Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Addicting another one (pics added!)

Earlier on today, I got a call from my friend, Retired One, asking me if I was busy. Of course, I am always busy, but I am one of those people who can make mid course changes, especially if it involves range trips. I asked him what he had in mind. He had his grandson with him, and was planning on going over to Guthsville to introduce the lad to pistols. Since Mondays are administrative days for my business, I was all too happy to oblige. I made my weekly run to the PO and the bank, and headed off to the range with a small handful of guns for the boy (and his grandfather) to try out. Grandpa has been thinking of a Colt Commander like mine, so I made sure I brought it along for him to try out.

We all congregated at the plinking range. The young man was given a short course in firearms safety (he already had some experience with shotguns), and it was time to shoot. We started him off with the Colt wearing a Marvel .22 LR conversion. It was a little finicky at first, but with a little lube, it ran just fine. I had brought along my can, and his grin just got wider when he saw it. He ran some rounds through that, and then it was on to the Ruger SR-22. I love this gun. It eats bulk load rounds like they are going out of style, and virtually never has any kind of hangup. When I opened the case, his grin just got wider. I think if he grinned any wider, the top half of his head would have just fallen right off.

After shooting that for a while, Grandpa handed him a S&W 9mm. For a neophyte, he did extremely well with it. Then it was on to shoot a S&W 17 with an 8 3/8" barrel and a 4X scope. For the grand finale, we converted the Colt back to .45 ACP and let him bang away with that. His grin (believe it or not) got even wider. I love taking new people shooting. Watching someone else shoot a gun is almost as much fun as shooting it myself, and in cases like this, even more fun.

ETA: I got permission to add some pictures of the day. I don't have many, one still and one video, but here they are.

Here is the lad preparing to shoot a Smith and Wesson 17 .22 LR revolver, complete with scope. In the background is a suppressed Ruger SR-22 that he had been shooting just a little while ago.

For the grand finale, we handed him a Colt Commander (lightweight) and let him run through a magazine. This is a video. Click on it to get it to play.

Last edited by PennsyPlinker; December 5th, 2010 at 09:09 PM.

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Addicting another one

Quote Originally Posted by PennsyPlinker View Post
    Watching someone else shoot a gun is almost as much fun as shooting it myself, and in cases like this, even more fun.
    I know exactly how you feel. I have a few friends who were die hard antis... A few trips to the range changed that. Last time we went I took two buddies, both of which had zero firearms experience. We shot 200 rounds of .40S&W, 350 rounds of 9mm, and 1100 rounds of .22. I might have shot 25 rounds of each caliber. I loaded mags all day, and didn't mind one bit, because I was dispelling all the wrong ideas in their heads about guns, while showing them a GREAT time.

Providing people with a positive shooting experience is something I love doing, perhaps even more than shooting myself. Now if only I could find a way to do that for a living...
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Northampton County)

Great story...when I watch my wife shoot it's better then me shooting.

Sinking Spring/Wernersville, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by JEC_PA View Post
    Great story...when I watch my wife shoot it's better then me shooting.
    My wife has asked me about going to the range but I am a horrible shot (fairly new to shooting) so I am not certain I can teach her. I should take her to see if she is a better shot and then she can teach me lol
    Last edited by acosenza2; November 30th, 2010 at 01:20 PM.
    "Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - JOHN ADAMS, 2nd President of the United States of America

Default Re: Addicting another one (pics added!)

Pics now in the OP.

It does feel right doesn't it? I've had the pleasure of introducing a few people over the years, the latest one this week. A friend of my daughters (I have three in the same age group, 21,20,19) who expressed an interest. So on a rainy, windy day we went and gave it a go. She didn't do very well and was a bit absent minded about safety but that's why we are there, to keep things safe. She is now interested in purchasing a firearm but needs a few more months to hit 21. I'll get her out as best I can and have instructed her to get over to Classic Pistol before then and take the FIRST course. Gotta get the safety part into her head....it's the only thing that has me bothered. She wasn't flat out dangerous but bad habits, well you folks know the result of bad habits. Once I get her past those and hitting targets with cosistancy I'll push her towards a LTCF. My oldest has her's and I think this one wants to catch up. Heehee, got my own little arms race going on here.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

(Westmoreland County)

Good stuff! Kudos! I've introduced shooting to my wife, some friends, my young nephew, and also my mother... it's as rewarding to me as it is fun for them.