Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Indiana County)

Default So uh... Just how well do these character references have to know you?

Because I'm having a;,pst zero luck with anyone I know.

If I haven't mentioned this before, I'm from New York. Everyone I ask from back home responds to the question like I'm a leper, and then I stop hearing from them.

And these are people who I've known since we were babies running around naked on the beach!

I only have a few passing acquaintances from here in PA, though I've already found one who was happy to vouch for me, and I'm hesitant to ask anyone else, because they don't know me beyond about "His name is Rick, he's a tall, heavyset fellow, and occasionally tells horrible jokes that make everyone groan."

What exactly are they looking for in a character witness, is what I'm trying to get at, I guess. I've got an outgoing hardcore lesbian feminist folk singer for my first one (How she and I manage to be friends I don't know...) but the majority of people I know are typical college students. I'd ask a professor, but the only one I ever was friendly enough with to pop a question like that to... disappeared. Gone from teaching, off Facebook, no forwarding address, etc.

Blah. I'm just frustrated at my unfruitful search.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: So uh... Just how well do these character references have to know you?

They need to know you and are willing to vouch for you.

Now with that in mind.Your Name is important? Do not have the police call your reference and they say "Joe Who?"Co-worker, high school or college friend, neighbor you have not ticked off by playing your loud Yanni Music..etc....
    And most important, make sure they are not ANTI GUN...It might not be in your best intrest.

Then again, they may never call.
    Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and proceed to beat you with experience.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: So uh... Just how well do these character references have to know you?

Quote Originally Posted by Aran View Post
    Because I'm having a;,pst zero luck with anyone I know.

If I haven't mentioned this before, I'm from New York. Everyone I ask from back home responds to the question like I'm a leper, and then I stop hearing from them.

And these are people who I've known since we were babies running around naked on the beach!

I only have a few passing acquaintances from here in PA, though I've already found one who was happy to vouch for me, and I'm hesitant to ask anyone else, because they don't know me beyond about "His name is Rick, he's a tall, heavyset fellow, and occasionally tells horrible jokes that make everyone groan."

What exactly are they looking for in a character witness, is what I'm trying to get at, I guess. I've got an outgoing hardcore lesbian feminist folk singer for my first one (How she and I manage to be friends I don't know...) but the majority of people I know are typical college students. I'd ask a professor, but the only one I ever was friendly enough with to pop a question like that to... disappeared. Gone from teaching, off Facebook, no forwarding address, etc.

Blah. I'm just frustrated at my unfruitful search.
    You have no friends near where you live?

Are you a terrorist or somethin? Just kidding.

Each county is going to be different in what it is looking for. In theory, the only reason you need the references at all is that if you can't find two people willing to say you've never demonstrated violent tendencies, well, maybe there's a problem. I'd either call the local "chief law enforcement officer" and ask, or just submit any two references who've known you at least long enough for you to ask them to fill out the form. There's no law I ever saw that says they have to know you X amount of time.

As another thought, don't you know anyone at your local range? They're pro gun and if you've never shot at them can vouch that you're not a danger handling guns.

(Philadelphia County)

The whole reference thing is a giant load. Go to a group shoot and make friends with someone.

(Allegheny County)

I am assuming they are asking in PA.

They never called mine, and after I had already submitted the form I remembered the one guy had a record. So I asked at the sheriffs office if they do background checks on the references and if it would matter. The lady said no they dont, and also implied that they dont do any follow up on it. But thats here in Alleghany county, if your sherriff is a real A he may be all into doing everything possible to stop your permit.

(Perry County)

Perry County sherriff called both my references.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by Philadelphia View Post
    You have no friends near where you live?

Are you a terrorist or somethin? Just kidding.
    Nah, I just keep to myself a lot. I basically have my fiancee, the one friend who was willing to vouch for me, and a few casual acquaintances I've barely talked to in the year and a half I've been here.

As for at the range, I only go to the SGL range here in Indiana, and I'm usually there at 8-9AM and alone.

I really should get around to making some friends one of these days, but friendly relationships are just too much maintenance to keep up. :P That's what the internet is for!

Ah well, I guess I'll just ask the acquaintances then. Or... one of my relatives here in PA who doesn't share my last name...

(Philadelphia County)

your fiancee is a legitimate reference. It says no family members...you're not married yet.

(Snyder County)

I agree. I used my fiancee when I got mine with no problems. I just told her that if they asked to say we were friends....just really, really, good friends.

And you said you have another friend that would vouch for you....so there are your two.

(Northampton County)

They didn't even call the references in Northampton County, PA

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast