Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Detroit Police harass legal gun owners at 'Gun Buyback'**Video Added**

link here

Detroit police harassed legal gun owners at yesterday’s so-called “gun buyback” while ignoring other obvious felonies at the “No questions asked” event.

The event, held at the Second Ebenezer Church, offered $25 for non-working firearms, $50 for functional firearms, and $100 for “assault weapons.” Continental management donated the money and the Detroit Police Department ran the event.

The Detroit Police Department advertised that guns could be turned in with “No questions asked." As I wrote in yesterday’s article, Sell your stolen gun to the Detroit Police Department, this created an opportunity for criminals to dispose of guns used in crime without fear of the guns being used as evidence against them. At least one person was seen brining an illegal sawed-off shotgun into the event.

Doug Holloway, a local RKBA activist, organized a small group of gun owners who showed up at the event to offer to pay higher prices for legal guns than what the organizers of the “gun buyback” were willing to pay.

One person took Holloway up on his offer and sold him a Hi Point carbine, with soft case, for $160. “The seller said he was a police officer,” Holloway said. “He said he’d bought it at a gun show three years ago and decided he didn’t need it.”

No sooner had Holloway completed the private sale, which is legal under Michigan law, than several Detroit Police officers swooped in and started questioning Holloway’s group.

“The officer’s lack of professionalism was disturbing,” Holloway said. “Here they are harassing me, and meanwhile people with sawed-off shotguns walking in through the door are given complete amnesty.”

The exchange between Holloway and a Detroit Police Sergeant was recorded on video by several of the people present. In one video the Sergeant tells them that buying guns on private property is illegal, refuses to clarify if they are being detained or are free to leave, and several times tells people to “shut up” or “shut your trap.” After approximately 13 minutes the Sergeant finishes collecting their information and orders them to leave the property. (Watch one of the videos at the sidebar on the left).

Meanwhile, another local RKBA activist, Rick Ector, owner of Rick’s Firearm Academy of Detroit, was handing out literature explaining that so-called “gun buy-back programs” have no measurable effect on crime rates.

“It’s not going to change anything, and no criminals are turning in their firearms,” Ector said in a Fox 2 News interview. “Bad guys are still armed, and it’s going to make everyone else less safe because they’re not going to have any.”

The Detroit News reported that more than 300 guns were surrendered to the police at the event. The Detroit Police Department has said the guns will be destroyed.
    Boded is mine. A lot of people on here have talked about doing this before. Well, here's your precedent. Just don't forget to bring a voice recorder.
    Last edited by Justin; December 19th, 2010 at 03:29 PM.
    Sec. 21. The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

Sec. 25. To guard against transgressions of the high powers which we have delegated, we declare that everything in this article is excepted out of the general powers of government and shall forever remain inviolate.

(Venango County)

Default Re: Detroit Police harass legal gun owners at 'Gun Buyback'

Glad to see some people are out there, and saving some of these from becoming lamp posts.
    I'm so fast, I can bump fire a bolt action.

(Lackawanna County)

What an asshole.

(Allegheny County)

I almost forgot to put the video up, which was linked in the article

Warning: Following video is likely to induce rage towards the jackbooted thugs featured in it. Particularly around and after the 3 minute mark.

Here it is:

Sec. 21. The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

Sec. 25. To guard against transgressions of the high powers which we have delegated, we declare that everything in this article is excepted out of the general powers of government and shall forever remain inviolate.

(Allegheny County)

People here on this very forum have and will continue to defend these scams on the public. They claim (as do the antis running/supporting them) that the mission of getting guns out of the hands of those who "don't want them" or "don't know how to safely handle them" is a noble one.

If that were the only goal, then there are much more effective (and less deceitful) ways to entice people to rid their homes of said weapons... TELL THEM HOW MUCH THEY CAN TRULY GET FOR THEM!!! ENCOURAGE them to go to the gun shop and SELL IT if they don't WANT it.
    Do you think that the "caring" people who run these "buybacks" are interested in helping the people? If so, why not supply flyers to churches, community centers, convenience stores explaining how they could make some "real" money by selling "unwanted" guns?

I give the pro-gun people in that article a lot of credit. That whole "buyback" thing is a political tool, and those running it do NOT like that sort of attention. How convenient that they have POLICE to help them with their agenda and dispose of the "trouble makers".

(puke)
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Delaware County)

"How about you shut your mouth, I'm not talking to you."

Well, I'm talking to you, dickhead. And watch your fucking attitude while you're at it, you jackbooted, egotistical, power-tripping pathetic excuse for a civil servant. Fuck you.

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    People here on this very forum have and will continue to defend these scams on the public. They claim (as do the antis running/supporting them) that the mission of getting guns out of the hands of those who "don't want them" or "don't know how to safely handle them" is a noble one.
    I'd like to know why the police can do it and be considered noble and safety-minded, but when we try to do it (and provide a great incentive to those we're buying from), we're disrespected, treated like criminals and regarded like the scum of the Earth.
    Last edited by ViperGTS19801; December 19th, 2010 at 03:37 PM.
    Junior

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Detroit Police harass legal gun owners at 'Gun Buyback'**Video Added**

And cops wonder why they are hated

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Detroit Police harass legal gun owners at 'Gun Buyback'**Video Added**

I fail to understand why gun owners as a group are so adamant about their second amendment rights, yet ignore their fourth and fifth amendment rights. Every citizen should be well versed on all of their rights, gun owners should be acutely more aware of these. I know, the education system is to blame being that it is mostly government funded etcetera, yet it serves their purposes.

What you see in the video is typical "I am in charge and I will show you that I am" bullshit. This is ghetto street corner shit that the police do on a regular basis to show their subjects that they are tougher, louder and in control.

I do not know why anyone complied with the request to provide identification.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Delaware County)

That was bothering me, too. I just wanted to wait for someone more eloquent than myself to say it.

Why did they show ID? Why did they allow themselves to be talked to like they were trash? That bothers me just as much as the cops being assmunches about the whole thing.
    Junior

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    I fail to understand why gun owners as a group are so adamant about their second amendment rights, yet ignore their fourth and fifth amendment rights. Every citizen should be well versed on all of their rights, gun owners should be acutely more aware of these. I know, the education system is to blame being that it is mostly government funded etcetera, yet it serves their purposes.

What you see in the video is typical "I am in charge and I will show you that I am" bullshit. This is ghetto street corner shit that the police do on a regular basis to show their subjects that they are tougher, louder and in control.

I do not know why anyone complied with the request to provide identification.
    Wow, as much as these cops made me want to puke, I must say that the gun buyers did not impress me too much with their lake of fundamental knowledge of rights.

If you're gonna go to a place like this and video it and be poised to engage in conflict (obvious it was gonna happen) then for GOD's sake, be mentally PREPARED!!

That video got my blood boiling on many levels....geez!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mK2JYfZAmA When will America become America?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast