Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default One hand reload with a revolver?

This came up in chat last night.

If you carry a revolver, and your strong arm goes down in a fight, how would you reload your revolver if you used all the ammo that was in the gun? This is actually a very good thing to think about, and to practice. Nobody ever considers that they might get shot in a gunfight, so they don't practice any weak hand tactics. I really can't think of any way other than setting the revolver on the ground to reload it. Of course I've barely shot any revolvers at all, so you guys that do carry wheelguns might have some insight.

(Chester County)

Default Re: One hand reload with a revolver?

Quote Originally Posted by jmateer View Post
    This came up in chat last night.

If you carry a revolver, and your strong arm goes down in a fight, how would you reload your revolver if you used all the ammo that was in the gun? This is actually a very good thing to think about, and to practice. Nobody ever considers that they might get shot in a gunfight, so they don't practice any weak hand tactics. I really can't think of any way other than setting the revolver on the ground to reload it. Of course I've barely shot any revolvers at all, so you guys that do carry wheelguns might have some insight.
    Weak hand reloading a revolver isn't that rough. I practice it from time to time. It isn't hard with a speedloader or speed strip, just awkward compared to strong hand. The real problem is when your strong arm is down bad enough that you can't use it to even hold the revolver while you're using your other hand to reload. I imagine if that were the case I'd end up sitting down with the revolver in my lap and just doing a fumble reload.

The thing is, though, how likely is it that you're (i) going to be shot in a way that completely disables one arm; (ii) have the time to reload in a fumbling fashion; and (iii) still need to shoot at the bad guys. I figured that you're pretty much screwed if the above happen, unless you're behind a barricade in a "shoot out" -- which is unlikely, I'd say.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rule10b5 View Post
    The thing is, though, how likely is it that you're (i) going to be shot in a way that completely disables one arm;
    Ever do a Force on Force class? Where do people hold guns when they are shooting at you? Answer: in front of their chest, where you're supposed to be shooting at. It's very common in FoF to see peoples' hands, and arms get shot.

It's not as fast, but it's fairly easy to reload with one hand using a autoloader.

Eject empty mag, put the gun in the holster/weak side pocket/whatever, insert new mag, rack the gun off of your belt, or press the slide release.
    Last edited by JustinM; April 11th, 2007 at 10:55 AM.

(Tioga County)

There are several methods. it depends on the firearm and if you use a speed loader. With a S&W after ejection leave it open and stuff the barrel in your pants.

(Lehigh County)

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/training-...-revolver.html

At Michael de Bethencourt's Snubby training class we were taught an effective procedure for reloading with one hand only from both sides.

It involved opening the cylinder, ejecting the shells, tucking the butt stock into your belt enough to hold the cylinders from spinning , reloading from loose or speed strips or speed loader, closing the cylinder and getting back into the fight. Fairly quick and easier than it may sound.

Michael's training was very good, I'd recommend it to all that carry a snub-nose.
    Veritas Vos Liberat

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by LastManOut View Post
    http://www.pafoa.org/forum/training-...-revolver.html

At Michael de Bethencourt's Snubby training class we were taught an effective procedure for reloading with one hand only from both sides.

It involved opening the cylinder, ejecting the shells, tucking the butt stock into your belt enough to hold the cylinders from spinning , reloading from loose or speed strips or speed loader, closing the cylinder and getting back into the fight. Fairly quick and easier than it may sound.

Michael's training was very good, I'd recommend it to all that carry a snub-nose.
    Awesome. I knew there had to be some different ways.

Is it easy to do while moving?

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by jmateer View Post
    Ever do a Force on Force class? Where do people hold guns when they are shooting at you? Answer: in front of their chest, where you're supposed to be shooting at. It's very common in FoF to see peoples' hands, and arms get shot.
    I know :P

I meant all three things together.

Think about it: The average gunfight takes place within feet, and is over in seconds. I doubt I'll ever empty my gun in a one or one or one on two.

Sure, I still carry a speedloader or extra mag, but I don't expect to ever have the chance to use it. Unless I'm in some sort of siege/stand-off gunfight. But I'm not a cop -- the chances of that happening to me are waaaaay down the list of "might happen" to as to be nonexistent.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Luzerne County)

FIREARMS TRAINING

XI) One-handed reloading of the Revolver

a) Start with the revolver and speed loaders loaded with training rounds.

This drill can be performed with both the strong and weak hand. The hand designated will serve as the “good” hand.

b) Activate the cylinder release catch and open the cylinder with your good hand.

c) Stick your fingers or thumb through the frame to keep the cylinder from closing. Also use your thumb or trigger finger to push the ejector rod down and dump your expended brass.

d) Stick the barrel of the weapon in your waistband with the cylinder open and away from your body.

e) The ejector rod should be positioned outside your belt to help secure the weapon while reloading.

f) Utilizing speed loaders or loose rounds, load the cylinder, then close it and go back on target.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rule10b5 View Post
    I know :P

I meant all three things together.

Think about it: The average gunfight takes place within feet, and is over in seconds. I doubt I'll ever empty my gun in a one or one or one on two.

Sure, I still carry a speedloader or extra mag, but I don't expect to ever have the chance to use it. Unless I'm in some sort of siege/stand-off gunfight. But I'm not a cop -- the chances of that happening to me are waaaaay down the list of "might happen" to as to be nonexistent.
    Rule, you are absolutely correct. The odds of this scenario occurring are small in the extreme. The chance of a situation that requires you to draw your weapon, while not as small as the above, is also pretty small. But it is against these small odds that we train. Here's another scenario. You are in an automobile accident and you break your arm. Doesn't matter which one. Or you fall and sprain your wrist. You're an attorney. You trained to think in contingencies. You can come up with a dozen scenarios in which it might be necessary to be able to execute a one handed revolver or pistol reload.

A lousy time to try to figure out how to do it is in the middle of the fight. It's already too late when the bad guys have found you.

Respectfully submitted
    Never underestimate the value of early training.