Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Equipment Advice for a first timer

Pro 2000 Progressive vs. RCBS Turret Deluxe Reloading Kit from Cabelas

I have never reloaded, I have done some research but realistically don't know nearly enough to make the decision. Firstly I was going to buy the Hornady Reloading Manual as I figure learning before acting would help. I was looking for a kit that I could get to avoid getting the equipment one piece at a time. I don't need the best in the business nor fastest. I was aiming for something simple and reliable not necessarily fast. I was also thinking of this from Cabelas as well.
    RCBS Advanced RC Supreme Master Reloading Kit

I was hoping of reloading 30-06 for hunting, I need the accurate rounds and would much rather spend time rather than money on nice rounds (plus always wanted the feeling of bringing down the trophy with my bullet).

Thanks to all y`all for any help you can give me, I apologize for not being better informed I always babied my rifle and its time I stop neglecting the ammunition its being fed. Thanks again, happy holidays to ya and good shooting

(Tioga County)

Default Re: Equipment Advice for a first timer

For a simple cheap way to go look at the Lee anniversary kit. It will make rounds as good as any other. not fast but it will do for a low volume outfit.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthPawPatriot View Post
    Pro 2000 Progressive vs. RCBS Turret Deluxe Reloading Kit from Cabelas

I have never reloaded, I have done some research but realistically don't know nearly enough to make the decision. Firstly I was going to buy the Hornady Reloading Manual as I figure learning before acting would help. I was looking for a kit that I could get to avoid getting the equipment one piece at a time. I don't need the best in the business nor fastest. I was aiming for something simple and reliable not necessarily fast. I was also thinking of this from Cabelas as well.
    RCBS Advanced RC Supreme Master Reloading Kit

I was hoping of reloading 30-06 for hunting, I need the accurate rounds and would much rather spend time rather than money on nice rounds (plus always wanted the feeling of bringing down the trophy with my bullet).

Thanks to all y`all for any help you can give me, I apologize for not being better informed I always babied my rifle and its time I stop neglecting the ammunition its being fed. Thanks again, happy holidays to ya and good shooting

(Jefferson County)

I cant find a "Pro 2000"

However, the Lee Pro 1000 isn't really designed for rifle cartridges. The only rifle cartridge that it has shell holder disks for is the 223rem. The press works decent for handgun loading, but I sure as heck wouldn't try rifle cartridges at all.

A turret press will serve you better than learning on a progressive. You can load just about anything on a turret. If a progressive is what you really want, spend the $$$ for a better unit that is heavier designed and has the provisions for rifle cartridges. Syncing up or indexing things on progressives or auto function presses(priming, casing/powder drop, and bullet placement) is not fun, nor really good for first timers. Just my opinion, but there are waaaay too many things to go wrong at one time. The turret will make you focus on one action at a time - which will lessen the likeliness of a mischarging or mis-alignment/timing of things. The powder charging disc are a crappy way to measure powder. They do it by known volumes of certain makes of powder in a disc's measuring chamber. Blackpowder is supposed to be measured by volume, not smokeless - which is supposed to be measured by weight.

I only use my Pro 1000 for "bulk" production of standard loads for 44mag and 45LC. If I need a custom tailored handgun load, or one playing around max powder levels, or a rifle load - I use my single stage RCBS Jr that I've had since I was in my early teens.. ...its about 30-40 years old, maybe more.

My vote = the RCBS turret for now, then add the progressive later once you get some experience.
    Last edited by knight0334; December 14th, 2007 at 12:37 AM.

(Berks County)

For rifle loads like the 30.06 get a single stage press. I would suggest getting the Lee guide to Modern Reloading. Rifle loads are fun to adjust to your needs
    The truth shall set you free.

They can have my guns when they pry them from my cold dead hands

I can not wait until NJ sinks in the ocean and PA has ocean front property

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by bert304 View Post
    For rifle loads like the 30.06 get a single stage press. I would suggest getting the Lee guide to Modern Reloading. Rifle loads are fun to adjust to your needs
    +1 to many points above.

I have an RCBS Pro 2000. I load thousands of pistol and .223 on it, but there aren't any powder throws that will give you pin point accuracy. Progressives are best saved for pistol cartridges.

All my precision deer loads I do on a single stage press and I weigh every powder charge. I use a beam scale since the digitals only weigh to about a tenth of a grain. With the beam, I can see if it's on the high side or low side and make adjustments.....weigh the primers too.

Lycanreloadingisfunthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Berks County)

The only item I have a problem with is the Lee scale. It works great but the scale can be a little hard to read sometimes and also to adjust.

I suggest getting the RCBS 505 scale and you will never have to buy another scale again. The 505 is easy to readjust the scale and the notches are very easy to see.

Other than that I use LEE equipment except my first press that my father gave me which is a CH single press. I keep that press for depriming and for factory crimping rifle loads. It is easier with 2 single press. You will end up with a few pressesand extra stuff.

Don't forget the case blocks they are a big help.

I use a digital scale to weigh my bullets but that is it, use a beam scale to measure power.

Alright, sounds great. Thanks to all yall for the advice I have a good amount of time before I planned to move on this plan so I can continue to watch prices. For the most part I think I would agree and aim towards a single press unless something comes later to persuade me otherwise. And wow just goes to show that I definitely needed to ask somebody, thanks again for the help I appreciate it...good shootin and god bless

(Northampton County)

First, buy yourself as many loading manuals from the bullet and powder manufactures as you can. They are must haves on every bench. Along with load data they will take you step by step through the the whole process. Then you can decide what equipment to get. All the companies offer starter kits, or you can mix and match a piece at a time. By all means go with a single stage to start. I still have my Lyman Orange Crusher that I got when I was 19. Since then I have added a Bonanza Co-Ax, two Dillon Square Deals and upgraded most of other stuff. Good luck.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by bert304 View Post
    The only item I have a problem with is the Lee scale. It works great but the scale can be a little hard to read sometimes and also to adjust.

I suggest getting the RCBS 505 scale and you will never have to buy another scale again. The 505 is easy to readjust the scale and the notches are very easy to see.

Other than that I use LEE equipment except my first press that my father gave me which is a CH single press. I keep that press for depriming and for factory crimping rifle loads. It is easier with 2 single press. You will end up with a few pressesand extra stuff.

Don't forget the case blocks they are a big help.

I use a digital scale to weigh my bullets but that is it, use a beam scale to measure power.
    I also have a Lee scale and an RCBS 505 scale. I use the Lee for weighing my powder and the 505 for weighing bullets heavier than 100 grains. I guess it's just a matter of preference and what you're used to. In my opinion, the Lee scale is more sensitive and more accurate, that's the one I'm more comfortable with.

I really like the Lee hand press, especially for de-priming, it catches the spent primers in the ram, (but I do use it almost exclusively for all steps of the process).
    http://www.leeprecision.com/graphics...t/handprss.jpg
    De-prime about 40 rounds, take out the shell holder and hold the press upside down over the trash can. No runaway primers, not to mention the fact that you aren't tied to your work bench, you can work outside, or anywhere else you want. (Sizing de-priming only, when it's time to charge with powder and seat bullets you want to be away from any distractions, go back to your reloading bench!). It has enough leverage to full length size rifle cases, but I mostly neck size only.
    The Lee Collet Neck Sizing die, Dead Length Seating die, and Factory Crimp die are great too, I've sold most of my (other manufacturers) dies and replaced them with Lee.
    http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/cata...-dlxrifle.html
    I'm in favor of using more than one press if you have the room, and the hand press makes that possible, even in a small work area. I have 2 hand presses and 2 presses that I can mount on the bench.

(Berks County)

I use the same press for depriming 45acp.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast