Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Pike County)

Default M&P 40c question

OK so this weekend I stumbled into two different deals to add to my collection.

first was a S&W 686-1, 100% stock and mint condition...smooth and classy with a touch of sexyness.

Second was a M&P 40c... Gun was at dealer, said to be used. I had another friend look it over. We broke it down, and cant find ANY signs of being fired besides the single test fired casing enclosed in the small envelope. NOT a speck of spent gunpowder/carbon anywhere. Not a mark in the bore or on feedramp, nothing around ejection port. anywho..
    This one has a sku number of 109203 (see link below)

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...-1&isFirearm=Y

What exactly makes it cali. compliant???

Snert..

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: M&P 40c question

The magazines that come with it. They have to be 10 rounds capacity or less.

I think the size of the magazine, and just the fact that the M&Ps passed some California "drop test" that shows the firearm will not fire if dropped makes it California Compliant.

The M&Ps have two other possible "safety" features:

1. A magazine disconnect, which prevents the gun from firing with the magazine removed. My .40c has "capable of firing with magazine removed" stamped onto the slide, right below the ejection port. The "California Compliant" gun may have the magazine disconnect as part of the compliance, so if it doesn't have the "capable of firing..." stamp, it has the mag disconnect.

2. An internal lock, which is just a small hole on the left (?) side, right above the grip, towards the rear of the pistol. If it has the lock, there should also be a key with the pistol.

Not sure if these two things have anything to do with California restrictions, but they're all things to consider.

My .40c has NONE of these extra "safety" features, since I want it ready to go as a defensive weapon.

(Pike County)

OK so with the above posts here is what I have..

If mag is popped/removed gun will NOT fire. There is NO lock, or thumb safety. Both mags that come with it are 10 rounders.BUT from what I see ALL the 40C variants are 10 rounds according to the above link.

Snert

(Lawrence County)

The above post is correct. Cali compliant has to have the mag disconnect feature. If the barrel is not stamped with the warning that the gun will fire without the mag then the gun has the feature. The ten round mags are what either mpc uses. The full mags do fit into the c's

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by dragonman View Post
    If the barrel is not stamped with the warning that the gun will fire without the mag then the gun has the feature.
    Actualy stamped on the slide.
    I think all M&P40C are 10rders(Due to physical size of weapon. My 9C is 12+1)

I'd go with 686 personaly if your thinking about one or the other. Good condition 686 without internal lock are getting harder to find
    I have M&P9C, and 686, and I'd be honest with you, I shoot 686 MUCh more often then I do 9C.

9C I bought it for CCW. and its not most comfortable gun to shoot. But 686, loaded with .38Special +p, with hogue mono grip is just JOY to shoot.
    and shooting full 357mag is fun too(just gets expensive after awhile)
    Last edited by Mity2; October 8th, 2009 at 05:12 PM.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Lackawanna County)

Just out of curiosity, what's the barrel length of the 686-1 you're considering? I have a 4" 686 no-dash (sans "M" modification) myself and it's arguably the finest S&W revolver I ever owned.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mity2 View Post
    But 686, loaded with .38Special +p, with hogue mono grip is just JOY to shoot.
    and shooting full 357mag is fun too(just gets expensive after awhile)
    +1 The 686 is, IMHO, the best of both worlds: The durability of an "N" frame with the ergonomics of a "K" frame. The Pachmayr Gripper works better for me than the Hogue Monogrip, however.

(Pike County)

Ahh, see on 10-3-09 I bought a 686-1 with 6" barrel. While at the FFL i spied the 40c in the case, So on 10-5-09 I bought the above mentioned 40c.

So I do own both firearms. The 686 is mint has original grips, and sights. Clean as clean can be.

The 40c is also clean as can be, and appears to be unfired by previous owner. Both reside in my safe at this moment.

Snert.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Snert View Post
    ...I do own both firearms.

Both reside in my safe at this moment.

Snert.
    My apologies, sir. I misconstrued your original post. I would like to offer my congratulations on your purchases though, especially the 686-1. I've always had an appreciation for S&W revolvers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast