Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default CHL to CHL Handgun Loan Legal Q

I am familiar with the parent+ child, spouse, grandparent+grandchild transfer of firearms in PA, but this falls outside those situations.

A relative of my wife has finalized her divorce and is settling currently the business side of it. She lives alone, and has to travel alone to do much of this including dealing with tenants and being in the same area as the psycho ex-husband.

I have taken her shooting before and she is a decent shot. She does have her PA CHL (or at least applied for it last time we spoke). She does/did not actually own a handgun, but used mine at the range. Her son is/was going to transfer her one of his (via FFL) when he came back to PA.

My question is: Is it legal, and if so please cite the PA code, for me (as a PA CHL holder) to lend (not formally permanently transfer) to her a handgun until she buys her own or gets the one from her son? I thought I once saw something about this, but wasn't sure if it was just for 'sporting purposes' or the like.

I thought I might be able to do a me to wife, wife to her mother, mother to mother's sister, but since there is no sibling transfer it can not legally be done.

At this point a FFL transfer is my only option unless my question above is legal.

Thanks for your advice.

edit: I'm reading 18 Pa.C.S. § 6115: Loans on, or lending or giving firearms prohibited as I type this.
    Last edited by PAOhio; June 29th, 2012 at 06:20 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: CHL to CHL Handgun Loan Legal Q

6115 provides an exemption for persons with a LTCF. So if she has her LTCF, you can lend her a firearm.
    Hafa Adai! IANAL I merely state my opinion. If I am wrong, please correct me.

I might see if we can find a FFL to do a cheap PICS transfer and hope she gives the pistol back after she buys her own. My only worry is the liability that a Edgar Snyder type lawyer might try if, Heaven forbid, she ever has to use it.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by BenP View Post
    6115 provides an exemption for persons with a LTCF. So if she has her LTCF, you can lend her a firearm.
    You're in the clear to loan if she has been issued her LTCF, per:
    Quote Originally Posted by http://reference.pafoa.org/statutes/PA/18/II/G/61/A/6115/loans-on-or-lending-or-giving-firearms-prohibited/
    (b) Exception.--
    (1) Subsection (a) shall not apply if any of the following apply:
    (i) The person who receives the firearm is licensed to carry a firearm under section 6109 (relating to licenses).
    I'm not sure about the legal implications of having to use a loaner firearm though, I'm not a lawyer.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAOhio View Post
    I might see if we can find a FFL to do a cheap PICS transfer and hope she gives the pistol back after she buys her own. My only worry is the liability that a Edgar Snyder type lawyer might try if, Heaven forbid, she ever has to use it.
    It is legal to loan her a firearm if she has her LTCF.
    She has the right to legally defend herself.

If you don't trust her enough that you have to "hope" she gives it back, I wouldn't be lending her one.

It sounds like you are trying to be a good friend and are looking out for her but getting involved with her and her ex's situation by adding your gun into it is your call.

I'd help her buy her own gun or tell her son to get his ass in gear.
    He can ship it to a PA FFL if he can't make the trip.