Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    West Side of river from Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)

Default UPDATE Luzerne county courthouse not following law

I had to go to the courthouse annex yesterday to retrieve my signed form 1 from the sheriff. The annex is across the street from the courthouse proper.

There was a sign on the front door saying something about "entering the building with a weapon would result in immediate arrest"....

Being unarmed(to avoid the hassle of locking up at security) I went in and thru the security checkpoint. The lone security guy was in the process of wanding some guy. The guy pulled his jacket back to help the process when the deputy chastised him for doing so. He said something to the effect of :don't do that, it makes me nervous when people reach for things like that" This was a big lunk of a deputy with a big loud commanding voice and an air of arrogance.

After I went thru, I asked "aren't there supposed to be lockers for weapons"?

He immediately bellowed, "Only officers of the law are allowed to bring in weapons". I really didn't want to deal with him at that time so I went on my business and left. I should have taken a picture of the sign, but I didn't.

Now, are they breaking the law? No lockers!!! Maybe the sign said in small print to go across the street to the courthouse to lock up firearms... I didn't notice.

This building has courtrooms in it.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by forby; February 17th, 2011 at 04:37 PM.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Luzerne county courthouse not following law

Print out the portion of the UFA that applies to court houses and show it to the sheriff.

(York County)

You should follow up with the Sheriff, it appears that they are in violation...

18 Pa.C.S. § 913: Possession of firearm or other dangerous weapon in court facility

(d) Posting of notice.--Notice of the provisions of subsections (a) and (e) shall be posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each courthouse or other building containing a court facility and each court facility, and no person shall be convicted of an offense under subsection (a)(1) with respect to a court facility if the notice was not so posted at each public entrance to the courthouse or other building containing a court facility and at the court facility unless the person had actual notice of the provisions of subsection (a).
    (e) Facilities for checking firearms or other dangerous weapons.--Each county shall make available at or within the building containing a court facility by July 1, 2002, lockers or similar facilities at no charge or cost for the temporary checking of firearms by persons carrying firearms under section 6106(b) or 6109 or for the checking of other dangerous weapons that are not otherwise prohibited by law. Any individual checking a firearm, dangerous weapon or an item deemed to be a dangerous weapon at a court facility must be issued a receipt. Notice of the location of the facility shall be posted as required under subsection (d).

*Emphasis added by me. Quote taken from here... http://reference.pafoa.org/statutes/...ourt-facility/

ETA: York County has 2 court facilities within 2 adjacent blocks, easy walking distance (as in: leave one court, walk 1/2 block down the street, turn left and walk 1/2 block to 2nd facility) and there are checkpoints and lockers at both facilities, as should be the case in accordance with state law.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; January 20th, 2011 at 02:21 PM.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Lackawanna County)

The other option is to walk in with your weapon, ask for a locker for it, wait for them to toss you on the ground and slap the cuffs on you. Call your lawyer and file a lawsuit all in the same day . . . . Obviously education should be the first route taken and not what I just said to do. . . . .

Rob

(Westmoreland County)

I don't think the sheriff can do anything here. Talk to the court administrator's office. If this building has only magesterial district courts then I believe you want to talk to the special courts administrator's office.

(Luzerne County)

Are you surprised? It's Luzerne County !!!

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by RBELARDI View Post
    The other option is to walk in with your weapon, ask for a locker for it, wait for them to toss you on the ground and slap the cuffs on you. Call your lawyer and file a lawsuit all in the same day . . . . Obviously education should be the first route taken and not what I just said to do. . . . .

Rob
    I consider what you said to do, to be an education.

(Luzerne County)

I do believe that there are several threads here about how people on this board have used lockers at the Luzerne county court house.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by nailer View Post
    Are you surprised? It's Luzerne County !!!
    Oh, I get it. You have to pay them to secure your firearm

Be safe (and tip well).

Scott

(Lehigh County)

I think Luzerne County has well and truly established it's opinion on citizens: They don't give a shit about Rights or due process.
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but believe me, it's on the damned list.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast