Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Do you need to "own" the gun you're carrying?

I just turned 21 and got my carry permit, and my dad gave me his Walther PPK to carry. Is there anything special I have to do to have "ownership" of the gun in order to be able to legally carry it?

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Do you need to "own" the gun you're carrying?

Nope. Even if it wasn't your father who gave/lent you the weapon, you still wouldn't need to be the "owner" of the gun to carry it, so long as you have permission from the owner.

Some police might tell you otherwise ("We ran your serial number, and the gun doesn't belong to you, we're going to confiscate it now..."), but those same officers tend to get sued.
    Any mission, any conditions, any foe at any range.
    Twice the mayhem, triple the force.
    Ten times the action, total hardcore.

(Chester County)

What ^^^^ said. As long as you have a LTCF another person can loan you a firearm.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Wayne County)

Unless you're in Dickson City and they run the numbers on the gun and see that it is "REGISTERED" to someone else and then they cause shit for you as they make up laws and disregard existing ones.

As Pa Patriot says: "ask me how I know"

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by TaurusGuy View Post
    Unless you're in Dickson City and they run the numbers on the gun and see that it is "REGISTERED" to someone else and then they cause shit for you as they make up laws and disregard existing ones.

MUAHAHA!!!!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by TaurusGuy View Post

Doh! [sarcasm] I forgot about the whole registration thing.[/sarcasm]
    Μολὼν λάβε

If I wanted to avoid any possible issues with police, legal or not, how would I go about transferring ownership?

(Berks County)

FFL dealer or Sheriffs department.

(Dauphin County)

I'd talk to your local FFL, I have no idea exactly how the PSP database is populated so I don't know exactly how your info gets sent in, it's a question I've asked here before. Be warned that even if you do get an FFL to do the (unnecessary) transfer paperwork, you're going to have to pay some dough to do it, and it doesn't really have any benefits for anyone but the PSP. Some day they might come looking for the guns on that list, but then, that's more of a doomsday tinfoil hat scenario.

If you want the best of both worlds you should just make sure you inventory it with your insurance company, it should be only about ten to fifteen bucks a year for around a thousand dollar gun, you'll have your serial numbers on file as part of a legal contract, and that's less per year than a lot of FFLs will charge just for a transfer, on top of reimbursing you if your gun is destroyed or stolen. Google gun insurance. The only other thing that you could pay five bucks to a notary to stamp a receipt from your dad. That's dead simple as well.

Also, if you look around the forum, there are at least two threads about people who had weapons confiscated (illegally) by the police, and neither of them had to show proof of ownership when they picked up the weapon. Rights right, so stay right.

But really your gun being confiscated isn't all that likely to happen in the first place unless you start hanging with the wrong crowd(PA Patriot I'm looking at you), so I think maybe you're making unnecessarily work for your self .

/I am not a lawyer, or an FFL, or a pelican for that matter. but I may be a ninja

I've been searching the forums, and I've found some posts that say you don't need to go to a FFL if the gun is being transferred from a parent to a child. I guess that means I'm good as far as that goes then.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast