are not and never will be locked. This is why I have more locks than I think I know what to do with. I grew up with loaded guns in the house, and my children are too. I got my first .22 rifle for Christmas when I was 6 years old. Fear of guns was never an issue. Safety, respect and discipline are the key issues. What I do fear is other people and their kids.

(York County)

Maybe I'm having Deja vu but I remember seeing this before, but besides the lock it was also had a "safe gun" part to it. Stating that any pistol sold in the state had to be approved by the PSP and would have to be engraved with something like "safe for personal use" or some ***t like that.
    No, that would be in House Bill 291 - and everyone NEEDS to keep a very close eye on that particular bill!!!

And I mean every gun owner in the state...

(Carbon County)

Uniform Firearm Act of 1995
    §6142. Locking Device for Firearms.

(a) Offense defined.-It shall be unlawful for any licensee to sell, deliver or transfer any firearm as defined in section 6102 (relating to definitions), other than an antique firearm as de*fined in section 6118 (relating to antique firearms), to any other person, other than another li*censee, unless the transferee is provided with or purchases a locking device for that firearm or the design of the firearm incorporates a locking device.
    (b) Exceptions.-Firearms for transfer to or possession by any law enforcement officer employed by any Federal, State or local government entity or rail police employed and certi*fied by a rail carrier as a police officer are not subject to the provisions of this section.

(c) Penalties.-A violation of the provisions of this section shall be a summary offense.

(d) Good faith compliance.-A licensee who in good faith complies with this section shall not be civilly liable as a result of such compliance with this section, except for any acts or omissions intentionally designed to harm or for grossly negligent acts or omissions which result in harm.

(e) A transferee's purchase or receipt of a locking device in conjunction with the purchase of a firearm pursuant to this section shall not be admissible as evidence in any civil action brought against the transferee.

(f) Definitions.-As used in this section, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings given to them in this subsection:

"Licensee." Any licensed manufacturer, importer or dealer of firearms. "Locking device." Either of the following:

(1) a device that, when installed on a firearm, is designed to prevent the firearm from being operated without first deactivating the device; or

(2) a device that is incorporated into the design of a firearm and that is designed to pre*vent the operation of the firearm by anyone not having access to the device.

(Added by L 1999, Act 59(8), eff. 2/13/2000.)
    http://www.acslpa.org/pa_uniform_firearms_act.htm
    if you ever see my post edited...its most likely for speling :D
    "Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges"-In Time of War the Law Falls Silent-Cicero
    "Si vis pacem, para bellum"-If you want peace, prepare for war-Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"America Starts Here!"-former PA state Slogan...until NJ complained and our wussy GovRendell changed it!