Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Helping the trigger pull on .22 revolver

My dad has a .22 revolver that he has owned for about 30 years. The trigger pull on it is near impossible. I mean I am no weakling but I have a hard time getting it to fire. I checked it out and it doesn't appear to be rusty or anything. Took the grip panels off and looked at the spring and it looks like it's in pretty good shape, not rusty or anything like that.

Just looking to see if there are any suggestions on helping make it easier to pull. I did put a couple drops of oil on the spring as I am sure it has not had much over the years. But also not much use over the years either.

Thanks,

PS:It will be at the shoot with me if anyone wants to inspect it, not even sure the brand it is.

Default Re: Helping the trigger pull on .22 revolver

Thats a hard to answer question with out knowing the type of pistol and or model.

Guns do get easyer with time and use, but one with a good hand can make that happen faster.... Wil you have this at the shoot? if so try to show it to me, I will have a look at it.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Allegheny County)

Yeah I am bringing it out with me to the shoot. Went out and got some 22 ammo just so I could try and break the gun in some more. I will try and get some more info from dad tomorrow on the pistol but if I recall correctly I don't know if there is even a name stamped on the pistol. I will certainly be giving an effort to run some rounds through it to try and losen it up some but not much as I will have other more fun toys to play with at the shoot

Hi , without having the gun to look at , here is my thought I have seen often , I assume the gun was not always this hard to fire , I assume that because you seem to think there is now a problem , the gun has sat for a long period of time , here is what will often happen when folks misuse oil or solvent , esp hoppes 9 which was a favorite in your days day and possible what he used. Folks will get oil and solvent where it shouldn't be and it will set and harden over time , yes it will set to the point the trigger is hard if not at time impossible to pull. I suggest you get some "gun scrubber" from a gun store , put the little tube on it and flood these areas , open the cylinder and spray it into the area where the cylinder hand is , this is the place where the little thing comes out and turns the cylinder , next push in on the ejector rod and hold it and spray the crap out of the area under there and work the ejector rod back and forth and spray more , next flip the gun over and spray it down the opening where the trigger comes out , next cock the gun and spray it down inside the hammer area , and work these parts and spray some more , if she loosens up , there you go , keep in mind this spray removes oil and the parts should be recoated later lightly, if not the solution then tear it down , I am in my late 30's and seen this kind of thing happen a million times , esp with guns that have sat a long time , that is where I would look 1st. Some folks may crap themselves at the thought of spraying like that cause it removes the oils , but if it has hardened that is what you must do and often it can be done without a complete overhaul.

(Allegheny County)

Thanks for the info, I will give that a whirl. I will probably be over there on Thursday, so I will try it then. For the age of the gun it's in remarkably good shape. But as I said, for the most part it has spent it's long life in a small cardboard box in their nightstand. Probably on the 9th will be the first time it has gotten a chance to actually see range time