Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to AR

(Allegheny County)

Default New to AR

I'm looking to get an AR but have no experience. I have heard/read that it is more fun and less expensive to build my own, but again i have no experience. Would i be better off buying factory? Or is it reasonable that i could build my own? If it is reasonable where can i go to figure out what i'm doing??? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks
    Stump

(Bucks County)

Default Re: New to AR

If you go to http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.htm...=636628&page=1 there is a group buy deal going on. You get everything you need except the stripped lower (which you can buy locally for like $175) for $609. I am contemplating it as I already own an AR.

(York County)

J&T distributing is on 8-12 week backorder for kits, but good people to deal with, otherwise. they sell kits from $500 up. a lower will cost you about $175 OTD these days, so your total is about $700. This same gun will sit in a vendor's rack at a show for $1050, lately.

the build takes about an hour, and can be seen on youtube, as well as a bunch of other places. with the kit as provided by J&T you can't get it wrong.

(Allegheny County)

It really depends on what you buy (parts wise) if it will be cheaper than buying a factory one. It usually is more expensive to build one in my mind because of the following:

When most newer people buy a factory AR they get the standard stock AR.

When you decide to build one, while researching places that actually have parts, it's very easy to say "Oh, I think I will add the magpul CTR stock, or I think I want a rail". All parts are incremental increases, so you really don't notice unless you track the prices of everything. When it's all said in done, you usually spend more on the build. Now, with all that said ... you will end up with a nicer rifle. So the absolute cost is more, but the relative cost is less.

btw ... I built an AR. My only experience with one was shooting maybe 20 rds through it. Granted I did have a little help from Lycan with the upper and barrel. If you buy a complete upper, it's very easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Allegheny County)

My first AR was a Bushmaster I bought in the mid 1990s. I sold it as I needed money for college, wife, etc.

Eventually I wanted back into the AR scene and decided to build one. It can be more expensive than buying retail because you can customize an upper from most manufactures and or suppliers. I bought a kit from J&T Distributing and added on some features such as rails which raised the price over a basic upper receiver/barrel combo.

The link posted to AR15.com is an excellent deal and since AR15 lowers have come down in price now that the "panic" is beginning to subside you can buy a stripped lower and build off of that.

The main tools needed to build are a set of roll pin punches, a hammer, and directions. Go http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782 here for good directions on how to assemble the lower.

If you bought the kit in the link above and follow the directions in the link I posted you should have an operating rifle in no time. It is very simple and you learn the intricacies of the AR parts while doing it.

Of course there is nothing wrong with buying a factory rifle and their prices are coming down as well. AR15.com has plenty of info and there are a ton of people there to ask. CMMG used to sell no frills M4 type ARs for around $600.00 but I haven't seen those since early 2008.

One thing I will mention is that IMHO it is better to start out with a basic carbine or rifle than to add on things like rails, vertical grips, etc. until you know the rifle. These accessories cost money up front and you may not like them; and since there are so damn many out there can muddy the waters so to speak. Learn the basic rifle and then begin to try various accessories. If you don't like the accessories you can always sell them later and buy something else. The AR is very customizable and allows you to add/remove features at will.
    Run

(Northumberland County)

when it comes to building an AR i have no patience.... i aint gonna sit and wait weeks for the parts to come in when i can go out and buy everything in the same day.... BUY A BUSHMASTER!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by pikastump View Post
    I'm looking to get an AR but have no experience. I have heard/read that it is more fun and less expensive to build my own, but again i have no experience. Would i be better off buying factory? Or is it reasonable that i could build my own? If it is reasonable where can i go to figure out what i'm doing??? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks
    Stump
    Stump,
    Welcome to the forum.

Asking questions is a good start. At the bottom, I'll add some links to some old threads that a bunch of us "locals" used to learn how to do some AR building.

The hardest part about building one at the moment is finding parts. Many companies are months behind so keep that in mind when you start looking around.

If you do a total build(nothing pre-assembled)it will require a little more work, and a few inexpensive tools specific to the task.
    If you do a build from a kit, it's a bit more simplified because the kit will contain an assembled upper(barrel/handguard/gas block/sight/etc), a butt stock/buffer tube, grip, and most of the time a lower parts kit(LPK - trigger group/pins/springs). All you need to add is a stripped(no trigger 'n stuff)lower, put the remaining parts inside, and slap the already assembled upper unto the now assembled lower.

The way the prices have gone up, I'm not sure how much you'd save by doing a build, but when I built mine about 2 years ago, I spent $576(10% off sale)on a kit from Rock River Arms and $99 on a stripped lower. I guess I saved about $250-$500 over buying off the shelf(depending on what brand).

Take a look at these threads and if you can, join us at a group shoot(second Sun of every month - Pitcairn Monroeville Sportsmen's Club) where you can look at the rifles in person and ask questions!

http://forum.pafoa.org/rifles-42/113...-ar-build.html

http://forum.pafoa.org/allegheny-27/...-ar-build.html

Current group shoot thread:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/shoots-range-...hoot-28-a.html
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Get an AR! Build an AR!

Even the girls on this forum have them.

You can give mine a go at a group shoot! If you don't mind a girls AR, which is much less evil than any of the boy's AR's.
    Last edited by Michele; May 21st, 2009 at 12:32 AM.

(Blair County)

Even now you can build one for $650 in less than a month (at least you could last month). Essential arms has lowers for sale (you have to call) and they are nice lowers that are shipping within 2 weeks of ordering for around $114 with shipping. M&A Parts has been shipping kits (everything but a striped lower) within 1-5 weeks and they start at $5oo plus shipping. The only AR specific tool that I recommend (if you are using a carbine stock) is either a stock wrench or an armorers tool (a stock wrench plus a lot more) that can be had for less than $30.

(Philadelphia County)

What is your price range?

I personally hate waiting, and to sit and wait weeks or months for parts just to put your first AR together and shoot would be an real bummer.

Don't be intimidated by building one, they are pretty easy.
    But I suggest buying your first, shoot it, get to know it, take it apart and put it back together.. And then you will have no problem building one.
    That is what I did anyway.
    ZRT -SECTOR-7
    "If you do not stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them" - Unknown
    "Incoming fire has the right of way" - Murphy's Military Laws
    "Fast is fine, accuracy is final" - Larry Vickers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast