Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default corbon powerball?

has anyone here personally used corbon powerball ammo? if so, what did you think of it?thanks in advance to all replies.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: corbon powerball?

I carry them in my P3at. They feed well through it even though they are a little pricey.
    No longer posting

I don't like, 'heavy recoil' in a combat pistol. The older I get the more I like standard velocity pistol ammo that I can use to get off two or more accurate shots within the same amount of time that it takes to fire a + P bullet AND then have to manage the recoil and front sight dwell time while I'm waiting to line up the next shot.

Granted, this is not important if your idea of combat is to only fire once. However, the use of, 'hot loads' becomes more critical if you tend to double and triple tap everything the way I like to.

(Chester County)

I've used them in 9mm, .40, and .45.

Uniformly very snappy, loud bang, big flash. The loads were consistent in terms of precision, but didn't hit to POA on any of my guns. Feeding was excellent, but the polymer ball tended to get chewed up after a couple of load/unload cycles.

I carried them for awhile, but stopped, simply because the recoil and POA was too different from my practice ammo.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Delaware County)

I carry them in my SP101 2.25" .357 magnum. They hit on target as good as any other .357 round I've used. I like the theory that the ball helps the round to expand better upon impact.

I hope I never find out if they really work, ya know what I mean?

(Pike County)

I use them for my carry loads in .380, 9mm, .40 and .45acp.
    Never had a problem hitting with them. The bullet weights are a bit lighter than most standard loads. I have also never conducted balistic tests with them.
    The thing I believe in with them is that they have been 100% reliable. That big ball in the front feeds through everything I have put them in.
    All other things aside, if it don't go bang it's of no use.
    Good luck trying to find them right now, I have seen 3 boxes in a store in the last 6 months.

(York County)

The only downside I have seen, like with many jacketed hollow-points, the jacket and lead slug tend to come apart a little too easily...

...like the one I pullled from my wife's china cabinet.

Remington Golden Saber are awesome and don't readily come apart during certain in-home ballistics testing.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(York County)

I carry them in my .40. My step-father does also in 9mm, .40 and .45. He has shot about 20 of them:

1. Had one failure to feed in a G19 due to nose smushing in.

2. Fired into logs resulted in several not expanding what-so-ever, with a nose full of wood.

3. Fired through several newspapers into milk jugs filled with water resulted in perfect expansion and they stopped in the first jug.

What does this have to do with anything, failure to feed was likely a fluke IMO. The non expanding, wood is not flesh. Milk jug showed great expansion and did not over-penetrate.

Hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    I carry them in my SP101 2.25" .357 magnum. They hit on target as good as any other .357 round I've used. I like the theory that the ball helps the round to expand better upon impact.

I hope I never find out if they really work, ya know what I mean?

They also have a slight edge when loading from a speed loader, aligning a tad faster.

Rick

York City Pharmaceutical District, Pennsylvania
    (York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    The only downside I have seen, like with many jacketed hollow-points, the jacket and lead slug tend to come apart a little too easily...
    Curmudgeon and I just shot a few of these at water bottles. In .45ACP the bullet was 165gr 1600FPS!!! The bottle was destroyed. The recovered bullet was very light and was flat like it had a train run over it. I didn't have +P Golden Sabers, but I did have 230gr Golden Sabers and they are probably 230gr after being fired. I will actually weigh them both when I get the next chance. The difference is the PowerRBall shattering through the target, versus the expanding brass jacketed Golden Saber.

Is the PowerRBall explosive debris of copper worse than the solid slug?

Weight retention vs. explosion ?

Quote Originally Posted by paemt View Post
    and did not over-penetrate.
    I think I would put it close (on my own unofficial list) to frangible bullets. The bullet is basically destroyed on impact as long as the tip doesn't clog.

I think because they are lighter bullets with +p loads, and they explode like a frangible they won't over pentrate.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast