Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: FFL

(Allegheny County)

Default FFL

I'm thinking about applying for an FFL. Is it worth the money and aggravation?

(York County)

Default Re: FFL

if you have time to buy low and sell high, and are tuned in to the crazy market of recent years and are very well educated, you might do well. if you don't and aren't, you will loose your ass while looking like a buffoon and pissing off your wife.

i used to buy local auctions and flog stuff on the web, but web buyers are getting freaky as more newbs get into the hobby. local auctions are a joke anymore, especially if they are close to the maryland border. the milsurp import boom of 2000-2009 is over, so you can't get much of interest there anymore. it's a risky and unpredictable time to get into the biz.

if you go in small scale and stick with fudd stuff you will have a more predictable, if more boring time of it.

a classic example of gun dealer fail is the dufus at layman's trying to gunbroker auction a post ban chinese AK refurbed as a half ass pre-ban factory folder clone. he claims not to know it is a fraud, and is asking over 2 grand. it might have sold for that a year ago if it was genuine, but in truth it is worth about a grand as a "looks almost like a desirable gun" hodge podge. either way, he is screwed because it is not what he says it is. the serial number and lack of bayo lug and mismatched pistol grip tell us that. he's prolly just in over his head.

you don't wanna be in over your head. it's expensive to make mistakes or to misjudge the current market, or to fail to respond to the frequent changes in it in recent years.

not shutting you down, just giving you some things to think about.

(Washington County)

Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

(Allegheny County)

Excellent info and insight my friends! This may not be something I want to pursue.