Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Maverick 88 by moss berg question

So i just bought a Maverick 88 with 28" barrel and looking to turkey hunt with it this fall/spring. Was wondering if anyone had any experience with what brand ammo works the best for turkey hunting thrust this shotty. And would the mod choke or full choke be better?

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: Maverick 88 by moss berg question

My opinion. Go full choke, you want as eight a pattern as possible for turkey.

As far as shells. You will probably get tons of different answers as everyone has their personal prefrences. Myself I have always had good luck with federal 3" turkey loads with 4 shot. They always patterned very well out of my Mossberg 500 with a full choke (Very similar to you're 88). Since switching to an 835 mossberg I have gone with 3 1/2" #5 shot federal loads. They pattern well but, I haven't used them on a bird yet.

Truthfully, any "Turkey" load on the market is probably more than up to the task, so I would just pick a couple and go out and pattern test them with you're gun/choke combo. Whichever gives you the a pattern you're happiest with that's what you go with.

Good luck in turkey season.

(Bucks County)

Pick up 2 or three different boxes of 3" turkey loads and try them.

(Jefferson County)

Full choke - you'll be aiming for the head.

#4 bird works fine at typical turkey hunting ranges. 3" isn't required.. ...but the extra shot in the air will help guaranty a few more hits to the head.

Remember that with "magnum" shotgun shells like the 3" and 3.5" - you really aren't getting more velocity like a .357mag over a .38Special. With shotgun shells you are really only getting more pellets. ...velocity is relatively the same between 2-1/2", 2-5/8", 2-3/4", 3", and 3-1/2" shells. (and the 2-1/2" and 2-5/8" shells have killed everything that has walked the earth in the past 140 years)
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Full choke - you'll be aiming for the head.

#4 bird works fine at typical turkey hunting ranges. 3" isn't required.. ...but the extra shot in the air will help guaranty a few more hits to the head.

Remember that with "magnum" shotgun shells like the 3" and 3.5" - you really aren't getting more velocity like a .357mag over a .38Special. With shotgun shells you are really only getting more pellets. ...velocity is relatively the same between 2-1/2", 2-5/8", 2-3/4", 3", and 3-1/2" shells. (and the 2-1/2" and 2-5/8" shells have killed everything that has walked the earth in the past 140 years)
    Solid advice here.

I got sucked into the 3 1/2" shell hype. In reality there isn't a huge advantage and the down side is heavier recoil. My 835 is a bear with 3 1/2" shells. I shot enough to pattern it and it hasn't seen range time since. I have one box of turkey shells for it I dust off whenever I want to take it hunting otherwise it is a safe queen.

Appreciate the help..yea I might just take the 2 3/4 with heavier load..not sure yet..but like the 3in with the extra pellets but hate the recoil. Can't wait to take it to the range and try it out