Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Next Firearm: Revolver or Shotgun?

I'm going to be adding a new member to my firearms family soon. Maybe even tomorrow when I go to Tanner's looking for deals. I need to decide between buying a revolver, and a shotgun... and then I need to decide on the specifics. I am leaning heavily towards a .357mag/.38 Revolver or a 12gauge shotgun.
    A Revolver would be because revolvers are so much fun to shoot and are great looking guns for Open Carry. Shotguns on the other hand are much more versatile in their use and are effective in home defense, range shooting, trap shooting and hunting. I don't believe small game hunting with revolvers is legal in Pa. now very feasible. Unless I'm mistaken. Which would be pretty cool.

I need arguments for both sides, Shotgun & Revolver and I also need ideas on which calibe/gauge to get and which make and model to look at. I will probably go with a used firearm either way if that makes any difference.

Thanks guys.

By the way, my current family includes a Glock 19, a Savage .22lr bolt-action, a Mosin-nagant m91/30, and an AR-15 if that makes any difference.
    Last edited by ByblosHex; August 8th, 2011 at 10:32 AM.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Next Firearm: Revolver or Shotgun?

Flip a coin, get the winner now. Then get the other when you can.

You can use a ".23 caliber" revolver for hunting small game, that includes centerfire cartridges. During some overlapping seasons with large game you can only use a .22rimfire or less. A .38/.357 wouldn't be legal on small game, except groundhog, coyote, and porcupine(I think, they are new to the list).

If you want to avoid the coin approach, get the one now that will fill a void. If you already have a carry gun and don't have a shotgun, then the shotgun is the winner by logic.

Shotgun - 12ga with 3" chamber. There is really nothing in PA or the US of A that you need 3" or 3-1/2" shells for, but having the option of the 3" chamber will allow you to shoot the heavier loads if you find shells cheap. Mossberg 500 and Remington 870 are the most popular because they are affordable and they work - you really cant go wrong with either.

Revolving Pistol - .38/.357. They are a good intermediate caliber allowing you to shoot for cheap, but having enough energy for hunting and personal protection. Recoil is quite manageable versus the larger calibers. Once you get to 41mag and larger recoil can beat you up in short order. Plus, unless you reload or have a good paying job - shooting gets super costly. Look for something in the L or N frame size. The J and K frame sizes aren't meant to handle large dosages of "magnum" loads. The L and N frames will hold up for a longer lifetime. J, K, L, and N frame sizes being relative to the manufacturer in comparison to S&W's sizes.
    Last edited by knight0334; August 8th, 2011 at 10:36 AM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Flip a coin, get the winner now. Then get the other when you can.

You can use a ".23 caliber" revolver for hunting small game, that includes centerfire cartridges. During some overlapping seasons with large game you can only use a .22rimfire or less. A .38/.357 wouldn't be legal on small game, except groundhog, coyote, and porcupine(I think, they are new to the list).

If you want to avoid the coin approach, get the one now that will fill a void. If you already have a carry gun and don't have a shotgun, then the shotgun is the winner by logic.
    What happens if youre small game-hunting and carrying a Revolver and Shotgun?

(Wyoming County)

A judge and then you have both

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by capitolcop View Post
    That's neither a 12gauge or a .357mag/.38. It's more or less suitable for neither purpose unfortunately. I'm sure it's a great/fun gun, but it's not what I'm looking for today.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by ByblosHex View Post
    What happens if youre small game-hunting and carrying a Revolver and Shotgun?
    If you are carrying a shotgun and a revolver during small game, and the revolver is larger than legally allowed - you better be carrying it for protection only. Do not take game with it. You are allowed to carry a "firearm" for defensive purposes regardless of it being a legal device to take game. However you must follow the game laws and Title 18 laws.

I carry my .44spl when small game hunting. But I don't take game with it, unless it's a groundhog or yote.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by capitolcop View Post
    I've yet to see a ruling as to whether a "Judge" is legal for small game. Technically it is a .45 caliber handgun, not a shotgun regardless of if you have .410 shells in it. A .22 CCI shotshell doesn't make a .22RF handgun or rifle into a shotgun. The law states the caliber of firearm, which the Judge is a .45 caliber handgun.

(Adams County)

I'm more of a handgun guy than a rifle one, so I lean heavily towards the revolvers.

But....I'll get a shotgun someday because you can never have too many firearms, and a shotgun is like a crescent wrench--a toolbox isn't complete unless you have it.

camper
    It's the 2nd Amendment that protects all others

(Bucks County)

Do you already own either ? If not I would go with whatever you don't already have. Otherwise I would go for the 12 ga first,ther are more uses for the shotgun I think & it's a better home defense weapond. Just my 2 cents
    Jesus is Lord !

(Montgomery County)

If you are carrying a shotgun and a revolver during small game, and the revolver is larger than legally allowed - you better be carrying it for protection only. Do not take game with it. You are allowed to carry a "firearm" for defensive purposes regardless of it being a legal device to take game. However you must follow the game laws and Title 18 laws.

I carry my .44spl when small game hunting. But I don't take game with it, unless it's a groundhog or yote.
    So, I could carry a 12gauge and .357/.38 while hunting small game, as long as I only use the approruiate firearm on each target?

Would it have to be a .38 only reolved to hunt groundhog, or could you use a revolver that also accepts .357mag?

I've yet to see a ruling as to whether a "Judge" is legal for small game. Technically it is a .45 caliber handgun, not a shotgun regardless of if you have .410 shells in it. A .22 CCI shotshell doesn't make a .22RF handgun or rifle into a shotgun. The law states the caliber of firearm, which the Judge is a .45 caliber handgun.
    Good information.

Quote Originally Posted by camper View Post
    I'm more of a handgun guy than a rifle one, so I lean heavily towards the revolvers.

But....I'll get a shotgun someday because you can never have too many firearms, and a shotgun is like a crescent wrench--a toolbox isn't complete unless you have it.

camper
    Yeah. It's a tough decision.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    Do you already own either ? If not I would go with whatever you don't already have. Otherwise I would go for the 12 ga first,ther are more uses for the shotgun I think & it's a better home defense weapond. Just my 2 cents
    I listed my firearms up top. I think my AR15 will remain my primary HD weapon even if I did own a shotgun. I have very thick walls.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast