Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default Issues with Pact timer Company

Hi guys,

Need your advice on how to go about this with Pact timer company.

I bought the MK IV timer complete with the skyscreen, protective bag/pouch (in short their special combo package) several years ago.

I accidentally shot the timer with my airsoft gun (gas powered toy pistol with plastic BBs) on the LCD display. It cracked the LCD but when I power it up the LCD still functions and it still beep on starup which indicate everything is intact except for the display.

So I contacted Pact timer to have it repaired. Told me it would cost $14.95 turn around time would be 3-4 weeks. That was early March 2009. So I called them April still under repair. I called them weekly to follow up and it seems they don't know where my timer is. As though they lost my timer! By May I called them the customer service said it is on its way to me. I was happy!

Its already June my Pact timer is nowhere in sight. I called them suddenly they change stories my timer becomes irrepairable. They told me they don't have the parts and if I want to, I can upgrade to their latest model with additional payment of $150+. Wow! That's a lot of money! To make it worse I have to re-purchase the new skyscreen and all the other bell pop and whistle. I'm not exactly on a buying spree trying to reduce my expense especially things that are non essentials.

Anyway, I like to ask everybody's advice on how to deal with this. They are based in Texas and I'm in PA. I don't want to spend $100-$200 just to upgrade because this old timer has all the feature I ever need. My problem is how can I prove (like to the Better Business Bureau) that my unit is fully functional when I send it in and now Pact timer claim it to be irrepairable.

Appreciate some feedback. TIA

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Issues with Pact timer Company

Not being able to be repaired, does not equate to non functioning.

While they may not be able to repair the screen... it may still work as a timing device, etc.

Ask them to send you back the device. go from there

(Pike County)

Ditto. Irreparable more than likely means that they no longer have the parts to fix it. The person answering the phone probably just assumed (ass-u-me alert) they did. What sucks is that I have the same unit, and a bad habit of shooting my screens ;-> Good to know they aren't stocking the parts anymore, but sorry it had to be you who found out!

--RobW

(Delaware County)

Thanks for the suggestions. Will ask them to send back the unit with the LCD parts. Or at least the specification of the LCD display so I can order it somewhere else. I hope they will refund me the $14.95

All along I thought it would be a simple turnaround repair of my unit didn't expect it to be such a mess.

(Beaver County)

Write to the Texas Attorney General's office, and detail your encounter, and ask their advice. Be sure to include a detailed account of what it will take to satisfy you, and be reasonable.

This almost always gets a reputable company to respond favorably. Even disreputable companies will sometimes respond.
    Kevin Singleton, Potawatomi - {ZRT - Sector 4}

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by kevindsingleton View Post
    Write to the Texas Attorney General's office, and detail your encounter, and ask their advice. Be sure to include a detailed account of what it will take to satisfy you, and be reasonable.

This almost always gets a reputable company to respond favorably. Even disreputable companies will sometimes respond.
    Thank you sir that's a great advice! All I want is my Pact timer to function. I just don't understand what is so hard replacing the LCD display. They can take it from a used unit and just replaced the LCD (even though I prefer a brand new part) still better than putting out $200++ for a new timer.

(Delaware County)

UPDATE 9/3/09

After doing all the pre-legal stuff. Contacting the Texas Attorney General and send formal letter to Pact with return receipt. I called them to just return the timer to me. Since they cash my check (several months ago) for the repair fee I told them at least send me the part so I can just do the repair myself. Its a good thing they send it repaired!

Its one of those things that the company try to "force" me to upgrade to the newer model and telling me my old unit is irrepairable.

Took me six months of waiting since March. All along I thought I'll have it by April, its just a simple LCD display replacement and there was no penetration. Don't understand why they would pull that kind of stunt. I'm really disappointed with Pact Inc.

Next time I would be more careful to buy stuff from Pact. A very simple repair that could've made me very happy turnout to be a nightmare.

Anyway, thanks to you guys for all the suggestions and advise. Couldn't have done it without your help!