Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Kid Friendly Fishing

Hello all,
    I grew up fishing the Texas coast for trout/redfish but have been out of the game since moving to PA 2.5 years ago, and have been mainly sticking to hunting. I want to take my soon to be 5 y.o. son out fishing and I am looking for a decent place to fish from the bank in the Pittsburgh area and surrounding couties (Washington, Beaver, Butler, Westmoreland). I would like to find somewhere that I can hook him up with anything. Pay lake or free does not matter, just something to show him a good time. Any suggestions of places and or bait/lure for some small panfish would be great. I will most likely just bring my curado/all star rod setup that I used to trout fish in the TX bays with and use a little spincast kids combo for him. I don't want anyones honey holes by all means.
    Thanks!

Default Re: Kid Friendly Fishing

There are many small lakes in Westmoreland county (Northmoreland,Mammoth, Upper & Lower Twin, etc) that are stocked with trout and have good populations of panfish and bass. These are "county parks" and most have picnic tables, etc and pretty kid friendly. Crooked Creek Lake here in Armstrong county has no stocked trout, but plenty of panfish and bass, also easy access and a bait shop nearby. If you want more or specific info, feel free to send PM. I'll try to help you the best I can. Good fishin!

(Philadelphia County)

I commend y ou for getting your boy started. Its important we start them young in the outdoor sports.

(Allegheny County)

There is Raccoon Creek Park in Beaver County just outside of Imperial PA. I believe there are still Pay Lakes out in that area also. You can also try Morraine State Park (Butler County I believe) up 79 north, or in Washington County you can try Cross Creek.

(Allegheny County)

NP, what part of Allegheny CO do you live in?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

(Allegheny County)

I live in the south hills. We ended up going to crooked creek but nothing doing there, spent the afternoon at Moraine and the kid caught a few small panfish but spent the rest of the afternoon on the playground. I really did not fish much be he had a good time.

Keep the suggestions going because I know this won't be the only time. I will probably have some weekends to go without the boy as well.

(Allegheny County)

there are a number of good fishing spots in westmoreland. to add to the ones already mentioned, you have the Youghegheny river, the loyalhana creek, Keystone state park, Keystone power dam, Conhemah (spelling?)river. Kiskiminus.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

(Allegheny County)

Since you are in the South Hills, try out Canonsburg Lake in Peters Township area, it's near the intersection of Rt.19 South by McMurray Road.

(Allegheny County)

We fish at North Park Lake. There's all kinds of spots and we always catch fish from the shore. Trout, bluegill, bass and cats. Its a perfect place for youngens to get the hang of fishin.

Zombie Response Team SECTOR 4 Ground assault unit
    "Nothing defuses people like crazy." ~ Lycanthrope

(Allegheny County)

Thanks for all the replies. I will keep updating as the summer progresses. Looking to get the kid on a big un. He has had a blast catching small panfish, but I would like to see what he would do if something pulled the drag a bit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast