Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Northumberland County)

Unhappy Seeking advice with a bad online buy...

Hello all...

Please feel free to move this if it is in the wrong spot.

I have been a long-time reader of this forum and I was seeking some “highroad” style advice for one of my recent transactions on Gunbroker.com. I have been buying and selling things on there for years and never had a problem. Until now...

About a week ago, I received a Century Arms AK from a shop that is badly short stroking and failing to eject. The auction specified a three day inspection period for a return and I also paid with my VISA card.

I was initially able to make contact with the shop and express my desire to return it. However, the responses have since been infrequent and I think that I am now being dismissed. I was told that they want me to send the gun back to them so someone can shoot it and determine what is going on. I told them that I will send them the gun but I want my money returned. This gun has some bad karma...I have never had an AK act like this. I definitely don't want it around.

My biggest fear right now is that I will return the gun and someone will tinker with it and/or try to get me to pay for another round of shipping and FFL fees for something that could be junk. I guess there is also a possibility that I could be out of a gun and my money if I never hear from them again.

I have called my bank and I am on the verge of getting them involved. I am working with a representative who was surprisingly gun friendly and supportive. I just have not pressed the button yet. The bank told me that they would try and re-coop the entire purchase price including all shipping fees including the return shipping. This is tempting but I wanted to bounce this all off someone else first.

Has anyone else out there faced a situation like this? I am wondering if there is another angle that I could be working. I really appreciate your help.

Thanks!

Trigg3r

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Seeking advice with a bad online buy...

First off...now you see exactly why a lot of people refuse to buy anything Century related. I would personally get the bank and Gunbroker involved. Those are bad business practices that the dealer is throwing around.

wenzeled...

If God didn't intend us to have guns why would he have given us a trigger finger?

(Northumberland County)

I think that I may yet file a complaint with Gunbroker but it seems that you must wait 30 days and they will only pursue up to $500. Sadly, this auction was more than that.

As far as the type of gun it is - I think it is a moot point but I agree with you to an extent. I have had some awesome Century guns and I have had some lemons.

This one is definitely a lemon. I just wish legal Yugo M70s came in other flavors.

(Westmoreland County)

Get the bank to reverse the payment and put it on hold until the dealer is ready and willing to either make the necessary repairs or provide you with a good working gun. Notify "Gunsmoker" about this dealer and ask for them to send you a reply whether this dealer had more complaints. I have been on "Gunsmoker" for years now and always got what I ordered but had some bad deals like you......notifying "Gunsmoker" always worked out for me.

Before involving the bank, you might want to give the dealer one more chance. Place a call to him/her and record the call......but make sure you tell him/her you are recording the conversation. If they are willing to work it out, they won't mind you recording the conversation.
    You can only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent

(Allegheny County)

at the very least there would be no ffl fees because it is your gun which you sent to a licensee for service or repair. as such it can be returned directly to you.

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    First off...now you see exactly why a lot of people refuse to buy anything Century related. I would personally get the bank and Gunbroker involved. Those are bad business practices that the dealer is throwing around.
    I'd get the bank and GB involved

I bought my AK at a Dunham's where I could fondle them before I bought it.... looked at about 7 different ones before I found one without obvious issues all were CAI guns
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

(Bucks County)

what century AK did you purchase? century is well known for building firearms that have issues but century will allow you to return the rifle to them and either fix it or send you a new one. if the auction offered a 3 day inspection period then you have the right to return the rifle for a refund but don't expect to get a refund before the seller receives the rifle from you. no seller is going to refund your money before they receive the rifle back. does the terms of sale specifically allow you a refund if you're not happy with the rifle?? does the terms of sale specify who is responsible for return shipping? are you communicating via email or phone? if email you need to call them since everyone doesn't answer emails right away.

did you check the sellers feedback? if he's been on GB for a while and has built a solid reputation it's unlikely he'll try and rip you. if the seller has few sales and little feedback you might want to be wary of retunring the Ak and just contact century and let them fix it.
    Last edited by wellcraft; September 6th, 2011 at 06:22 PM.