Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how do i

(Bucks County)

Default how do i

how do u get a class 3 license?

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by den9 View Post
    how do u get a class 3 license?
    Well, that depends highly on what you think a class 3 license is.

The term "Class 3 license" is something that doesn't really exist technically. If you are a firearms dealer with an FFL (Federal Firearms License) and you pay your $500/yr SOT (Special Occupational Tax) you become a Class 3 FFL which allows you to buy, sell, and transfer NFA/Title II items.

If you are a non-dealer who just wants to buy a NFA/Title II item, you do not get any sort of license, the seller and the buyer simply fill out some forms and send them to the ATF. The ATF will then process them and send them back to the seller either approved or denied. If it's approved it will have a tax stamp attached to it and the seller will give the buyer the form and the item. The approved form with the stamp on it now acts as proof of registration/tax paid on the item in question.

If you want to buy another item, start the process once again.

I hope that helps clear up some of the confusion, in the coming weeks I'll be putting together a whole section of the main site related to NFA in Pennsylvania that is much more in depth.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Bucks County)

so if i want a hk mp5 i just have to fill some papers out, and pay alot of tax. what makes them say yes or no

also what about silencers and sawed of shotguns

(Philadelphia County)

so if i want a hk mp5 i just have to fill some papers out, and pay alot of tax. what makes them say yes or no
    also what about silencers and sawed of shotguns
    As an individual if you wanted to buy an HK MP5 you would have to do the following:

1. Locate one for sale. Make sure to keep in mind that if it located out of state TWO transfers will need to be done and you MAY have to pay the $200 tax twice (depending on whether it is owned by another individual or a class 3 dealer)
    2. Agree on a price. MP5s currently are advertised around the $14,000-15,000 mark (It's not a cheap hobby unfortunately)
    3. Assuming you've located one in state, both you and the current owner will have to fill out two copies of an ATF form 5320.4 (Application For Tax Paid Transfer and Registration of a Firearm.) The form itself is fairly basic information about what is being transferred, who it is being transferred from and who it is being transferred to. The transferee (you) will also have to provide fingerprint cards, photographs, and will have to get a Law Enforcement Certification from either the sheriff of chief of police in your county/city. The LEOC is the hardest part depending on where you live (for example it is impossible in Philadelphia, but much easier in the more rural areas.) In your case I believe Bucks county isn't too bad. The LEOC is basically the LEO signing the Form 4 saying "To the best of my knowledge the guy buying this item isn't a criminal and it is not illegal for them to own such an item here."
    4. Send the form off to the ATF. The approval process can take anywhere between a few days (very rare) to a few months, currently transfers are averaging about a month.
    5. Once the form is returned approved you pick up the gun.
    As for what it takes to be approved it's pretty much just whether or not the transfer is legal. If you can legally purchase a regular gun, and you can complete the forms, there is no real reason the transfer would not be approved.

Additionally the best place for information on NFA on the Internet is probably Subguns on their message board. That's where most guys into this hobby hang out and they are very knowledgable and helpful in answering questions.

Hope this has helped, let me know if you have any other questions.
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Bucks County)

do i have to pay a yearly fee or renew stuff. was this possible before that assault weapon ban wasnt renewed or whatever?

(Philadelphia County)

do i have to pay a yearly fee or renew stuff.
    No, it is a one-time tax.
    was this possible before that assault weapon ban wasnt renewed or whatever?
    The law regulating NFA items was created in 1934 and hasn't changed since (AWB was 1994). During the time of the AWB the NFA superceded it. AWB had no effect whatsoever on NFA.

(Bucks County)

what are silencers considered, and can you buy them straight from manufacturers

(Philadelphia County)

what are silencers considered, and can you buy them straight from manufacturers
    Suppressors are Title II items also and subject to the same process. You can only buy them direct from the manufacturer if you live in the same state as the manufacturer. Otherwise the manufacturer will have to transfer it to a class 3 dealer in your state who will in turn transfer it to you.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: how do i

Quote Originally Posted by danp View Post
    [*]Assuming you've located one in state, both you and the current owner will have to fill out two copies of an ATF form 5320.4 (Application For Tax Paid Transfer and Registration of a Firearm.) The form itself is fairly basic information about what is being transferred, who it is being transferred from and who it is being transferred to. The transferee (you) will also have to provide fingerprint cards, photographs, and will have to get a Law Enforcement Certification from either the sheriff of chief of police in your county/city. The LEOC is the hardest part depending on where you live (for example it is impossible in Philadelphia, but much easier in the more rural areas.) In your case I believe Bucks county isn't too bad. The LEOC is basically the LEO signing the Form 4 saying "To the best of my knowledge the guy buying this item isn't a criminal and it is not illegal for them to own such an item here."
    I'm about to start a transaction for an AR-15 DIAS.

Would my local township PD have the required fingerprint cards? When I applied for the FL carry permit, they sent me a card along with the application.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: how do i

Quote Originally Posted by Suburban View Post
    Would my local township PD have the required fingerprint cards?
    Probbaly, but to be honest I've never done fingerprints for an NFA transfer so I'm not 100% sure exactly what is required of the PD. I'm assuming they have to take the prints and sign them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast