Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Question Might be moving to LancCo... a few questions

Greetings. I'll try not to be long-winded...

I might be moving (back) to Lancaster County and had a few questions for those of you who actually live there.

1. How's the crime rate, particularly south and east of Lancaster City? I might be moving to "the country" like Peach Bottom or Quarryville. Is crime more rampant there compared to 10 years ago? Has crime "hit" the more rural areas, or is it still sort of isolated in the larger towns/cities?

2. Are there any gun ranges in southeastern LancCo? Or maybe over in Chester County?

3. What are the limitations of shooting on your own property, particularly if you're surrounded by farmland? Obviously a berm or other safety measures would be used.

4. Do you need a LTCF to own/possess a gun in PA? What about open carry? What about transport in a vehicle? In Delaware, OC is lawful without a license, whether on your person or in a car. To conceal of course, you'd need a CCDW License.

5. Does the County Police station provide potential residents w/ crime info, or could they tell me if a particular area is seeing an increase in crime? Delaware provides crime data online via a map interface so anyone can see what crimes happened where.

6. Does the public tend to freak out when they see you carrying? Or is this area rather OC friendly? Or does everyone conceal?

Sorry for so many questions. But these are things I've been thinking about since I'm possibly going to be moving out that way. I was born and raised in LancCo, but I never owned a gun when I lived there....

Thanks for any info everyone!
    Last edited by dave_in_delaware; May 15th, 2009 at 03:00 PM. Reason: spellcheck
    Dave (Co-Founder & Moderator: Delaware Open Carry)

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Might be moving to LancCo... a few questions

Quote Originally Posted by dave_in_delaware View Post

I might be moving (back) to Lancaster County and had a few questions for those of you who actually live there.

-snip-

2. Are there any gun ranges in southeastern LancCo? Or maybe over in Chester County?

-snip-

http://www.slcfsa.com/
    PM me with questions about this club if interested.

(York County)

Southern Lancaster county is very rural and i would imagine has a relatively low crime rate. Still mostly farmland, lots of Amish, a small residential development here or there, not very commercialized at all. Several small local stores spread fairly thin, but for the most part be prepared to travel to shop or work unless its agriculture related. Quarryville and Peach Bottom are very nice areas and the further south you go the more rural it gets. One of the few areas around I can say I might actually like more than where I live. From what little I know, it seems Solanco school district is probably a good one.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" -- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

(York County)

1. How's the crime rate, particularly south and east of Lancaster City? I might be moving to "the country" like Peach Bottom or Quarryville. Is crime more rampant there compared to 10 years ago? Has crime "hit" the more rural areas, or is it still sort of isolated in the larger towns/cities?

4. Do you need a LTCF to own/possess a gun in PA? What about open carry? What about transport in a vehicle? In Delaware, OC is lawful without a license, whether on your person or in a car. To conceal of course, you'd need a CCDW License.

6. Does the public tend to freak out when they see you carrying? Or is this area rather OC friendly? Or does everyone conceal?
    To Q1 ~ I wouldn't live in Lanc City for a million $$$ but the country living there is like country living most places not far from urban areas... Still want to lock your door but much less likely to have an incident than if you were in the city.

To Q4 ~ no LTCF need to own or possess as in OC or in possession in one's home etc. LTCF needed to carry concealed which also goes for OC in a vehicle since that is considered to be concealed by the vehicle. (some debate about motorcycles but that is for another thread) There are many threads here that can give specific details if you have other questions on this and with the OP being two weeks ago you have probably already answered them.

To Q5 ~ I would say that most conceal just because the percentage of LTCF holders is much higher than the number of people I see OC. I have OC'd in Lancaster & York Counties without any confrontations so far. My wife's one time OCing was for a PAFOA OC meet & greet in Lancaster, & I know at least three others who OC in York County regularly & they all were also at that M&G in Lancaster.

ETA ~ PS: My wife is a Lancaster County gal who transplanted to York to live with me in 2001... she says she likes living in York better than Lancaster. You might want to include York in your consideration area... housing prices are lower on this side of the river & our rural areas are just as nice, but with less tourists.
    Last edited by 87th PVI; May 31st, 2009 at 10:30 PM.
    Let us never forget the sacrifice of those who have fought for us all.

(Berks County)

3. What are the limitations of shooting on your own property, particularly if you're surrounded by farmland? Obviously a berm or other safety measures would be used.

5. Does the County Police station provide potential residents w/ crime info, or could they tell me if a particular area is seeing an increase in crime? Delaware provides crime data online via a map interface so anyone can see what crimes happened where.

Sorry for so many questions. But these are things I've been thinking about since I'm possibly going to be moving out that way. I was born and raised in LancCo, but I never owned a gun when I lived there....

Hey Dave,

We chatted before via PM. As you know I am from Lititz, Pa. Which is north of Lancaster city almost up toward Lebanon.

1) My father lives in Safe Harbor which is down around Peach Bottom and Quarryville the only real crime down there would be local teenagers doing what most teenagers do anywhere. Lancaster City is the only real place in Lancaster Co that has serious crime and some surrounding areas that support low budget housing also have a bit of crime but nothing as severe. Lititz - is very very nice especially if you get outside of the town and in the country. I don't think I would move if offered.

2) Yes we have plent of gun ranges. I can name like 6 and know there are over 15+. Manheim Sportsmen, Old Bastards, Elstonville, etc, etc.

3) If you are inside a saftey zone and out in the sticks shoot away - we do it all the time at a buddys.

4) No LTCF to own a gun. Open carry is legal but on foot as I understand it. To transport in a vehicle the gun and ammo must be separate, unless you have a LTCF then you obviously can have the gun on you.

5) Call the local county police they will probably be helpful. If not, just check papers and ask locals.

6) I've only ever seen one other person OC in Lititz and he was in Sheetz with no problems. I CC everywhere just my preference. I do know the local mall (Park City) has a no OC policy they will ask you to leave, but I do CC there as well.

Keep the questions coming chief ...

(Lancaster County)

I live in Ephrata a little ways from the city but well withing trouble distance. We are smack dab in the middle of lancaster and reading, which equals lots of drugs...and with those drugs comes problems...they are hand in hand. We have a lot of people transplanting from the city to live in the smaller town and they of course bring their city attitudes and problems right along with them. I have had vehicles broken into in front of my house as well as behind my house. Personally I don't trust anyone around here unless I have known them for a number of years...I can't wait to get the hell out of this town!
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3339&dateline=1300221  289

(Lancaster County)

You don't have to explain Ephrata to me I used to own a home there. I got the hell out because there was a good chance I would have either hurt or did worse to some of my neighbors. Think of the world as a person Ephrata would be it's asshole . There isn't much of a noise ordinance so people can pretty much get away with anything.
    I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six!

(Mifflin County)

Quote Originally Posted by keystoneman 85 View Post
    4) To transport in a vehicle the gun and ammo must be separate, unless you have a LTCF then you obviously can have the gun on you.
    That's only true for long guns. For handguns, you MUST have a license to carry/concealed carry permit from any state, except in very specific circumstances. Doesn't matter if the gun is visible or not, as the law states carry in ANY vehicle requires a license. (Not, as another poster suggested, that a vehicle in a gun is considered concealed.)

§ 6106. Firearms not to be carried without a license.
    (a) Offense defined.--
    (1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), any person who
    carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a
    firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place
    of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and
    lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony
    of the third degree.
    (2) A person who is otherwise eligible to possess a
    valid license under this chapter but carries a firearm in any
    vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or
    about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place
    of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license and
    has not committed any other criminal violation commits a
    misdemeanor of the first degree.
    (b) Exceptions.--The provisions of subsection (a) shall not
    apply to:
    (1) Constables, sheriffs, prison or jail wardens, or
    their deputies, policemen of this Commonwealth or its
    political subdivisions, or other law-enforcement officers.
    (2) Members of the army, navy, marine corps, air force
    or coast guard of the United States or of the National Guard
    or organized reserves when on duty.
    (3) The regularly enrolled members of any organization
    duly organized to purchase or receive such firearms from the
    United States or from this Commonwealth.
    (4) Any persons engaged in target shooting with a
    firearm, if such persons are at or are going to or from their
    places of assembly or target practice and if, while going to
    or from their places of assembly or target practice, the
    firearm is not loaded.
    (5) Officers or employees of the United States duly
    authorized to carry a concealed firearm.
    (6) Agents, messengers and other employees of common
    carriers, banks, or business firms, whose duties require them
    to protect moneys, valuables and other property in the
    discharge of such duties.
    (7) Any person engaged in the business of manufacturing,
    repairing, or dealing in firearms, or the agent or
    representative of any such person, having in his possession,
    using or carrying a firearm in the usual or ordinary course
    of such business.
    (8) Any person while carrying a firearm which is not
    loaded and is in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase
    to his home or place of business, or to a place of repair,
    sale or appraisal or back to his home or place of business,
    or in moving from one place of abode or business to another
    or from his home to a vacation or recreational home or
    dwelling or back, or to recover stolen property under section
    6111.1(b)(4) (relating to Pennsylvania State Police), or to a
    place of instruction intended to teach the safe handling, use
    or maintenance of firearms or back or to a location to which
    the person has been directed to relinquish firearms under 23
    Pa.C.S. § 6108 (relating to relief) or back upon return of
    the relinquished firearm or to a licensed dealer's place of
    business for relinquishment pursuant to 23 Pa.C.S. § 6108.2
    (relating to relinquishment for consignment sale, lawful
    transfer or safekeeping) or back upon return of the
    relinquished firearm or to a location for safekeeping
    pursuant to 23 Pa.C.S. § 6108.3 (relating to relinquishment
    to third party for safekeeping) or back upon return of the
    relinquished firearm.
    (9) Persons licensed to hunt, take furbearers or fish in
    this Commonwealth, if such persons are actually hunting,
    taking furbearers or fishing as permitted by such license, or
    are going to the places where they desire to hunt, take
    furbearers or fish or returning from such places.
    (10) Persons training dogs, if such persons are actually
    training dogs during the regular training season.
    (11) Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle,
    which person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license
    for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the
    United States or any other state.
    (12) A person who has a lawfully issued license to carry
    a firearm pursuant to section 6109 (relating to licenses) and
    that said license expired within six months prior to the date
    of arrest and that the individual is otherwise eligible for
    renewal of the license.
    (13) Any person who is otherwise eligible to possess a
    firearm under this chapter and who is operating a motor
    vehicle which is registered in the person's name or the name
    of a spouse or parent and which contains a firearm for which
    a valid license has been issued pursuant to section 6109 to
    the spouse or parent owning the firearm.
    (14) A person lawfully engaged in the interstate
    transportation of a firearm as defined under 18 U.S.C. §
    921(a)(3) (relating to definitions) in compliance with 18
    U.S.C. § 926A (relating to interstate transportation of
    firearms).
    (15) Any person who possesses a valid and lawfully
    issued license or permit to carry a firearm which has been
    issued under the laws of another state, regardless of whether
    a reciprocity agreement exists between the Commonwealth and
    the state under section 6109(k), provided:
    (i) The state provides a reciprocal privilege for
    individuals licensed to carry firearms under section
    (ii) The Attorney General has determined that the
    firearm laws of the state are similar to the firearm laws
    of this Commonwealth.

(Berks County)

Funny how Ephrata and Lititz are so close yet I know what you guys are talking about. I avoid Ephrata like the plauge. I mean look at freakin Green Dragon that place used to be OK it was no Roots but it was OK - now when you go there its just a bunch of low lifes from New York selling knock off purses, chains, watches, etc. Not my type of flea market.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by keystoneman 85 View Post
    Funny how Ephrata and Lititz are so close yet I know what you guys are talking about. I avoid Ephrata like the plauge. I mean look at freakin Green Dragon that place used to be OK it was no Roots but it was OK - now when you go there its just a bunch of low lifes from New York selling knock off purses, chains, watches, etc. Not my type of flea market.
    You should have seen the HUGE bust that the FBI and a few local and state LEOs made there this year. My fiance said it was insane....people were literally mugging these people after they got busted and the cops just stood there and watched as they just took the illegal merchandise...I think a few of the illegal immigrants were also deported...I thought this incident was histerical...
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3339&dateline=1300221  289

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast