Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 87 of 94 FirstFirst ... 3777838485868788899091 ... LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: State Constables, the best kept secret in PA.

Quote Originally Posted by 302w View Post
    Is the "Constable Rule Book" online?
    The laws covering constables are spread over a few statutes. Most of it is in Title 44, chapter 71: https://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs...&div=0&chpt=71

I don't remember where all the other ones are, but I know we are mentioned in the election statute.

I live in a densely populated area with a large active police department as well as County Sheriff's around. In fact I am pursuing Constable in my WARD, not just town!

My reason for not actively pursuing certification is that I do have a day job and serving papers/court security etc is something I simply couldn't do while maintaining my full time job. I am not a full time police officer.

Selfishly, it would be nice to have LEOSA rights if I become certified.

Can the cost of classes be claimed on income taxes?

Really, I'd be interested in serving the community outside of business hours. Perhaps not simply police work.
    I work about 3-5 hours a week, mainly in the evenings, and I also do evictions one day a week on Fridays when I get a half day off from my day job. I only work out of one court, but make about $8K gross doing so.

And while I'm not an accountant, I do include everything I spend on being a constable, along with everything I make being one in the information I give my tax preparer every year.

I hope this helps.

(Bradford County)

If you are verified as the winner, you will be contacted by the county elections office. if you accept, then you will be the constable starting Jan 1st 2022. Constables are elected law enforcement, and we don't just serve the courts. Serving the courts is something we can do. Also, serving the courts is the only thing PCCD trains you on.

As for the difference between the two, a High Constable is a position found only in a borough or city that is divided into wards. You have to be a proper constable before you can be elected as High Constable. That means, you must win your election as constable in your ward to be able to win the position of high constable, the High Constable is the chief constable of the borough.

If you accept the position of constable, you may decide not to get certified, but that is only for serving the courts, but you must accept the responsibility that comes with being the constable. For example, say there is a resident and a neighbors farm animals got loose and made their way onto their yard and trampled the yard, (this happens more than people know) guess whos responsibility it is to handle it. That's right, its the constable. The police or State Police cannot do anything on it.

If you feel that this is something that you are unwilling to do, then you are not willing to full fill your responsibility as a constable and maybe you shouldn't accept the position.

Either way, good luck in your decision.

(Washington County)

Is the "Constable Rule Book" online?

I live in a densely populated area with a large active police department as well as County Sheriff's around. In fact I am pursuing Constable in my WARD, not just town!

My reason for not actively pursuing certification is that I do have a day job and serving papers/court security etc is something I simply couldn't do while maintaining my full time job. I am not a full time police officer.

Selfishly, it would be nice to have LEOSA rights if I become certified.

Can the cost of classes be claimed on income taxes?

Really, I'd be interested in serving the community outside of business hours. Perhaps not simply police work.
    With respect and not trying to sound snarky, that sentence upon itself is exactly why you need to attend Basic Constable Training. Constables are a strange part of PA Law Enforcement that play very particular rules in their local township, but one thing you don't want to do is work as law enforcement outside your limits. For instance, lady calls me a few months ago asking me to accompany her when she goes to her ex's house to remove her belongings. Well that's a big fat no because I'm would be basically working as her security, she takes something that doesn't belong to her and the police are called, you are now part of shitstorm of he said / she said. Now if she would have shown me a court order stating she's allowed to remove certain items from that residence, let's roll and get your shit.

Let's say you see a car driving erratically down the street, you think definitely DUI, do you flash your lights and pull the guy over, another big fat No. Constables are forbidden from doing traffic stops, investigation work, etc.

So, that's my long way of saying, if you are going to be a Constable, be a Constable and get Act 49 certified. That way you can really help your community in the little ways you can, even if you don't want to work with the court system.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

One small bit of community service that I do is to direct traffic for borough events. State law gives us that authority. Drivers don't know the difference between a constable and a cop, they just see a LEO with a badge and a gun. We're not allowed to put lights on our vehicles, though.

(Bradford County)

Quote Originally Posted by icp4life162005 View Post
    Oh nice!

So am I able to go to any local township in my county, where no one has ran, and apply to fill the vacant position?
    No, you must be a resident of the district you want to run in.

(Bradford County)

Quote Originally Posted by WCMG View Post
    That's a long answer, but not being certified means you can not work for court system (serving papers, picking up fugitives, court security, etc.), at the same time, I would be hesitant to do any constable work in your township (my number one phone call is "His cows are in my yard again" which is a Constable issue) without certification because that would open you up to liability issues. The constable rule book is fairly complex on what you are allowed to do and not allowed do, so really recommend you get certified and then do you yearly ConEd.

And do you **Joking here** really want to miss out on required online classes like this that I'm doing today:

For trespassing farm animals, PCCD does absolutely no training for that and certification isn't required. What is needed is some training and experience with large animals. Myself, grew up on a farm, had animal husbandry at Penn State with the certification for Humane Police officer. But the farm experience and contacts are the most important, because if you end up having to impound an animal, or several animals, you need to have a place to keep them. By the way, PSP knows only constables can handle this and when they get the call, they pass it on.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Iraqvetwpb View Post
    For trespassing farm animals, PCCD does absolutely no training for that and certification isn't required. What is needed is some training and experience with large animals. Myself, grew up on a farm, had animal husbandry at Penn State with the certification for Humane Police officer. But the farm experience and contacts are the most important, because if you end up having to impound an animal, or several animals, you need to have a place to keep them. By the way, PSP knows only constables can handle this and when they get the call, they pass it on.
    As Iraqvetwpb stated, with regards to dealing with livestock, unless you have experience working with and around them, don't. Find someone who does and have them help you until you do have some experience. They can spook easy and certain breeds can be very temperamental. Have a set of muck boots to... unless you like scraping poo off your boots or shoes.
    "If you're not catching flak, you're not over the target"

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Iraqvetwpb View Post
    If you feel that this is something that you are unwilling to do, then you are not willing to full fill your responsibility as a constable and maybe you shouldn't accept the position.
    Please bear in mind I'm still learning much of this which is why I'm here. Not looking to skirt any responsibilities

Oh, and, there's one gentleman in my entire town that has chickens. I have a greater chance of UFOs than livestock incidents!

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by WCMG View Post
    With respect and not trying to sound snarky, that sentence upon itself is exactly why you need to attend Basic Constable Training.
    Not snarky at all and very genuine. Thanks for the feedback!

(Allegheny County)

Please bear in mind I'm still learning much of this which is why I'm here. Not looking to skirt any responsibilities

Oh, and, there's one gentleman in my entire town that has chickens. I have a greater chance of UFOs than livestock incidents!
    So how do Constables get paid or make money? is it by the cow? ( ) or every time you respond to a call you get X$ ???

Page 87 of 94 FirstFirst ... 3777838485868788899091 ... LastLast