Default Do you carry extra ammo

Do you carry extra ammo on your person?

I think the an
    grizz
    Last edited by GRIZZLYBEAR; April 1st, 2014 at 09:38 AM. Reason: content

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Do you carry extra ammo

I carry one spare (hicap) mag. Rationale:

1. Balances the weight of the gun a little, to reduce back strain.

2. Some malfunctions require a mag change to clear.

3. Extra ammo.

4. All my training is done with the one spare, so I carry as I train.

5. Feel strange without it.

...where it isn't clear which is the dominant reason..

(Berks County)

I currently don't carry extra ammo when carrying, as I carry a semi-auto which has a 17rd magazine. I'm looking at purchasing a smaller semi-auto as a BUG, and if I do I may carry one extra mag in that case (as it only has a 6rd magazine).

However, be warned that carrying an extra magazine could put one in legal trouble. Grizz, I think you posted in this other thread, but for the others viewing, also take a look here:
    http://www.pafoa.org/forum/concealed...light=modified

It discusses why carrying a "modified" pistol or extra magazines could put one in a legal bind if you ever had to defend yourself, as a lawyer could paint the picture of someone who was "looking for a fight" because you carried an extra mag and had a trigger job done. Seems silly to me, but I guess it could happen.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    However, be warned that carrying an extra magazine could put one in legal trouble.
    I seriously doubt that. Do you have any case cites of this actually happening?

If someone questions the need for extra ammo right after I've just had a gunfight, it strikes me a self-evidently silly question.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    It discusses why carrying a "modified" pistol or extra magazines could put one in a legal bind if you ever had to defend yourself, as a lawyer could paint the picture of someone who was "looking for a fight" because you carried an extra mag and had a trigger job done. Seems silly to me, but I guess it could happen.
    I've never seen a case where a common modification (or an extra magazine) was used to show someone was "looking for a fight."

Unless you're talking about a modification that resulted in an unintentional discharge, I simply don't see how it is admissible in 99.9999% of cases where you're represented by an even moderately competent lawyer, and before a judge who isn't a complete imbecile. I know I've said this before, and I think most folks agree: There is far too much speculation going on about what a jury would say to evidence that isn't admissible in most cases. People need to rememeber that trials are only about "how things look" when those "things" are admissible.

I know people mean well by bringing up this sort of thing -- it's just that it isn't going to be admitted, the jury will never see it, so why worry about it? It's so unlikely as to be an impossibility.

Anyway, if it makes someone feel better to carry a completely stock gun and no reload, more power to 'em. Personally, I'll have what modifications I feel necessary performed, and I'll carry reloads.
    Last edited by Rule10b5; January 2nd, 2007 at 02:25 PM.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Luzerne County)

I always carry two extra mags and a BUG. I carry the mags more so incase there is a malfunction than for the extra rounds, but that is certainly nice as well.
    -JL-

"There are many important issues, but the gun-hating psychos who would flush the Bill of Rights down the toilet have changed that for me. I would vote for a puppy-killing, football hating, incestuous Martian if I thought he would preserve and protect the Constitution from all enemies, both foreign and domestic." - obxned
    "Don't confuse my kindness with weakness"

(Philadelphia County)

I read this article that somebody posted, "Death on the Trail" or something like that, on this or another forum,

but basically, it was an indepth article of a shooting, this dude is hiking alone, then he meets some other dude, and seconds later the latter was dead on the floor.

Even after evidence, and witnesses surfaced who testified that the second guy was a ticking time bomb, with a history of very agressive behavior and a loner/freak type, the first guy was sentenced to 10 years, primarily because he was carrying hollow-point ammo.
    Interviews with the jurors quoted them at saying "it looked like self defence, but he carried those rounds, that are meant to kill, and only kill".

There was another classic quote by the prosecutor.. "But WHY did you have to shoot him?? You had the gun, couldnt you hit him with it?? It least its a sturdy piece of metal."

What an ignorant a-hole.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Allegheny County)

i used to carry a spare mag in case of mag failure, but i don't anymore.

i carry a bunch of other stuff that i actually use from time to time, and i just ran out of room to comfortably carry it all. so, i had to decide on something to leave out.

given how reliable my glock has been (have never had a malfunction except failure to lock back on empty with a really old dirty mag...but i carry a clean nearly new one), i decided to stop carrying the extra mag rather than stop carrying a flashlight, knife, first aid kit, etc.

and i don't think i'll likely ever need more than 18 rounds.

I feel like Batman with all the stuff I carry at work, X amount of tools, flashlight, pager, phone, leatherman, knife, gun....during working hours I usually don't carry the extra mag. Off work I usually have one or two mags pending on what holster I'm using.

If I'm carrying in the pants I have one extra mag, shoulder holster = two extra mags, mainly to offeset the weight of the pistol.
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post
    the first guy was sentenced to 10 years, primarily because he was carrying hollow-point ammo.
    Interviews with the jurors quoted them at saying "it looked like self defence, but he carried those rounds, that are meant to kill, and only kill".
    He was convicted, primarily, because he shot an unarmed man.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast