Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default NRA Instructor Workshop - Easton PA

NRA Instructor Training - Basic Pistol/Home Firearms Safety

Easton, PA
    Dates: July 18/19, 2009 (Saturday & Sunday)
    Time: 8-6 each day (20 hour course)
    Cost: $350
    Questions: training@jsholsters.com - Phone (484) 544-0080
    Course Registration Requests: coursereg@jsholsters.com

$100 deposit required by June 10, 2009. Please email coursereg@jsholsters.com to request a seat in the course and follow up with a deposit (payable to Michael Scharf) mailed to

Trish Schafer
    attn: NRAIT 0709
    1700 Sullivan Trail #385
    Easton, PA 18040

This is a benefit course for "Michael Scharf" who was recently diagnosed with a recurring form of skin cancer. He has started his treatments but has incurred substantial medical costs. Course deposits can be made payable to "Michael Scharf" as well as the payment for the balance due at the beginning of the instructor workshop.

Mike will be on hand for a portion of the workshop to say "Thank you" for those participating in this training evolution. Michael has been a Godsend to our holster and apparel operation and a great friend.

If you have been contemplating the process to become an NRA Instructor this is a perfect opportunity to meet that objective and provide assistance to one of our own.

If you are unable to attend the course but would like to make a donation of any amount please forward a check to the address above with a note.

We look forward to seeing everyone in July!

Default Re: NRA Instructor Workshop - Easton PA

Certainly seems like a worthy cause, and anyone who's thought about taking such a course would be well served by Jason, who I've known for maybe 10 years; and you couldn't pick a better time to spend the money than now, since it's going to help out someone in our brotherhood of guncraft.

(Pike County)

I sent you a per. message if you can please get back to me
    thank you gunfixer

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by gunfixer View Post
    I sent you a per. message if you can please get back to me
    thank you gunfixer
    Your email account bounced the message back that I replied to, can you send a note from another address? Send to training@jsholsters.com

Take care,

Jason
    I may be out of the Marine Corps but the Marine Corps is in me for life.

(Northampton County)

I'm getting plenty of email, but I will look into the phone number.

We also work through lunch, many past participants will attest to the fact that I've been known to have lunch brought in for everyone.

Basic Instructor Training: 6 hours
    NRA Basic Pistol Instructor Training: 11 hours
    NRA HFS Instructor Training: 5 hours standalone, 3 hours when combined with other disciplines

You are incorrect (thank you Pacer), I am within NRA Guidelines.

PLEASE, contact the NRA Training Department and ask that they look into the courses that I offer. I'm a Senior Training Counselor and urge everyone involved with NRA Training to help self regulate.

Also, you do not need separate training time for First Steps. First Steps is a scaled down version of the parent discipline.

It sounds like you may want to come back for a refresher course. If you are a certified instructor, you are welcome to sit in on the course ratings that you already have at no charge. You are welcome to invite your training counselor too. I am certified to train them as well.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by barcode View Post
    I called the number it didnt work i emailed you and it didnt work this is a bad ad and not to mention you cannot become an NRA basic pistol instructor in 2 10 hour classes unless you dont plan on having time for lunch let alone basic pistol and home firearms saftey i am reporting this person to the NRA and i know they will take action

To become an instructor you must have basic instructor training plus what ever dicipline you choose so as an example to become a basic pistol instructor and a home firearms saftey instructor you would need 6 hours of basic instructor training 10 hours of basic pistol 3 hours of pistol first steps 4 hours of home firearms saftey and 1 hour of orientation not to mention time to get settled in the class and fill out the registration form and to pay the remaining fee for the class and a short introduction period these are the requirements of the NRA Anything less does not meet the NRA's requirements and you are not taking a legitimate course and can have your credentials pulled by the NRA

Course Descriptions:
    Basic Instructor Training: 6 hours.
    Basic Rifle: 14 hours. FIRST STEPS Rifle: 3+ hour orientation.
    Basic Pistol: 10 hours. FIRST STEPS Pistol: 3+ hour orientation.
    Basic Shotgun: 10 hours. FIRST STEPS Shotgun: 3+ hour orientation.
    Personal Protection in the Home: 8 hours.
    Personal Protection Outside of the Home: 14 hours.
    Home Firearm Safety: 4 hours.
    Muzzleloader Training for rifle (12 hours), pistol (12 hours), or shotgun (10 hours).
    Range Safety Officer: 9 hours.
    Metallic Cartridge Reloading: 8 hours.
    Shotgun Cartridge Reloading: 8 hours.
    Last edited by js1050; May 27th, 2009 at 11:35 PM.

(Luzerne County)

I called the number it didnt work i emailed you and it didnt work this is a bad ad and not to mention you cannot become an NRA basic pistol instructor in 2 10 hour classes unless you dont plan on having time for lunch let alone basic pistol and home firearms saftey i am reporting this person to the NRA and i know they will take action

To become an instructor you must have basic instructor training plus what ever dicipline you choose so as an example to become a basic pistol instructor and a home firearms saftey instructor you would need 6 hours of basic instructor training 10 hours of basic pistol 3 hours of pistol first steps 4 hours of home firearms saftey and 1 hour of orientation not to mention time to get settled in the class and fill out the registration form and to pay the remaining fee for the class and a short introduction period these are the requirements of the NRA Anything less does not meet the NRA's requirements and you are not taking a legitimate course and can have your credentials pulled by the NRA

Course Descriptions:
    Muzzleloader Training for rifle (12 hours), pistol (12 hours), or shotgun (10 hours).
    Um...I think you are being a little harsh.....REALLY. First of all, I know the OP and he wouldn't do anything to jeopardize someone's certification.....or his own. I mean come on, I understand you haven't been around very long but sending a PM or writing a nicer post would've been the better way to handle it. NOT talking about turning someone into the NRA. Just ridiculous... I see he has already responded that he was going to fix an ERROR in his post....so all is good correct?

PROUD WIFE OF PA. PATRIOT
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms..disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. "-Thomas Jefferson

(Bucks County)

Actually, JS, your ad is fine.

Just checked my Training Counselor manual (since it is out for other courses I am doing currently) and HFS is '5 hours stand alone' or (3) hours if the material is covered in a concomitant discipline training. IE, you only need to review the course outlines, and add rifle/shotgun...

But you know that, since I took my TC training from you and Mack.

Pacer

(Northampton County)

Thanks. Actually, I didn't recall that but it makes sense since I have traditionally taught BIT/BP/HFS in 20 hours.

As we both know, the "recommended" training times are minimums. As students and candidates learn at different paces, some folks need a little extra time. And redundancy never hurts...

I will return the posting to 20 hours and learn my lesson: verify by leveraging my TC Guide instead of taking the word of someone who claims expertise.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer View Post
    Actually, JS, your ad is fine.

Just checked my Training Counselor manual (since it is out for other courses I am doing currently) and HFS is '5 hours stand alone' or (3) hours if the material is covered in a concomitant discipline training. IE, you only need to review the course outlines, and add rifle/shotgun...

But you know that, since I took my TC training from you and Mack.

Pacer
    Last edited by js1050; May 27th, 2009 at 11:23 PM.

(Luzerne County)

Course Descriptions:
    All of this over a misunderstanding on your part. Which even when you didn't know your error should have gave Jason the benefit of the doubt that it was a typo or oversight.

You could have simply pointed out the perceived discrepancy/error with the hours. Jumping to conclusions and accusing Jason of being a fraud and not following NRA procedure over either his typo or your error is totally unacceptable.

Do NOT let it happen again

For anyone reading this thread I can personally vouch for Jason. He is my training counselor and he does things by the book.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

Everyone was correct where i was a little harsh in my posting i am just very strict about following the requiremets of the NRA to a T I was wrong in posting this publicly instead of sending a private message and for that i am sorry i am removing my previous post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast