Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thumbs down Are lead bullets safe in 20" with Micro-GrooveŽ rifling (12 grooves)?

This is for the Marlin 336 .30-30.

Is this the most active forum on the internet?

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Are lead bullets safe in 20" with Micro-GrooveŽ rifling (12 grooves)?

safe yes, but they will build up lead, and degrade accuracy....not to mention its a pain to clean.

Microgroove = jacketed or plated lead bullets only

Ballard = lead/cast/hardcast etc.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Erie County)

Default Re: Are lead bullets safe in 20" with Micro-GrooveŽ rifling (12 grooves)?

12 grooves!?!!?!?!? That's crazy. Your not gonna have a fun time cleaning that. The circumference of the barrel is going to be almost an inch. 12 grooves means just over a 1/16 of an inch there is going to be a groove cutting into the bullet. I'm sure it won't hurt, but I'd use a SP or HP. Just think of having to clean lead out of 12 grooves.

(Westmoreland County)

The reason Marlin started offering ballard type rifling was in response to the cowboy action phenomenon where most folks shoot cast bullets in pistol calibers. I would not shoot cast bullets in a micro-groove barrels.

Well that sucks because I have about 500 lead bullets.

I am thinking about buying another .30-30 leveraction riffle. Any sugestions on which one will handle these lead bullets?

Thanks,
    Mike

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by mtscott View Post
    Well that sucks because I have about 500 lead bullets.

I am thinking about buying another .30-30 leveraction riffle. Any sugestions on which one will handle these lead bullets?

Thanks,
    Mike
    Winchester uses conventional rifling.

(Lycoming County)

There are a few unknowns such as can a gas check be used? How fast do you plan on driving the bullets? What is the hardness? What kind of bullet lube?

If you can use a gas check leading will be greatly reduced as most leading comes from the base of the bullet being melted by the hot gases.

I get leading in my cutts compensator using FMJ if the base is exposed, and thats driving them at about 800 to 900 fps. through a 10.5" tube.

Info from LeverGuns.com

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/fr...llowpoints.htm
    Jack

(Allegheny County)

Cast bullets will shoot fine in Microgroove barrel assuming you get things right. The bullets need to be .002" to .003" larger than the groove diameter and cast from a fairly hard alloy such as Lyman #2 or harder. For example the 444 Marlin's groove diameter tends to be araound .429" to .430" and they shoot best with cast bullets that are .432". Gas checks are your friend as well.