Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Perry County)

Default Jobs dealing with guns?

I've been thinking about going back to school for something because I don't enjoy my current field any more and I'm tired of my job.

I'd love to get a job that allows me to work with guns in some way. Police officer and miltary careers are out of the question. I don't actually need to fire the guns or handle them (would be a nice bonus though).

I've looked into gunsmithing before but it appears to mainly something people do as part time jobs as it does not make them enough to pay the bills. Working in a gun shop or something like Cabela's doesn't seem to pay all that much either.

I'm really stuck as to what I want to do. Nothing I look at interests me. I can't find a job description that makes me go "hey, I'd like to do that."

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Jobs dealing with guns?

I did not listen to an old gun dealer I knew as a kid but he said "John do not mix your vocation with your avocation you will end up hating both of them" He was right even though I did not see that when I was a kid. Guns were WAY more fun before I got in the gun biz, and although I have had a good career these last 16 years, I would not do it over again. Turning the passion of your hobby into work does kinda ruin it on both ends. I made a promise to myself that if this business ever starts taking my love of firearms and shooting away then it is time to quite. I have been real close a few times. I value my love of this stuff too much to let work ruin it.

(Chester County)

Need a new employee? I'm tired of driving a school bus part time.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by Seneca Arms Co. Inc. View Post
    I did not listen to an old gun dealer I knew as a kid but he said "John do not mix your vocation with your avocation you will end up hating both of them" He was right even though I did not see that when I was a kid. Guns were WAY more fun before I got in the gun biz, and although I have had a good career these last 16 years, I would not do it over again. Turning the passion of your hobby into work does kinda ruin it on both ends. I made a promise to myself that if this business ever starts taking my love of firearms and shooting away then it is time to quite. I have been real close a few times. I value my love of this stuff too much to let work ruin it.
    yeah, thats true i guess. i loved messing around with computers and thats what I do for work now and I hate it.

i really have no clue what to do. like i said, nothing i see in the college catalogs or even in job searches interests me at all.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by WWGunslinger View Post
    i really have no clue what to do. like i said, nothing i see in the college catalogs or even in job searches interests me at all.
    I hear ya man. I hear ya. Right there with ya.
    "Ya only need legs to kick ass baby boy" - Bartender in Feast III

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by WWGunslinger View Post
    I can't find a job description that makes me go "hey, I'd like to do that."
    I was being interviewed for job one time by a pretty attractive woman. One of the questions she asked me was "If every job in the world paid the same.....what job would you want?" I still think about that quetion to this day. But at that time all I was thinking of was her long legs and answered "Pool boy at the Playboy mansion"
    "Ya only need legs to kick ass baby boy" - Bartender in Feast III

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by GUNRUNNERS OF PA View Post
    I was being interviewed for job one time by a pretty attractive woman. One of the questions she asked me was "If every job in the world paid the same.....what job would you want?" I still think about that quetion to this day. But at that time all I was thinking of was her long legs and answered "Pool boy at the Playboy mansion"
    LOL.

The thing is, I pretty much HAVE to go back to school to get a new job. I've completely stagnated in my current job. I'm the kind of person where if I don't use the info I learned, I lose it. I also have no motivation to do anything in this field any more either.

I didn't go to college so I don't have a degree either. I'd like to go for something and get a degree.

(Allegheny County)

Good questions. Do what you like.

I hadn't a clue as to what would keep me content in my work. I did ChemE at CMU, but I'd always loved aircraft. I found a decent job in the aerospace industry that let me stay moderately close to home.

I truly believe that you can find the right circumstance if you're willing to look. One of my mentors worked in the plating dept of a large aero company increasing the efficiency of the production of the barrels for the M61 Vulcan cannon. (& for those in the know, he was there while this project went from GE to Lockheed -not a good time to be an aero engineer. But he's very happy now. Ya know why, bc he liked 'guns'... and he did something that he liked.

Do what you like.

(Allegheny County)

Smile Re: Jobs dealing with guns?

Quote Originally Posted by GUNRUNNERS OF PA View Post
    "Pool boy at the Playboy mansion"
    We all need a dream!
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Allegheny County)

I'm sure there a quite a few jobs at the Playboy Mansion that I'd be willing to take...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast