Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Camera memory card help

I was at the last PMSC group shoot and took some pics (probably 20 or so).

Sometime during the shoot, I got a display that said the memory card needed to be formatted.

This is an older Kodak DX3900 digital cam (no instruction book) and has a Lexar 32MB card.

I am almost 100% certain that if I reformat the card, I will lose all the pics.

I tried to download them in the camera specific dock but it is not doing what it should.

Can anyone suggest what I should do to save the pics? Take the card to a camera store? They are nothing special but there are a few half decent group shoot shots.

Any information would be appreciated and yes, a new camera will be had as my family has given this camera to all members and dad gets to finally trash it.

Thanks,

27hand
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: Camera memory card help

Buy one of these http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Shipping is cheap and they are good to have anyways. They read and write to almost any type of card. Actually that website is where you want to get any type of cables/accessories if they have them. Good quality stuff and cheap.

(Montgomery County)

You will definitely lose the pics if you format the card, but like jerkin said, you should try buying a card reader before you do it and see if that works.

Proud member of:

(Lycoming County)

A universal card reader may be what you need. They have them at any photo shop. Dare I say, even Walmart Try one of those "do it yourself" kiosks that you see everywhere. It may be something in the camera and the card may be fine. Good luck.

Be safe.

Scott

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Swarner793 View Post
    A universal card reader may be what you need. They have them at any photo shop. Dare I say, even Walmart Try one of those "do it yourself" kiosks that you see everywhere. It may be something in the camera and the card may be fine. Good luck.

Be safe.

Scott
    I just talked to my daughter who also suggested the kiosk.

I am not a mall or Walmart guy but I'll have to get out and see if I can save the pics.

Thanks for the replies.

27hand
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Somerset County)

If worse comes to worse, get another card, DON'T FORMAT THE ONE THAT"S GIVING YOU FITS!!! I have some software that can retrieve images from FUBARE'D cards. I can see what I could do with it at the next shoot.
    This space open for sponsorship

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tsgtbob View Post
    If worse comes to worse, get another card, DON'T FORMAT THE ONE THAT"S GIVING YOU FITS!!! I have some software that can retrieve images from FUBARE'D cards. I can see what I could do with it at the next shoot.
    Get another card anyway, 32 mb is a very small card, I have a Kodak and it takes a MMC or SD card, mine is 2GB, and it's as small in size as a postage stamp, my very first computer had a hard drive that was only 4GB. I'd go through a lot of batteries before I ever filled the card.

Plus with a USB card reader I can use it in combination with the card to transfer any type of file from one computer to another.

Crucial makes very good cards and readers at reasonable prices.

As mentioned by Bob, don't format the card, I've seen the message before and didn't have to go thru that, I simply put the card in my USB reader and transfered the photo's to my PC.

Good luck,
    Bill

Def get more cards. They can be had relatively cheap if you look around. 32MB is pretty small if your going to a group shoot or someplace your going to take alot of pics. I have 3, 2GB cards that will hold alot of pics..
    "The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil but, because of the people who do nothing about them."
    - Albert Einstein

(Montgomery County)

As others have said, try to salvage before formatting.

To keep the chances of this happening again down, you should be formatting often. I don't know how your workflow is setup, but once you transfer the pictures off the camera (be it via card reader, USB, etc, etc), format the memory card.

Thumbs up Re: Camera memory card help

27hand

Just went to the crucial website I can get a 2GB card for my Kodak for $9.99 that is less than what I paid at best buy about 18 mos ago for a 512 mb . Before have anyone at the Kiosk work on your memory card get a new card first you can use the memory selector at crucial and if necessary buy a card reader at the same time .once the card reader is hooked up you are good to go.

er2006

best of luck, do what we do in Philly vote early and often .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast