Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Firm prices in marketplace

I have sold a few guns and accessories in the marketplace with the price noted as firm and no trades. I can't believe the amount of people offering a lower, sometimes much lower price. Also many want to trade. I was replying to these people but have stopped because of the amount of replies I receive. I don't want to ignore the replies but there are just so many. Some even tell me why it is worth less. If you don't like the price, don't reply when the price says firm.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Firm prices in marketplace

Quote Originally Posted by bvd1 View Post
    I have sold a few guns and accessories in the marketplace with the price noted as firm and no trades. I can't believe the amount of people offering a lower, sometimes much lower price. Also many want to trade. I was replying to these people but have stopped because of the amount of replies I receive. I don't want to ignore the replies but there are just so many. Some even tell me why it is worth less. If you don't like the price, don't reply when the price says firm.

What's wrong with ignoring a reply of an offer you have already said wouldn't be accepted?

Personally whether it says firm or not, I'm one to offer what I think is fair. I expect no reply, but some people overcharge by so much that 12 weeks later they're still trying to peddle the same item.

I know, capitalism. It's cool for anyone to charge anything they want. In the same regard I feel it's cool to offer anything you want.

It's funny, people complain about price gouging and when people offer lower amounts.

Starting to wonder if capitalism isn't for everybody.
    Last edited by yeager484; March 30th, 2013 at 12:23 PM.

I will offer what I think is a fair price. If you don't like it that's fine I will find some one that will deal.
    I always stressed to my son"one shot one kill that was all that is needed". When He came home from Marine Corp Boot camp He was telling me about the Marines stressing "ONE SHOT ONE KILL" He looks at me and the light bulb went on Dad was now a whole lot smarter than he was 13 weeks ago.

(Chester County)

I see the use of the word "firm" as a negotiating tactic.

ETA: I just saw your ad for the mini, seriously what is the lowest you will go?
    Last edited by MartinBrody; March 30th, 2013 at 09:10 PM.

(Allegheny County)

"FIRM" is an awesome way to eliminate potential buyers.

It rates right up there with "Send Email for photos", or "Will not ship", or "If this doesn't sell by tomorrow, it's going up on GunBroker!"

If the goal is to SELL an item, the methods to do so should ENTICE potential buyers, NOT push them away.

Everyone wants to feel like they got a "deal" when it comes to buying a firearm - even if the DON'T get a deal. Getting a $500 gun for $475 is often enough to make the buyer feel much better about the transaction. If you want $500, list it for more and give yourself that wiggle room for negotiation.
    Or just list your price as "firm" and deal with offers lower than your asking price anyway. LOL
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    "FIRM" is an awesome way to eliminate potential buyers.

It rates right up there with "Send Email for photos", or "Will not ship", or "If this doesn't sell by tomorrow, it's going up on GunBroker!"

If the goal is to SELL an item, the methods to do so should ENTICE potential buyers, NOT push them away.

Everyone wants to feel like they got a "deal" when it comes to buying a firearm - even if the DON'T get a deal. Getting a $500 gun for $475 is often enough to make the buyer feel much better about the transaction. If you want $500, list it for more and give yourself that wiggle room for negotiation.
    Or just list your price as "firm" and deal with offers lower than your asking price anyway. LOL
    You would think the sellers would get a hint when they've bumped their own thread to page 2.

(Crawford County)

I think it depends upon personal attitude towards sales. For me, I don't haggle. The price I offer is the only price I will accept. I have arrived at that price after much consideration, and that is what the product I am selling is worth to me. If you do not agree with my price, please feel free to move along to the next offer.

I use the term "firm" to express this attitude. This means I am not interested in any low-ball offers on whatever I am selling.
    "When I hit it, I expect it to fall the hell down and die!"

(Montgomery County)

The worst is when you make a deal with somebody and the show up with less money. I posted a bulk amount of ammo on arms list a week ago, a guy emailed me and we agreed on a price, I took an exceptionally long lunch from work to meet him just to find out his ATM "only let him take out $250 not $300" pisses me off more than anything.
    "you cant fight zombies with good intentions"

My Feedback:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/feedback-109/98731-cmr076.html

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by RXM View Post
    You would think the sellers would get a hint when they've bumped their own thread to page 2.
    I think my ad is up to page 3 or 4... and I try to be polite to anyone who inquires.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by nfafan View Post
    I think my ad is up to page 3 or 4... and I try to be polite to anyone who inquires.
    Well if you would have sold it to me instead of holding out for a trade as advertised...

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast