Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Man sues Pittsburgh police officer over Taser attack

Man sues officer over Taser attack
    Plaintiff received citation on South Side

Tuesday, February 10, 2009
    By Paula Reed Ward, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

A Mt. Lebanon man is suing the city of Pittsburgh and one of its police officers, claiming that he was shot with a Taser several times for no reason.

Daniel A. Hackett III, 42, claims that the incident began on March 15 after he received a citation for failing to use a left-turn signal while on the South Side.

After he parked his car, the lawsuit says that Mr. Hackett, an accountant, saw a person urinating on a building and was nearly hit by a vehicle that ran a red light.

"In the immediate vicinity of these events, was a City of Pittsburgh patrol car in which defendant [Edward] Cunningham was a passenger," the lawsuit said. "As Mr. Hackett passed the vehicle he stated words to the effect that 'look ... there's a red light runner and there's a guy [urinating] on a building and I get a ticket for not using my turn signal?' "

Mr. Hackett claims he then walked into a convenience store but that Officer Cunningham grabbed him from behind and demanded his identification. When he complied, the lawsuit said, he was forcibly moved to the front of the store, and Officer Cunningham had his Taser drawn, pointed at Mr. Hackett.

"When he questioned Officer Cunningham why he was writing a citation and requested that his badge number be placed on the citation, [Hackett] was suddenly, without warning, and without any reasonable basis for doing so, Tasered several times causing him to collapse to the sidewalk," the lawsuit said.

Mr. Hackett claims he was shot by the Taser several more times while down on the sidewalk.

During the arrest, the lawsuit alleges, Mr. Hackett heard Officer Cunningham say, "this guy is from Upper St. Clair and he thinks that he is better than us."

Following the incident, Mr. Hackett was transported to UPMC South Side, where he was treated for his injuries. He then was taken to the Allegheny County Jail until about 3 p.m. the next day.

He was charged with resisting arrest and disorderly conduct but was acquitted on Dec. 4.

Mr. Hackett is seeking more than $50,000 in damages.

City attorneys could not be reached yesterday evening.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Man sues Pittsburgh police officer over Taser attack

Thank god, finally someone who actually posts the article instead of just a link.

That guys story sounds fishy, something is defenitely missing.
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

(Allegheny County)

I want to hear more on this one.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

Quote Originally Posted by DaveM55 View Post
    I want to hear more on this one.
    I bet his turn signal fluid was low...
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Monroe County)

Actually It sounds like this may very well be exactly how it happened:

1. He challenged the officers authority by making some smart ass comment about who they chose to give a ticket to. I'm sure it was much more vulgar then what was stated in the article

2. He walked away from the officer without the officer getting the last word in and without giving the officer the chance to demand his papers (Don't see anything that gives the officer the right to demand this information either)

3. The guy was pissed about the ticket and more then likely gave some serious attitude but the officer knew he wasn't on camera and figured no-one would step to the line to challenge him for what he did... he was wrong.

This is something that is actually witnessed way to often. Tasers are used very often when there is no need for them to be used, the same with pepper spray, its the new "crutch" for law enforcement instead of using effective hand to hand and croup submission tactics
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
    I bet his turn signal fluid was low...
    Or maybe just frozen in the cold weather...I hate when that happens... LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    This is something that is actually witnessed way to often. Tasers are used very often when there is no need for them to be used, the same with pepper spray, its the new "crutch" for law enforcement instead of using effective hand to hand and croup submission tactics
    I seem to recall that Tasers were touted as a safer alternative to handguns, that when a cop had grounds to shoot he could use the Taser instead.

Instead, they are used instead of headlocks. Any sass from the citizen, the Taser is used. The least sign of disrespect, any failure to jump on command, and the citizen gets high-voltage needles fired into his flesh.

I think that cops should have to earn the right to carry a Taser. The Taser shouldn't be used unless the cop has justification to use deadly force.

(Berks County)

I think that there are entirely too many facts missing for me to decide where I stand on this one.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Allegheny County)

"In the immediate vicinity of these events, was a City of Pittsburgh patrol car in which defendant [Edward] Cunningham was a passenger," the lawsuit said. "As Mr. Hackett passed the vehicle he stated words to the effect that 'look ... there's a red light runner and there's a guy [urinating] on a building and I get a ticket for not using my turn signal?' "

Does this mean the cop wasn't driving? Was another officer present? Unless this guy Hackett has witnesses, it's his word vs the cops - case closed.
    Toujours prêt

I'd like to hear more of the story, but the tasers are bad news.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast