Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Warren County)

Default taking a foreign exchange student shooting

I thought I'd throw this up here for comment and see what the general take is. A friend of my nephew whom I've taken shooting on several occasions contacted me in regards to a foreign exchange student his family is hosting over the summer. The kids is from Spain about 16'ish and he would to go shooting. My nephews friend knowing me contacted me with the request.

So that said, what is your take on this as I would like to know what your 2 cents worth are/general consensus.

thanks............
    Last edited by chez323; July 23rd, 2014 at 01:31 PM. Reason: added text
    Tim , USAF Ret.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: taking a foreign exchange student shooting

Ummmmm.......like what?

I wouldnt do it unless there is some third party present, so you can't be accused of molesting him or something. But other than that, have a good time. In today's society, it is not a good idea to be alone with a kid that is not yours, too much of a compromising situation.
    Last edited by free; July 23rd, 2014 at 01:58 PM.

(Butler County)

No reason why not,but make sure the student understands and accepts safe gun handling rules. Before he ever shoulders it with a live round,dry fire practice while you watch and correct any misdeeds firmly. Make sure he knows that any deviation from these rules would cause an immediate stop to the shooting session. The only experience that most kids have with guns is TV and video games. There is no do-over with real ammo!
    And,yeah,it's a good idea to have other experienced adults around. There is also no do-overs when it comes to lawsuits.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by polishprince View Post
    No reason why not,but make sure the student understands and accepts safe gun handling rules. Before he ever shoulders it with a live round,dry fire practice while you watch and correct any misdeeds firmly. Make sure he knows that any deviation from these rules would cause an immediate stop to the shooting session. The only experience that most kids have with guns is TV and video games. There is no do-over with real ammo!
    And,yeah,it's a good idea to have other experienced adults around. There is also no do-overs when it comes to lawsuits.
    First time he shoots live ammo, just put one in the chamber and nothing else in the magazine or adjacent cylinders for the revolver. That way if he has an adverse reaction like dropping the firearm or just turns around and sweeps everyone there is no real danger. Although that would definitely be a time for extra safety and firearms handling skills reinforcement.

Also make sure the host parents are OK with it.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

(Philadelphia County)

I would absolutely do this if a few things are checked.

1. Make sure you get consent from the host family, written if possible, who is basically the ultimate responsible party for the well being of the teenager while he's here. Also, let the host family know that while you are responsible and careful person, you cannot be held liable for any accident at the range. This is essentially the whole "field trip" type of disclaimer/consent.

2. Make sure he understands English enough to follow instructions that you will be providing, especially safety.

3. Make sure YOU are comfortable with instructing someone new to shoot. Many great shooters aren't great instructors (not saying that you are one or the other since I don't know you) and adding that to language differences can be a poor experience altogether for both you and especially the teenager. If you think someone you know can be of a better instructor/guide and that person has time, I'd defer it to him....or at least get some advice on the steps and approach.

If it 1 & 2 are met and you will be taking him, let us know here. I can share some instructional tips if you need some.

I personally love teaching foreign nationals shooting for the first time and hope you end up being able to take him shooting.

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama

I would have no problem doing so.

(Bucks County)

I think its a great idea once you have consent of the host family. It helps our cause when people all over are introduced to guns and shooting sports as a safe hobby and part of our lifestyle here in the US, vs the "guns are only for criminals" mentality portrayed by most media outlets.

Quote Originally Posted by mythaeus View Post
    I personally love teaching foreign nationals shooting for the first time and hope you end up being able to take him shooting.

Al

You do this often?

Now everyone in this thread is on the terrorist watch list.

Thanks.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by mythaeus View Post
    I would absolutely do this if a few things are checked.

1. Make sure you get consent from the host family, written if possible, who is basically the ultimate responsible party for the well being of the teenager while he's here. Also, let the host family know that while you are responsible and careful person, you cannot be held liable for any accident at the range. This is essentially the whole "field trip" type of disclaimer/consent.

2. Make sure he understands English enough to follow instructions that you will be providing, especially safety.

3. Make sure YOU are comfortable with instructing someone new to shoot. Many great shooters aren't great instructors (not saying that you are one or the other since I don't know you) and adding that to language differences can be a poor experience altogether for both you and especially the teenager. If you think someone you know can be of a better instructor/guide and that person has time, I'd defer it to him....or at least get some advice on the steps and approach.

If it 1 & 2 are met and you will be taking him, let us know here. I can share some instructional tips if you need some.

Al
    I took a foreign national shooting for the first time. He was shaking at first, but ended up enjoying it a lot. He was from Massachusetts.

What everyone else said. Plus, make sure you bring some reactive targets. Soda bottles/cans etc. Shooting holes is paper can get boring. I think a new shooter gets a better idea of what is going on when a 2 litter bottle explodes.

ETA:
    Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    Ummmmm.......like what?

I wouldnt do it unless there is some third party present, so you can't be accused of molesting him or something. But other than that, have a good time. In today's society, it is not a good idea to be alone with a kid that is not yours, too much of a compromising situation.
    It's sad that this even has to be brought up. :-(
    Last edited by libra8; July 23rd, 2014 at 03:43 PM.
    "The first time any mans freedom is trodden on we're all damaged."JeanLucPicard

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast