Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Question Shooting-specific Bifocals

I will be 48 next week and am finally sucking it up and really admitting that bifocals are in the cards. I have a pair of shooting glasses with prescription insert (ESS Crosshair) so I can have a set made for just shooting, e.g. with the close-up portion on the top for my pistol sights, but my Google-fu is failing me on finding any local - meaning walk-in, brick & mortar - shops that handle this or (preferrably) specialize in it. Anyone else have this done? Any recommendations?

P.S. - I have the eye doc appointment in 2 days. Anything special to tell him/her to get what I want?

Thanks.

(Mifflin County)

Default Re: Shooting-specific Bifocals

Talk to your eye doctor before your appointment. A friend of mine did just that, and the doctor was OK with him bringing in a pistol, so they could figure out the prescription necessary for him to get a clear focus on the front sight. I'd imagine not all eye doc's are going to be comfortable with this, hence asking before the appointment.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by IV_Warrior View Post
    Talk to your eye doctor before your appointment. A friend of mine did just that, and the doctor was OK with him bringing in a pistol, so they could figure out the prescription necessary for him to get a clear focus on the front sight. I'd imagine not all eye doc's are going to be comfortable with this, hence asking before the appointment.
    Yeah. Already asked - no go. I'm bringing just the slide.

F^$%!#& hoplophobia...

(Montgomery County)

I need to do something like that too. Can't you just measure at home and take the measurement with you?

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by IV_Warrior View Post
    Be careful of this advice. I used to shoot competive archery and an optomotrist sugested that I bring my bow in and he'd give me a perscription to clear up my sights. He did that all right and when I got the glasses and aimed at a target forty yards away there were four targets, honest. When age catches up you just can't see everything clear. I'd rather see my target and have my sights blur

I currently shoot a lot of skeet when I 'm not rehabing torn rotator cuffs. For that I got shooting glasses made by ESS which is four colored protective lenses and the corrective lens clips behind them. ESS supplied the frame which I took to my optmotrist and had bifocal lenses made and installed. You don't really need the bifogal for shooting but I got them so I can see to keep score at trap or skeet events at my club. They work just as well for shootying rifle and pistol.
    The older I get, the better I used to be.

(Bucks County)

You might consider trying drugstore reading glasses. You don't need to take a handgun or any part of one. Just hold a car key between thumb and forefinger with arm fully extended, using the key to simulate a front sight blade. If you find a suitable diopter, buy it just for shooting, and/or have the optometrist dupe the diopter and install any needed astigmatic correction.

(Chester County)

You might want to talk to the eye doctor about trifocals. Here's a website that I use that explains all the aspects of wearing glasses, types of lens and materials, frames, eye health etc... I highly recommend that whatever type of grind you get on your lens that you do it on polycarbonate. Polycarbonate is what they use to make safety lens out of. They are lightweight and scratch resistant. Read about the lens materials too.

http://www.allaboutvision.com/lenses/multifocal.htm
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Bucks County)

I'm having a similar issue. I had lasik surgery back in January and, even with leaving one eye a bit short for reading, I am having issues with the sights now. Mostly this has been due to eye dominance issues where my right eye can now see the sight and my left eye the target, so the left eye takes over. I've ended up shooting with my left eye closed, which works out great for hitting the bullseye, but not so great for tactical vision.

I decided last week to order a crimson trace laser to see if I can just use that instead of the sights. Didn't want to go with glasses for shooting because I don't want to go fishing for them in the middle of the night if I need them in an emergency.

Once it comes in and I have a chance to use it I'll post a review.

Regards,

BCB
    You don't need a gun until you need one badly.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by BucksCountyBob View Post
    I'm having a similar issue. I had lasik surgery back in January and, even with leaving one eye a bit short for reading, I am having issues with the sights now. Mostly this has been due to eye dominance issues where my right eye can now see the sight and my left eye the target, so the left eye takes over. I've ended up shooting with my left eye closed, which works out great for hitting the bullseye, but not so great for tactical vision.

I decided last week to order a crimson trace laser to see if I can just use that instead of the sights. Didn't want to go with glasses for shooting because I don't want to go fishing for them in the middle of the night if I need them in an emergency.

Once it comes in and I have a chance to use it I'll post a review.

Regards,

BCB
    I don't have a Crimson Trace on my Taurus 617, but rather a Laserlyte grip laser sight, and I can say it's a huge improvement over the tiny open sights for us with gimpy eyes. I'm not doing any long-range shooting with a 2" snubby and at room-size distances it's the cat's patootie. Let us know how well the Crimson Trace works outdoors in sunlight. The Laserlyte is damn near invisible in bright sun.

(Philadelphia County)

I had a pair made as a trifocal. Reading prescription in the top and bottom of the lens. I don't think I'll go that way again. Needs a tall frame and looking through the lens is uncomfortable for walking.

They were also difficult to manufacture and could not be progressive.

I'd (and I will myself next time) get your regular prescription and have them mounted in the frame upside down. Put the reading section at the top. That should be easy to do.

As far as taking a pistol in for measurement. Not really needed. Depth of field is not that small. Just hold your hands like you are aiming and stick your thumb up. That is rear sight distance. If you can see your nail sharply you are good to go.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast