Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Savage 10GXP3

(Allegheny County)

Default Savage 10GXP3

I am a new gun owner. But being Russian, I shot Makarov, AK47, and M44 (Mosin-Nagant), and now being American - Rugers.
    I just bought a brand new Savage 10GXP3. I came home, and tried to load it with ammo. Boy! It jammed right there! I loaded 1-2-3-4 - and the 4th one jammed! M44 is much easier to load even with Bulgarian ammo!
    Is it a new 2007 year technology that jams rifles while loading!
    Please, people, let me know it is not true and my thumb does not conform to the Savage standards! I hope it is me! Otherwise, I wasted my money!
    Last edited by dimfil; October 24th, 2007 at 12:04 AM.

(Centre County)

Default Re: Savage 10GXP3

I would try to widthold judgment on the savage for now until you have more time with the gun. I don't want to blame it on user error immediately because I don't know the circumstances or what exactly happened. All I know is that Savages are not expensive guns but from what I've heard, they are known to be excellent shooters and I've never heard anyone complain about jams online, at least until now.

what type of jam was it? can you give us more detail?

(Delaware County)

It isn't clear what kind of jam you are experiencing. Could you provide more detail?

I bought a Savage 10FLP in .223 Remington a few months back and have put about 300 rounds through it so far. I've had three or four "bolt-over-body" jams on feeding, where the bolt fails to catch the cartridge rim and instead drags the round partway up the feed ramp by sheer friction before coming to a halt; but I've never had any kind of jam while loading the magazine.

So far I have mixed feelings about the Savage. On the one hand, the barrel, chamber and trigger are superb: I get much tighter shot groups with it than I do with any of my other guns.

On the other hand, there are some quality-control "issues". The composite stock is seriously warped, with about a 5 degree twist from buttstock to foregrip. The barrel is floating so the warped stock doesn't affect accuracy; but it's a serious cosmetic flaw.

Worse, the scope mounting holes appear to have been drilled off-axis, with the front mounting holes about 0.020" offset to the left. I've tried two different sets of mounts and rings, with the same results both times: the scope points quite visibly off to the left, enough so that it takes up the entire windage adjustment just to zero it.

I've made a temporary fix for the scope alignment problem by using a Dremel tool and a tungsten carbide cutter bit to elongate the mounting holes on the front Weaver mount, allowing me to shove it over a bit; but come January or February, this rifle is going back to Savage for repair or replacement.

I had planned on getting a Savage 10FP with a Choate stock in .308 Win sometime in the coming months; but now I'm not so sure...

(Allegheny County)

Ok, people....
    Here is my other observation...
    After 3 times of shooting on a range, the scope got loose. The bolts were completely loose. Also, the barrel got loose!
    I had to tighten them up, the freaking screws I mean. And that is a new rifle!. Just after 3 days on the range! As the result, I had to waste about 50 rounds to get this scope back! What kind of freaking quality are we talking here????
    When I am loading my Mosin-Nagant, I do not even bother how I load the round! It goes right in, no jams! With Savage.. One has to have a lot of experience to load a round! God dammit! We are talking American quality here are we? Just shut the ... up!

(Allegheny County)

I am withholding my judgement, BTW! Rest my case.

\

(Allegheny County)

And on the second thought, please do not tell me that America won the WW2, Kalashnikov did along with Mosin Nagant.
    Stalingrad rules!

(Tioga County)

I've experienced this type of "jam" and it's due to not getting the shells pushed all the way to the back of the magazine. when loading make sure that the shell is placed so that the head of the case is as far back as it will go and that should solve your problem.